Is getting hit by customs just pot luck?

Update on the Gundam. Arrived without being hit at all, great stuff!

I'll certainly be looking at getting more stuff via SAL, the only problem is it takes an age to arrive.

I've been thinking about using CD Japan for one item (since Amazon JP can't do it due to third-party seller/Fulfilled by Amazon reasons, and Nippon is rather expensive due to the shipping), so has anyone got any advice for using the service and how many times have you been hit by customs (also how long does it take to arrive?)

NormanicGrav said:
I've been thinking about using CD Japan for one item (since Amazon JP can't do it due to third-party seller/Fulfilled by Amazon reasons, and Nippon is rather expensive due to the shipping), so has anyone got any advice for using the service and how many times have you been hit by customs (also how long does it take to arrive?)
There is an option to have items sent as a gift, which two out of three times has worked for me. On the third time customs picked it out apparently because it had a pre-printed label (Maybe had the business address too, I can't remember), and they went on the basis that an individual wouldn't use pre-printed labels or something like that. I can't remember exactly, it was a while ago. What are you looking to buy?

Mangaranga said:
NormanicGrav said:
There is an option to have items sent as a gift, which two out of three times has worked for me. On the third time customs picked it out apparently because it had a pre-printed label (Maybe had the business address too, I can't remember), and they went on the basis that an individual wouldn't use pre-printed labels or something like that. I can't remember exactly, it was a while ago. What are you looking to buy?

I figured I would go for the original Limited Edition version of the Madoka Movie Trilogy (Beginnings/Eternal and Rebellion). Rebellion's current position is fine at the moment but I want the recaps (for the OST and because I like the series very much). I know Aniplex USA have a bilingual version but it's not as appealing as the original. CD Japan has it for about £63.59 and Nippon Yasan for £74.79. I figured I would go for CD Japan since it's cheaper but I'm not quite sure about the shipping and how long it will take to arrive (I'm on holiday in a week time so I don't want it to arrive during it).

What's wrong with FBA sellers on Amazon? Unless you're buying in a restricted category like Toys and Games you should be fine ordering FBA items shipped to UK addresses. There are some individual cases where odd sellers don't enable international shipping but I've not actually had this happen to me on Amazon Japan yet.

(I know that non-FBA Marketplace sellers almost never enable international shipping in Japan, but there's pretty much no reason for them not to when it comes to Fulfilment.)

Personally I only use CD Japan for books or very limited availability items because I'm usually hit by a customs charge otherwise. If you decide to go with them I'd avoid EMS shipping as the customs processing fee will be higher if it's hit.

If it's something you're really worried about, have you considered buying straight from Japan and getting it shipped by a proxy? You'll have to pay JP sales tax and two lots of shipping but it can sometimes save money overall.

R

Rui said:
What's wrong with FBA sellers on Amazon? Unless you're buying in a restricted category like Toys and Games you should be fine ordering FBA items shipped to UK addresses. There are some individual cases where odd sellers don't enable international shipping but I've not actually had this happen to me on Amazon Japan yet.

(I know that non-FBA Marketplace sellers almost never enable international shipping in Japan, but there's pretty much no reason for them not to when it comes to Fulfilment.)

Personally I only use CD Japan for books or very limited availability items because I'm usually hit by a customs charge otherwise. If you decide to go with them I'd avoid EMS shipping as the customs processing fee will be higher if it's hit.

If it's something you're really worried about, have you considered buying straight from Japan and getting it shipped by a proxy? You'll have to pay JP sales tax and two lots of shipping but it can sometimes save money overall.

R

Thanks, I double checked and it looks like I'm able to buy items from FBA sellers (for instance The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is available, not sure how long) but they'll be custom'd to death (heh).

I've decided that I'll use CD Japan for Madoka Magica Part 1 & 2 with the Registered Air Mail option which would take 4-12 days (seems reasonable, the top 2 options are always STAY AWAY zones anyway), but at the moment I'm not ordering yet until I'm about to head off on holiday (just for a week). Part 3 will be bought on Amazon JP when I have a bit more cash (like my deposit from the accommodation I've been with should return at some point).

But I'm not worried about Customs. I always hear horror stories about it when it's not such a big deal (I got hit twice at the same time, collected them at the same time), my only complaint is the £8 they always add I never realised it can be that annoying.

Yeah, I find it really objectionable when I pay £lots for Parcelforce delivery and they hit me with a £13.50 (!!!) charge on top of the actual taxes I'm supposed to pay. The worst part is that I paid a lot for express delivery and then I have to wait up to a week for them to fiddle around sending me a letter so I can pay so they can release the parcel. It utterly ruins the speedy EMS experience for me so I stick with regular Airmail whenever possible in cases where the shipment might get hit :/

Royal Mail's £8 is a bargain in comparison but it's still annoying. I love Amazon's prepaid setup. I hope the others adopt it one day or disappear or something >_>

I had a parcel opened by Customs recently. It was just books so no big deal since it was not taxable, but I was very amused when it arrived as they'd only peeked inside, seen the top book on the stack (which was a rather 'special interest' magazine) and then resealed it without looking any closer ^^;

R

I hate customs with an effing passion. Had to pay an £80 fee recently. #PAIN.

@Rui. I might try that. Order a BL magazine with every order and they might not mess with me. Or at least they'll have the image of Naruto and Sasuke making passionate love forever imprinted on their minds, the swines!

Right, I ordered the import because I couldn't hold off any other (time felt slow) on CD Japan. Atm the status is 'Processed', now what other stages occur after that?

UPDATE -

Just had a look at the site, looks like 'Processed' means that they are about to sort out and fulfil the order (in other words, preparing to ship within the amount of days it needs).
The order for the item has been confirmed and we are already in the process of fulfilling your order. In case of any delay or postponement, an update will be sent to you by email automatically.
Now I just have to wait until the status switches from 'Credit Card Approved' to 'Payment Finalised' to 'In Shipping Process' to 'Shipped'. By estimation the item should be dispatched on Friday at least.

I've got something on the way and I know it was marked down, but it should be here by now and so I'm absolutely terrified now that customs had a look inside! I simply couldn't handle another heartbreaking fee, I'm still nowhere near recovered from that last £80 kick in balls

vashdaman said:
I've got something on the way and I know it was marked down, but it should be here by now and so I'm absolutely terrified now that customs had a look inside! I simply couldn't handle another heartbreaking fee, I'm still nowhere near recovered from that last £80 kick in balls

How much did you pay for the item?

I noticed 'all your music' seller on amazon mentioned ages ago. Has anyone ever been hit by customs on an order from them? Every order I purchase from them seems to come from a UK warehouse so I am guessing they stack up orders they receive and send them in bulk from the US then dispatch from UK which would negate custom charges from those ordering.

I mainly order stuff under £15 though. (Region free blu rays)

Edit: I might message them for the same of curiosity and see if they'll tell me how they operate.

serpantino said:
I noticed 'all your music' seller on amazon mentioned ages ago. Has anyone ever been hit by customs on an order from them? Every order I purchase from them seems to come from a UK warehouse so I am guessing they stack up orders they receive and send them in bulk from the US then dispatch from UK which would negate custom charges from those ordering.

I mainly order stuff under £15 though. (Region free blu rays)
My order that arrived from them today was around £50-£60 and no import fees as like you said it comes from a UK warehouse, I've ordered 3 other times ranging from £30-£50 an never been hit. I don't get how you can get hit if it's from a UK warehouse but some people on here have said they have been hit by all your music so I don't know.

I got John Woo's The Killer & Jackie Chan's New Police Story from them today and there's nothing on the external packages to indicate they ever came from abroad so I am guessing they pay bulk import fees per pallet or box then package and distribute individually when they hit the UK. I just wondered if there had been any exceptions.

I can't see how a domestic package with no trace of foreign origins could be charged import duty on either.

So, I ordered DBZKai Part 4 on BD via Amazon Market for £24, my first non-up1 purchase since I started this thread, (lets hope it sneaks under the radar!) but I ordered it on 6th Aug, it's now the 19th and it still hasn't been dispactched:
2nsz3ox.png

I messaged the seller to cancel and he/she/it said it was too late as it is already on it's way, the hell?!?!

I've had it in the past where the amazon seller hasn't changed the order to shipped and 10-14 days is usually what you can expect from America.

Hmm.. did you use the 'track your package'. If so, then I'm sure it'll arrive this week. Usually it takes 9 days to 3 weeks for packages from USA to arrive.

Just checked my email and got an email from Amazon telling me that the seller hasn't shipped on time etc and there's nothing they can do expect for me to contact the seller, but they also stated that until the seller confirms shipment I won't be charged.

Well the seller told me it's gone and if they're telling the truth, then that means I haven't been charged. I'm cool with that.

edit:
the track the package thing still says "we are preparing your order blah blah"

Back