It Happened?! A FullMetal Alchemist Sequel!

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
Following up from the leak a few months ago. ANN has reported that FMA 2 is in the works. I'm in kind of shock, I hope FUNimation get their claws on this license as soon as possible. It'll be awful for them not too. I have no idea how this is going to work, People are mentioning something like Hellsing Ultimate, but I don't want it to completely disregard the first series. I have absolutely no idea how this is going to work~

Source: ANN

Discuss people!

Those who foster an interest in the gaming industry will no doubt feel compelled to scream," MEGATON!"

I am thrilled beyond belief.

I'm in the firm belief that the story can continue into new territory. However I also believe that they could screw it up. The last thing I want is a retelling closer to the manga though.

I'm not as excited as I should be, considering FMA is second only to Eva as my all-time favourite anime series. I think I'm less excited because the villains - the Homounculi - were my favourite thing about the series and they're all 100% dead now :/ Still, I am very, very excited for this and I know I'll end up buying it on DVD as long as FUNimation keep that wonderful dub!

Sy said:
The last thing I want is a retelling closer to the manga though.

I would also hate to see that; the manga tis by far inferior to the anime when it comes to characterisation and emotional power. Also, the story of the manga just meanders as the story progresses, rather than staying satisfyingly focussed like the anime does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw 'Full Metal' in the title and thought it was a new series of Full Metal Panic. Alas I'm wrong. :(

Really have to wonder how this will work, given the ending. To me, FMA seemed to be completely wrapped up. Still, I reckon bones could manage a sequel somehow and I'm intrigued what direction the story will take. Definitely don't want a retelling from the start though.

I'm still in a state of shock. I won't get over this until I actually see it.

I think, actually, I'm going to wait until the entire series has been released on Blu-ray before I watch this. That would be epic.

I said this in another topic a while ago but I'll say it again.

The TV series was left open and people wanted a conclusion. I would have been very happy with that ending as everything important seemed to be wrapped up and even though it was left open it was fine because you were left with the brothers determination about meeting again and because of their bond I believed it and didn't really need to see it.

The movie to a lot of people seemed like a closure to the story. To me though it just opened up more doors. They're back together again, they have a new world to deal with and without Alchemy it could be a difficult transition. There's so much to be explored in a new series and I hope that if it does go through they don't just pull some sort of cheap cop out by having them return to their universe. It seemed more like a pilot for a new series rather than a conclusion.

CitizenGeek said:
Same here; the manga the by far inferior to the anime when it comes to characterisation and emotional power. Also, the story of the manga just meanders as the story progresses, rather than staying satisfyingly focussed like the anime does.
Somebody actually agrees with me about that?! It's like the manga was begging for an anime series that spanned over 150 episodes and moved extremely slowly. It would have probably done just as well but luckily it didn't get that treatment.

Lol @ the manga being inferior, sure you guys actually read ALL of it? And not just the first few volumes?

I'm glad this is happening. Manga Wrath vs Greed, **** YEAH.

Lupus Inu said:
Lol @ the manga being inferior, sure you guys actually read ALL of it? And not just the first few volumes?
So we've gotta read the whole series before we can form an opinion. I'd say 3 volumes is enough to make a judgement. I liked the anime from the start, not, say, episode 14.

I feel that a lot of the material that the anime adapted from early volumes of the manga is presented in a superior manner in the animated version; links between concepts have been added and the content feels more cohesive and thought out. The manga does, however, come into its own beyond the volumes that had content utilised for the anime. Character relationships and character growth is presented somewhat differently to the anime, and I think a lot of it has been done really well, which would make for a fresh realisation of the Fullmetal Alchemist world if this new anime is based on the manga; there would be a different flavour to it when compared with the original anime.

I have a feeling that, if BONES decided to animate the manga, they would, perhaps, adjust it to their tastes. I don't think humour would be as prevalent, for instance.

Sy said:
Somebody actually agrees with me about that?! It's like the manga was begging for an anime series that spanned over 150 episodes and moved extremely slowly. It would have probably done just as well but luckily it didn't get that treatment.

The FMA manga certainly isn't a bad manga, and it's easily a cut above the usual shonen Bleach/Naruto/D.Gray Man stuff, but it's certainly inferior to the anime in every single way.

CitizenGeek said:
Sy said:

The FMA manga certainly isn't a bad manga, and it's easily a cut above the usual shonen Bleach/Naruto/D.Gray Man stuff, but it's certainly inferior to the anime in every single way.
No it isn't.

SPOILERS PRESENT

EDIT: Ok, let's compare, in the anime Lust was Scar's brothers love slave which we eventually found out and took well over half the anime to finally announce and it was mostly hinted at most of the show and it was painfully obvious while in the manga Lust is a cold ruthless bitch to the end and NEARLY kills Roy Mustang who ignites her repeatedly until her philosopher's stone can no longer revive her and she dies, withering away into pieces and has he stone destroyed.

A clichéd LOLTRAGIC animu chick or a cold ruthless female anime/manga seems to be lacking a lot these days as of opposed to many door-mat females. I'm pretty sure I know which one I want, do you?

CitizenGeek said:
Sy said:

A difference of opinions I guess. Greed, who is by far my favourite homunculi, kicks ass in the manga. Even more so than in the anime, and doesn't stay dead once killed.

But seriously, don't judge the manga based on a couple of volumes, christ... also, they scrapped out a majority of the manga-only characters from the anime, which is a shame. I mean I get it that too many character's in a small series could "overload" it, and throw too many names at the audience, but they should've atleast kept Lin, and his two bodyguards. Lin vs Envy = WIN.

Still, I'll look foward to this. I'm curious to see how they're going to pull this one off...

Why does this feel like yet another Tenchi Universe, or Ah My Goddess-TV, type thing? Oh that's because it is.
Open the gate, another herd of cash cows coming in!

Back