Independent Manga Article!

The whole thing about comics not originating in Japan or by Japanese artists called manga still bothers me in the sense that it's just branding. That's why I don't particularly agree with your quote. The fact I feel that comics are often incorrectly labeled as manga doesn't make the actual content bad though.

Can I ask a serious question though and if you think it's out of line then I apologize but do you think that the Manga Shakespeare series has done as well as it has because it's been specifically marketed as Manga?

Haha, no worries, it really is all semantics to be perfectly honest. Using the word "Manga" really is just a way to categorise a product for bookstores and consumers. For me personally, it's just the easiest way to describe my style ^^

I also get annoyed if something is classed as Manga when it blatantly isn't, just to up sales. That said, this is where differences of opinion lie - my definition of Manga is probably a little broader than yours. And that's fine, really ^^

Hmm, yes, I think having the label Manga did help sales of the Manga Shakespeare series. To be fair, Shakespeare has been adapted into comic book format before on a smaller scale, so if anything, that helped to differentiate it from other adaptations. And it is true that all of the work published in the series tell the story using Manga techniques, or at least are quite heavily influenced by Manga - so it was named appropriately.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I've noticed there's another line of Shakespeare manga books coming out (The Manga Edition) that are basically covering the same ground as you guys did at Self Made Hero. How do you feel about them coming out so soon after your own interpretations?

Oh yes, we know them. Rascals, haha. ^_~ We've done a few panels together. Yes, they are rivals. But hey, sometimes minds think alike, there will always be competition.

Focusing back on the article itself, photo time! Below are links to large size scans (so that the text is readable).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3138/3082703846_4144f3a414_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3059/3081866097_bd1a564ed3_o.jpg

Please remember to take quotes/bigging up with a pinch of salt! Newspapers will always show the extremes of feelings XD

Sy said:
The whole thing about comics not originating in Japan or by Japanese artists called manga still bothers me...

I agree on this concept too
Not to disrespect any independent/sweatdrop artist since they do a very good job...just that it donsn't faze me the same

scantily clad anime girls wielding giant plastic swords, and they're all jumping up and down and screaming and buying stuff.

lol nice John, nice

Sweet article. :) It's the only thing newspaper related I've properly read for a long time... Yeah, too many words to look at usually. I have a headache atm from reading the article. :p

i came across that 'Manga life, Find True Love' and happened to read through most of it while in Waterstones
Thing was that i was thinking it was a book on character development withing a comic...only realised it half-way through reading

*nods* I will be the first to say that British artists, even when drawing comics in manga-style, have a definite differences from Japanese manga. And that's cool! ^_^ that's why whenever I have room to say so, I usually say I'm a manga-style artist, rather than manga artist XD I mean, strictly speaking, I should be a Manhua (Chinese comics) artist, as I'm ethnic Chinese, but my stuff definitely looks more animu than Chinese comics... and so it goes on and on XD

Bah, it's been argued to death. Let's just enjoy all sorts of comics XD

LOL, Otaku-san, that's hilarious! Sorry for any confusion with Find True Love XD

sonia_leong said:
LOL, Otaku-san, that's hilarious! Sorry for any confusion with Find True Love XD

eh it's ok
best lol moment

EveryoneLovesABitch said:
Jess..men love a bitch, say 'No' once in a while
Jess: Sure
Now go make me some tea!!
Jess: sure thing ^-^
-.-
Jess:Err...I mean 'NO' :U

Back