Is 2010 finally the year for the Wii?

liamoflegends

Brigade Leader
As I presume most of us know, the Wii's been very lackluster in core games since its release. We've had to put up with shovelware after shovelware of "My Imagine Doctor/Vet/Lawyer/Politition" or something, with a few bright titles shining out of the dark mass of crappy games.

2010 looks like it's going to break this trend.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Muramasa: The Demon Blade
- Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers
- Fragile
- Arc Rise Fantasia
- Tatsunoko Versus Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes
- No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
- Sin and Punishment 2: Successor to the Sky
- Dragon Quest X
- Monster Hunter 3
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Metroid: Other M
- Gladiator: A.D.
- Tales of Graces
- Sakura Wars

Some are released already (NSMBW and Demon Blade), but that's not the point. With all of these games coming out next year, the Wii may shine the most when compared to the 360 or the PS3, or will it? Only time will tell, these may be the only stars in the dark universe we call "Wii".

The universe of Wii was so dark I traded mine in back in July... for only about 15% of what I paid for it. >_<

:/ They wait until 4 years after I buy it, and then sell it to release some exclusive RPG's I may be interested in, doh. :/

I've got Homebrew installed on mine, so the only reason I use it is because I can use it as a DVD player. The one in my TV sounds like it's going to explode

You also forget the latest Zelda title. Ok we need to wait till E3 for a date so we can't be sure of a 2010 release, but you never know. If that does get released next year, you can count on Nintendo having strong sales.

Someone has clearly failed to notice Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Zak & Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, Klonoa, Punch Out, & Super Mario Galaxy. Thats just the good ones that I own, there are loads more.

Compared to the last year or so, the rate at which high profile games have been released for the Wii has been far less than that for both the 360 and PS3, with next year having the ones above as already fairly highly anticipated, there is the chance that next year will see the Wii having far more chance of topping its opponents next year. That's not to say that Sony and Microsoft have nothing up their sleeves, you have the likes of Mass Effect 2, FFXIII, God of War 3, Halo: Reach, to name but a few as well, so it will be a far more competitive year next year i think.

Not so sure about "Year of the Wii" but it's finally getting a lot more quality releases than usual. Last Wii game I bought was MadWorld but can't be bothered putting in the effort to use the Wiimote for it. Might pick up some of the titles listed pretty soon, got my eyes on Klonoa: Wiimake.

Mutsumi said:
Someone has clearly failed to notice Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Zak & Wiki, Metroid Prime 3, Klonoa, Punch Out, & Super Mario Galaxy. Thats just the good ones that I own, there are loads more.
He's talking about games due out next year, or that came out over the past couple of months...not stuff that came out nearly three years ago. >_>

Mutsumi said:

This is next year, not 2-3 years ago. I'm saying that over the next year, there are more good games going to be released than the ones released over the previous games. Yes those games are good (Although, I have never heard of Klonoa) BUT the fact is that these are only a few gems in the Wii's game library.

The Wii certainly does seem to have a strong line-up for next year (although I doubt Dragon Quest X will be released in the West before 2010 ends and I can't imagine Sakura Wars will be localised). Still, it's doesn't seem like a worthwhile console to own at all. There's enough on the 360 or the PS3 to keep me occupied over the coming years.

liamoflegends said:
Mutsumi said:

This is next year, not 2-3 years ago. I'm saying that over the next year, there are more good games going to be released than the ones released over the previous games. Yes those games are good (Although, I have never heard of Klonoa) BUT the fact is that these are only a few gems in the Wii's game library.
Aaron said:
Mutsumi said:
He's talking about games due out next year, or that came out over the past couple of months...not stuff that came out nearly three years ago. >_>
Don't get your knickers in a twist, ladies. Mutsumi was refrerring to the core games comment.

CitizenGeek said:
The Wii certainly does seem to have a strong line-up for next year (although I doubt Dragon Quest X will be released in the West before 2010 ends and I can't imagine Sakura Wars will be localised). Still, it's doesn't seem like a worthwhile console to own at all. There's enough on the 360 or the PS3 to keep me occupied over the coming years.

Actually Sakura Wars 5 has been localised, its been called Sakura Wars: So Long My Love, and is receiving a full dub cast and its been amercanised. Here's the usa trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zckw2oZyRM0[/code]

BlackWolf said:
Actually Sakura Wars 5 has been localised, its been called Sakura Wars: So Long My Love, and is receiving a full dub cast and its been amercanised. Here's the usa trailer.
As long as by 'americanised' you mean the game isn't in moonspeak, then I am excited. Otherwise, not so.
Mutsumi said:
Thats just the good ones that I own, there are loads more.
Why would you own games you don't like? Buying games for £35 a pop you don't think are even good is just plain silly.

Mutsumi said:
HOuse of The Dead: Overkill was a pretty good game as well, along with Umbrella Chronicles

The point is that the Wii's good games are few and far between. It really is not worthwhile owning a Wii; it's the same situation as with the GameCube - waiting months and months for one good game to come along. I really cannot think of any reason to own a Wii. There have been no genre-defining games on it.

BlackWolf said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zckw2oZyRM0

Wow that's pretty cool. Have you played any Sakura Wars games before? Are they any good? I've always been intrigued based on how popular they seem to be in Japan.

Some of the games on the Wii can be fun though, it's not like there's no quality games on it at all, saying otherwise would only show hatred towards Nintendo's success with the Wii. Games being fun is all that matters really, prove me wrong.

CitizenGeek said:
BlackWolf said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zckw2oZyRM0

Wow that's pretty cool. Have you played any Sakura Wars games before? Are they any good? I've always been intrigued based on how popular they seem to be in Japan.

Sadly i haven't although i may pick this up if things go well. Still not sold on the mix of a dating sim with a Strategy game but we'll see. Reading up on it the series has done quite well for itself...in japan at least.

On the subject of the wii itself, i don't blame the console for its failings, after all its only microchips and other hardware. I blame the lazy developers who see fit to just release pointless minigame collections when they could make decent games that advance the usage of the tech nintendo have created. It's ironic that lack of third party is what killed gamecube (like other consoles before it) but now its a flood of rubbish third party games that's killing the wii for me.

The line up of games there goes some way to redeem itself but we'll see.

oh good lord, did they kidnapp funimation's trailer makers when they made that trailer or something XD

i was waiting for a "yeeehaaww Jesters dead"

Aaron said:
Mutsumi said:

I was referring to the opening post's suggestion that the Wii has not had many good games since its release.

Kyoraki said:
Mutsumi said:
Thats just the good ones that I own, there are loads more.
Why would you own games you don't like? Buying games for £35 a pop you don't think are even good is just plain silly.

Exactly, which is why I only buy good games. I only pay full price if it is a good game & a limited edition release, otherwise I shop around or wait for a price drop.

Back