is it just me...

Uixka

Brigade Leader
or has anime distribution and interest slowly started to decline again...?

Since the loss of Anime based channels on sky... cancellations being made by distributors... and slower updates on this site..?

what do u think..?

I dunno :?

The bots has finally evolved to actually post on People's topic =P

As for anime distrubution, I still think it's better than it's been... thanks to Company Manga improved over time. ADV might have pulled out, but they still publishing anime through another distributor and Beez are still great.

But I'm not a regular anime buyer... So I don't know. But I think anime is still being released here well.

As for anime on TV...I gave up on that ages ago. Whilst it's nice to see anime on TV and make it more mainstream, but I ain't particually fussed. I rather watch a fansub or buy the DVDs. And since I buy more DVDs than watch fansub nowadays (THANK YOU, EMA!), then I'm pretty much not bothered with the current situation of anime.

I honestly don't care if it goes mainstream or do extremely well. All anime fans should know that.

Lion King 2 - The Simbas Pride (Disney)
Simba and Nala have a daughter, Kiara. Timon and Pumbaa are assigned to be her babysitters, but she easily escapes their care and ventures into the forbidden lands. She meets a lion cub named Kovu and they become friends. What she and her parents do not know is that Kovu is the son of Zira - a banished follower of the now-dead Scar. She plans to raise Kovu to overthrow Simba and become the king of the Pride Lands. This tests not only Kiara and Kovu's relationship as they mature, but Simba's relationship with his daughter.

I found that quite funny at first. I thought he/she/it was replying to the original question ^^'

The non sequitur bot post was more relevant than most of the trolls on this forum!

I think the industry is going through some changes (both good and bad) right now. But for every disaster like ADV's self destruction and the struggle with TV airings, there are positives like Beez's creative attempts to get the UK market back in the picture and Manga's aggressively priced and marketed half season packs. Once I never thought I'd use "Manga" and "positive" in the same sentence, but there you go.

I feel cautiously optimistic about this transition and with the current currency rates and Bandai's proposed worldwide releases things could get quite interesting in that department, even if ADV and Revelation seem to be having a hard time at the moment.

The TV situation doesn't bother me. It would be nice to have more success stories like Naruto and so on but I won't watch dubs so it's not personally upsetting if it doesn't happen. I'd support it though to get anime more mainstream exposure, if I could.

R

Will-O'-The-Wisp - So did I! I thought it was some kind of comment on how Disney apparently ripped-off Tezuka.

General interest does seem to have declined but I'm not too bothered, it's always been a niche market so whether or not it evolves beyond that isn't a concern of mine. Distribution seems ok anyway, after all that Geneon business and ADV's recently troubles it seems like things are back on track.

I imagaine that the Hollywood anime adaptions on the horizon will boost interest again though, so it will pick up sooner or later.

When you look at the decline in channels and the price of anime series (lets face it no one wants to just buy dvd1 with eps 1-4 on it, you have to budget for the entire series in HMV your looking at £50 -£100) in high street stores its no wonder there is a possible decline.

Of course you could look at this another way and say that there has merely been a decline in legal distribution with fans relying on downloads and fan-subbing to fill the need and not empty there wallets

Ringo~Bingo said:
Anime is too expensive at £15/20 for a couple of episodes of a series, not to mention the months of waiting in between for the next DVD which is annoying, especially when it's already fully released in America! it's embarrassing how out of date the UK is anime-wise! companies should wise up! they should sell the episodes at £1 or £2 each online and hire the fansubbers to sub them as their own attempts at subbing is borderline shocking in most cases! I used to buy the DVD's from the stores at the rip off rates up until 2 years ago, then I realized that I could just obtain fansubs for free that were released fast with excellent subs instead of hoping that the same shows might turn up 4 or 5 years later in the UK with pointless staggered release dates and crappy dubbing! the UK anime industry has to get with the program and cut prices, improve release date speed, and move to online-only distribution.

If you don't like dubs, ignore them. Why does the presence of a dub on a hybrid disc (as most are) bother you? I never watch them either but they need to dub mainstream level shows to sell enough copies to make releasing them worthwhile.

Commercial subs have the occasional mistake, it's true, but the myth that fansubs are always perfect works of fine art is crazy. Sites exist comparing some of the nutty "translations" some subbers come out with for humour. A lot of the "translators" don't even speak Japanese at all but just copy others or edit a novice speaker's interpretive script. Of course there are some skilled people too, but overall it's a mixed bag and anyone who thinks otherwise simply hasn't experienced the bad side yet (or doesn't speak enough Japanese/English to realise).

You should really support the industry for shows you like, even if you do partake in digisubs. If you shop wisely there's no way you have to pay £15/£20 for "a couple of episodes" legitimately! Check out the Sales thread on this forum for some legal sources of 99p discs and discounted box sets. Supporting something is, to me, a big part of what makes someone a true fan of a series.

If you paid attention you would realise that some of the UK anime companies are actually pushing for cheaper series sets, global simultaneous releases and more competitive extras packages. With the slip of the pound importing from the US and Japan is no longer as economical as it has been so this is the UK industry's chance to make an impact and win back some fans. But it needs support to do that.

R

Ringo~Bingo said:
Anime is too expensive at £15/20 for a couple of episodes of a series, not to mention the months of waiting in between for the next DVD which is annoying, especially when it's already fully released in America! it's embarrassing how out of date the UK is anime-wise! companies should wise up! they should sell the episodes at £1 or £2 each online and hire the fansubbers to sub them as their own attempts at subbing is borderline shocking in most cases! I used to buy the DVD's from the stores at the rip off rates up until 2 years ago, then I realized that I could just obtain fansubs for free that were released fast with excellent subs instead of hoping that the same shows might turn up 4 or 5 years later in the UK with pointless staggered release dates and crappy dubbing! the UK anime industry has to get with the program and cut prices, improve release date speed, and move to online-only distribution.
Look at Death Note though - thanks to Manga's twin-packs we've almost caught up with American release. Fansubs are a matter of personal choice and I'm not going to get into that, but I will say don't think the sub quality issue holds up any more. A few years ago it might have been true, but the companies have improved their translations a lot recently, Manga in particular. All this points to the fact that UK companies are wising up.

You hear the "why don't they hire fan subbers?" argument a lot, I'm not sure how some people think the job market works - You're not likely to land employment with a company without applying, and especially not if they see you as being directly responsible for a loss of profits. Online distribution is a good idea, but it won't ever replace sales of physical media. I think in the next few years we will see a move towards the music sales model (a combination of online and retail sales ) not just for anime, but all visual media. These things just take time.

ayase said:
Ringo~Bingo said:
Look at Death Note though - thanks to Manga's twin-packs we've almost caught up with American release. Fansubs are a matter of personal choice and I'm not going to get into that, but I will say don't think the sub quality issue holds up any more. A few years ago it might have been true, but the companies have improved their translations a lot recently, Manga in particular. All this points to the fact that UK companies are wising up.

You hear the "why don't they hire fan subbers?" argument a lot, I'm not sure how some people think the job market works - You're not likely to land employment with a company without applying, and especially not if they see you as being directly responsible for a loss of profits. Online distribution is a good idea, but it won't ever replace sales of physical media. I think in the next few years we will see a move towards the music sales model (a combination of online and retail sales ) not just for anime, but all visual media. These things just take time.

in a sense though this is already begun to happen, online stores such as itunes for example. Also game console online stores like PSN and Xbox Live have been using this appoarch (there was an announcment that Manga have started making a move on XBL)

The fan sub thing yeah i've seen examples of good fansubbing and i've seen terrible examples, so that myth is as good as busted. Plus i think all companies took note of the DubSub incident that plagued a couple of manga ent releases last year, so i would like to think we'll be seeing a constant improvement in that area

Ringo~Bingo said:
just today actually I downloaded, Macross Zero, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, The Place Promised In Our Early Days, Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Afro Samurai Movie, and GITS 1st & 2nd seasons all Blu-ray rips which look absolutely mind blowing on my HD setup!!

Have you actually compared them to the SD DVDs? Its very easy to fool yourself into the 'Phwoarrr!! HD!!' mindset when infact you've downloaded something smaller in size than a DVD and infact lower quality.

DIVX might be good but its not going to compress something with 4x the data of SD into something half the size. Of course it will look amazing compared to a normal fansub ;)

I'd much rather buy a DVD with a good dub and good quality sound and picture. And given that traditional drawn animation doesn't really gain much from HD.....

Its all part of the 'fap factor'. "I've seen episode eleventybillion of xyz" "well I've seen it in HD!".

Ringo~Bingo said:
*insert lack of paragraphing and punctuation here*
Why are you even downloading movies? I can understand TV series, but movies? They're pretty risk free since you're only paying the same price as any live action movie.

Also, you really need to learn some patience if you can't even wait a month between releases. We're pretty damn lucky to be getting anything at all. You say you spent £4000+ on anime, right? So what's stopping you waiting a lot less for a lot more when compared to the past?

And why must you have to see them when they're "fresh"? They're not going to get any better or worse over time.

Umm.. you just said you wouldn't watch anything under 13GB/hr then you say you've downloaded movies that are 5GB total.

Err.... that won't be close to full HD.

Back