Inuyasha DVD publisher and connections with ITV

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
According to the latest issue of NEO magazine, Inuyasha will be released on UK DVD by Fabulous Films and Fremantle Home Entertainment.

Both of these companies share a relationship with ITV (for example, they have released the cult kung-fu comedy Monkey on DVD, which is also being broadcast on ITV2 at the moment), leading to the suggestion that we may well see Inuyasha appear on one of the ITV digital channels.

It's also worth noting that ITV4 aired Ghost in the Shell back in February as well as an episode of the South Bank Show which was dedicated to documenting the themes behind and rise of anime in the UK and Japan.

Cool :eek:

I'll be a little anoyed if it is edited but i'm desperate to see episode 17 :cry:

I noticed that anime is starting to apear a little more in the uk lately maybe they will stop editing every bloody show one day :lol:

nickshadow said:
I noticed that anime is starting to apear a little more in the uk lately maybe they will stop editing every bloody show one day :lol:
Nope they won't stop editing it. Most anime has scenes that TV watchdogs don't want children to see (like anything at all it seems).

Could be interesting to see what comes of this. Completely unknown territory and I will probably pick up the DVD box (even though I already have R1 series 1) when it comes out to see how it is being handled.

Well im just happy that more companys are taking up anime titles now an I would say they have got themselves a winner here :) . So long as they dont mess up the dvd release that is, aka editing etc.

I don't see a problem with a bit of editing as long as the DVD release is untouched, bit more TV coverage for anime can't hurt.

Unless they show Gun Do Musashi.

Well, i don't know if this news is good or bad...

I'm thinking now that it may be an edited release... and that stops other companies from sub-licensing it because these two ITV related companies hold the license. *sigh* we can only hope.

EDIT: And before anyone asks why i think this... it's because it says uncut nowhere in the title or details on play.com, whereas Naruto does... (i know that the companies are not related who are releasing these two series, but still...)

I don't think this company's that bad. With their release of Monkey, they went back and dug out all the episodes that weren't originally dubbed and had them as extras as Japanese sub-only episodes. Seems like they put in some effort to at least to give the fans as much as they could.
DaNiMé said:
EDIT: And before anyone asks why i think this... it's because it says uncut nowhere in the title or details on play.com, whereas Naruto does... (i know that the companies are not related who are releasing these two series, but still...)
Dude, most shows are uncut, but they don't need 'UNCUT' written all over them (MVM removed the uncut notice on the cover of volume 4 of Gantz for example). Manga just seem depserate to get their point across about Naruto because there were way too many people around who kept on saying that it'd be cut.

I'm just going to wait and see. For the price they're asking, I want it done properly! :twisted:

Thats interesting, putting all those facts together certainly makes you think it's possible, ITV do seem to be taking an interest.
I wonder if they did air it what type of viewing slot they would put it in, they have a CITV channel, and they also air childrens tv programs on ITV2 i believe, or maybe they might take more of a risk and put it on unedited, or maybe even subbed in the evening.
I just hope the dvd release isn't edited

Ushio said:
Dude, most shows are uncut, but they don't need 'UNCUT' written all over them (MVM removed the uncut notice on the cover of volume 4 of Gantz for example). Manga just seem depserate to get their point across about Naruto because there were way too many people around who kept on saying that it'd be cut.

*sigh* I do realise that shows from MVM and ADV et al don't need to be labelled uncut, however, with shows like Inu Yasha and Naruto, they do indeed need to be labelled uncut... They aren't like most other series, because anyone who knows anything about anime would know that there has been controversy over editing in them -.- As far as i'm aware there were cut versions released as single dvd's then an uncut box set of the whole season, so yeah it would be nice for play.com to label it...

Charter_Mage said:
Thats interesting, putting all those facts together certainly makes you think it's possible, ITV do seem to be taking an interest.
I wonder if they did air it what type of viewing slot they would put it in, they have a CITV channel, and they also air childrens tv programs on ITV2 i believe, or maybe they might take more of a risk and put it on unedited, or maybe even subbed in the evening.
I just hope the dvd release isn't edited

I'm guessing it would be on the Saturday morning slot, i hope that it isn't though, because it would do nobody any favours... Another guess could be in the afternoon slot like they used to do with 'Cardcaptors', which was on at about 3pm i believe, oh the memories. I will be optimistic and hope that there is a subtitled version on later as well, that would be wonderful ^^, i very much doubt it though (oh dear all the optimism died).

Reading the article in Neo it confirms my original suspicion that this is the first part of series 1. The 3 DVDs contain the first 12 episodes, which despite the grumblings I am sure are going to appear, I am happy about. I dread to think of the low quality that would surely appear should the series be released on nearly 9 episodes a disc and this allows for reasonable quality for the series.

It does not make any mention of which dubs the series will be released with and stated that the September release date is provisional at this time.

Uixka said:
THey better have English language on the DVD as well as japanese, or i will cry :evil:

I'd be quite surprised if they didn't include a dub, especially for a series as potentially profitable as this one.

DaNiMé said:
...so yeah it would be nice for play.com to label it...
Point taken about the other stuff, but the blame lies with the company releasing the show and not play.com. They can only list the info they are given, they can't make stuff up to cater to the fans.

It's all speculation at the mo, but an R.R.P. of £34.99 for a dub-only edited show seems unlikely. play.com list the show only as Japanese at the mo, and there is no edited version of it in that language. Based on that info I think we're pretty safe it'll be uncut. (I'd like to hope so anyway! :p :wink: )

I don't think I have ever seen distributor info on Play.com but then I don't shop there myself. I suspect they don't think people care who is releasing something that they might be interested in, which in the case of mainstream stuff is a pretty reasonable supposition. In the world of cult cineam and anime however it can mean the difference between high expectations and dashed hopes.

Uixka said:
THey better have English language on the DVD as well as japanese, or i will cry :evil:
They better have Japanese as well as English, or I will personally come around to their offices and garrotte the whole lot of them. :evil: :evil: :evil:

If it is shown on TV, it will most definitely be on ITV 4 (their channel for "cult action entertainment") and this makes a Saturday morning slot impossible as the channel doesn't start until 6 PM. It will be dubbed, unquestionably, but weather it is edited or not depends on time slot. I can imagine them either showing the edited version at 6 PM, in order to attract a younger audience, or the unedited version at around midnight or later (in order to discourage a younger audience and the complaining parents that would accompany it).

Turtleheart said:
Uixka said:
They better have Japanese as well as English, or I will personally come around to their offices and garrotte the whole lot of them. :evil: :evil: :evil:

If it is shown on TV, it will most definitely be on ITV 4 (their channel for "cult action entertainment") and this makes a Saturday morning slot impossible as the channel doesn't start until 6 PM. It will be dubbed, unquestionably, but weather it is edited or not depends on time slot. I can imagine them either showing the edited version at 6 PM, in order to attract a younger audience, or the unedited version at around midnight or later (in order to discourage a younger audience and the complaining parents that would accompany it).
Inu Yasha is a children's/young person's show whereas ITV4 is based around a more adult demographic (as I understand it). I couldn't really see Inu Yasha sitting alongside the other shows on ITV4 but I could see it on CITV or ITV1 or 2.

Back