In Space No One Can Hear You Clean - Planetes Simulwatch (Episode 26 - Finale)

Episode 4
First time viewer

I don't think this show is really my cuppa tea, I've given it a chance (and an episode or two more than I may usually do because of this re-watch). I'm out.

I'm frankly just not finding it that interesting, but strict slice of life doesn't usually appeal to me either, so possibly that doesn't really help. I read it gets better later on but you need to watch a bunch of episodes to get there, and for me that's a pass.

I don't mind a good sci-fi from time to time but it's not my top genre either, I'd love something like the film Moon in space, the one starring Sam Rockwell, but I like that kind of thing because of the sci-fi and the mystery to it.

I copy, desu.

don't think this show is really my cuppa tea,
As much as I have enjoyed the show so far I feel like I'd be enjoying it more if I was just binge watching it rather than an episode a day. The only negative for me has been Ai and if my first impression was based on 6 episodes rather than just the first I think my feelings about her would be far more tempered.

It's certainly the risk of simulwatching a show you've never seen before.

Episode 4
I think @WMD has said everything I was thinking. The best part was the kid giving it all the elitest crap, but as soon as Ai punches him the whole atmosphere changes the crew all back her, the 2 company people ignore him, his friends ditch him and his dad's rep tells him off. It's only the 2 annoying debris managers still trying to grovel (god I hope their screen time is cut soon!)

Manga note: Pretty sure it's all original material.

@Lordhippos Hey ho, weren't you checking if you wanted to buy it, IIRC? At least you dodged wasting money if you don't like it.
I love some SOL and Sci-fi of all types. Apart from the managers the characters are growing on me. Ai and Hachi will probably (this is half remembered/half prediction) change each other for the better.
Moon's great BTW 👍

I'm usually OK with watching something an episode or two a day so that's fine, I don't really binge anything because if I like it, I don't want to finish it in one day.

But it's probably more me than the show, I just like what I like I guess!

I think the commentary around trash and it being "someone else's problem" is still true to this day though, that's a good message to send, that there are people that have to clean up after those who make mess.

Hey ho, weren't you checking if you wanted to buy it, IIRC

Correct indeed, friend of mine accidentally ordered 2 copies (somehow, it really escapes me how this is possible) so I was seeing if I liked it, would have gotten 2nd copy from them :)

I don't think this show is really my cuppa tea, I've given it a chance (and an episode or two more than I may usually do because of this re-watch). I'm out.
Lucky bloody you. I'll stick with it only because I bought the thing. 🤦‍♂️
If I was streaming it, I wouldn't have made it past episode 1.

For me, this series has only oscillated between being irritating and outright boring, and I don't like any of the characters. God help me, the manager and his deputy with their shrieking, campy voice acting...

With that out of my system and not wishing to p*ss on everyone's parade, I'm also out. But only of posting, sadly.

"Ai copii." 😑

With that out of my system and not wishing to p*ss on everyone's parade, I'm also out. But only of posting, sadly.
Affinity over -9000 😜

Actually I scored it a 9 because I remember really liking it, but I joined MAL (checks old posts) 10 years! after I watched it. I gave the manga an 8 and at the moment I would say it's probably a 7, just because of the annoying anime original characters.

Like I said I don't mind SOL, hell, one of my favourites this season is about a girl who buys a motorbike and then rides said bike! But I will say that there could be more space work and less moralising.

As much as I have enjoyed the show so far I feel like I'd be enjoying it more if I was just binge watching it rather than an episode a day.
I’m honestly feeling the same way with Planetes, and am tempted to simply wait to watch the series in full at a later time and hopefully appreciate/enjoy the series more.

Edit: I am indeed bowing out of this simulwatch to view the series in full later on. Hope everyone who’s still watching enjoys the series!

Last edited:

Believe in the me that believes in you! :cool: 🔥 🤜

I'm trying to learn that if I don't like something much it's probably not worth spending too much of my time on, especially when I do have things to try on my list :)

I give everything I sit down and watch a fair try, but sometimes things just don't click. I don't need action galore or anything, I like all sorts of shows, but I need to click with it on some level, whether it be the art, characters, story, setting (some combination of these).

This is a bit of a classic though so I feel like it was worth trying at least, glad I gave it a shot!

Episode 4

Some more reality checks with today's lovely lesson being that of **** rolling down the hill.

1621123227871.png

I expected the idealistic Ai to be rejecting any pandering to the spoilt brat by the comic-relief pen-pusher management duo (actually that's giving them credit that should really all go to the poor temp), so it seemed odd how she took the pragmatic approach for as long as she did. I'm liking Fee & Yuri's characters, and good to see someone taking the side of the team when the bosses are ready to throw them under the bus.

Again, interesting commentary on day-to-day real life issues but I feel that would be better served with a little less comedy and a bit more objectivity in portrayal (even though, as for example with Ai, I do believe her idealistic self-righteousness is being set up for a fall and reality-check). That's just me though and I suspect, or hope, that it gets a lot more serious as the show progresses.

Every time I see the CGI space station, I always think it's pretty good and holds up.
I thought the same that the CGI of the station was pretty good for it's time (as an example I hated the CGI in Skyscrawlers from around the same period I believe)
It's certainly the risk of simulwatching a show you've never seen before.
I don't really binge anything because if I like it, I don't want to finish it in one day.
I too try and savour shows I'm enjoying and avoid bingeing but then again shows that I'm failing to like but really want to give a chance based on reputation, those I'm quite happy to binge until they pick up the pace heh. I am enjoying Planetes with the sci-fi elements and realistic portrayal of the dull realities of life with characters that show potential with hidden depths. I do love my sci-fi and slice-of-life though, so that helps no doubt (and I also concur that Moon is fantastic).
Sorry dude, but maybe it will start growing on you (I have some distant memories of dropping a seminal show after a few episodes first time around heh). If not, hopefully you'll be able to recoup your losses by selling it off to fan on eBay..

Episode 5

Most obvious pick pocketing I've ever seen!

So much drama in this episode! A family on the run preparing for a murder suicide, an illegal film crew making a movie and an opportunist pickpocket on a crime wave! All while the main team just want to get to the moon for some R&R. The way these seperate story threads intertwine throughout and eventually all coalesce into a big stand off at the end was some pretty brilliant storytelling.

For once Ais differences to Hachi got to be shown in a positive light as she clearly was better at interacting with the child than he was. The kid still seems to like Hachi more by the end though which was pretty amusing.

It's also nice to see someone from outside of the debris crew (Hachis pilot friend) who actually respects and trusts them! Especially ad the situation got out of hand. This was my favourite episode so far. We know the team now and can put them in unusual circumstances and see how they react.

And what as up with that flip phone space ship?!

Episode 5
Again @WMD has beaten me to it. I agree it's the best episode so far because no managers \o/ Actually didn't really think about that until afterwards.
The one off characters all seem to represent how life can turn out if things don't go right for whatever reason. The pickpocket resorting to petty crime and the parents so desperate they consider murder-suicide as a way out (I cried at the scene where they were trying to persuade their child to take the "medicine"). Ironically the pickpocket accidentally did a good deed! Then, even though they were this episodes comic relief, the film crew must have been pretty desperate to illegally film their movie. Obviously Ai had a problem with this, but I was surprised Fee was that bothered, but even with a pretty relaxed attitude she is a company girl and has towed the line numerous times and they are on a company ship.
Really liked the team work between Hachi and his friend. There's a sort of telepathy between friends and Cheng-shin knew Hachi would be up for playing the action hero.

Manga note: again all original.

Episode 5

Maybe Branson would have had more luck with his Virgin tourist space shuttles if they were designed like flip-phones too. The interactions between the kiddo and Hachi were very sweet, kindred spirits right there. It didn't appear that they were registering this in particular, but the exchange between the kidnapper and parents on the best laid plans in life, seemed to be (written in) for Hachi & Ai's benefit. Lastly, there is probably nothing more heartbreaking than the desperation of a parent to feel that ending their family's life is the only option left.

The way these seperate story threads intertwine throughout and eventually all coalesce into a big stand off at the end was some pretty brilliant storytelling.
That was very nicely done. That film crew were quite amusing (especially that vampire dude that seemed to spend more time knocked out than conscious heheh).
The one off characters all seem to represent how life can turn out if things don't go right for whatever reason.
This nicely fits with the show's themes on the realities of life and uncertainties of fulfilling ambitions.

Episode 6
Ninja!
Um, oh dear. After the seriousness of the last episode this was very much a comedic episode with a bunch of weaboos pretending to be ninjas and another one meeting Hachi in a marriage meeting that he didn't sign up for! Marriage meetings seems weird if her and her parents are Western, but looking up her name, Citta, I found a website that says it's Indonesian so I guess would fit if they're Asian. Her ex definitely seems Western and although the subs say Miss, Sullivan could well be her married name. The greeter says sama which is a way to greet a customer (or those of higher status), but is used in the same way as san as it's used for both male and female with no delineation between Mr, Mrs, Miss and Ms.
Anyway the whole thing seems to have been to find a reason why Hachi broke his leg as a set up for the next episode which follows the manga, although in the manga he did it at work landing awkwardly on the surface of a ship.

Back