In Memoriam: When DVDs become coasters

Check your discs!

It's so easy to buy something, and leave it in the cellophane for when you next have time. You can have unwatched discs stretching back years!

I bought the 20th Century Boys trilogy, telling myself I'll get around to watching it when I have time. And yesterday, got to movie three, and it died after the layer change. Freezing, chugging, pixellating and dying on all my players.

Now 4 Digital Asia, who released the boxset don't exist anymore, although4 Digital Media still does. I doubt they'll be offering any replacement discs, and neither will the store I bought it from... Play.com way back in 2010.
Ah that sucks dude, sorry to hear that. It's actually one of my biggest fears when I look at the more expensive items in my backlog.

I bought the 20th Century Boys trilogy, telling myself I'll get around to watching it when I have time. And yesterday, got to movie three, and it died after the layer change. Freezing, chugging, pixellating and dying on all my players.
Ugh, that's annoying. If it's any consolation, the third movie wasn't very good. It basically descended into nonsense by the end.

Sorry, wildy off topic, but... I must know what you thought of this cultured series? 😛 I watched all of the first season and was very impressed by the background art but otherwise not a massive fan (I mean sure the boobs and whatnot were nice but I wish more of these shows didn't feel like they are going out of their way to insult my intelligence and be a bit creepy while they're at it.)
It was ok-nothing special but a good way to get some quick entertainment.

I don't post here often, so advance apologies from a longtime lurker. My question is--does anyone know of a program that can check for read errors on optical media that is Mac compatible? I used ImgBurn back in the day, but have moved on from the PC ecosystem. I have a lot of BDs and DVDs that I would like to verify on my M1 Mac Mini without having to watch the entire discs! Thanks!

Ugh, that's annoying. If it's any consolation, the third movie wasn't very good. It basically descended into nonsense by the end.

Went through that warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and found the review copy that 4Digital Asia sent me back in the day. Single layer DVD-R with no menu or extras, but it had the movie in chunky pixelvision.

I remember really liking the trilogy back in the day... but not so much this time around. I must have had my LOTR hypewagon goggles on when I first watched it.

My Last Exile ADV DVD Collection has a couple of discs that have started delaminating. The surface of the disc looks misty, as if someone has breathed on it. Only the mist doesn't evaporate. It's possible to clean the residue off with soapy water, or lens cleaner.

The surface of the disc looks misty, as if someone has breathed on it. Only the mist doesn't evaporate. It's possible to clean the residue off with soapy water, or lens cleaner.
Ugh, I have a bunch of discs that get like that. I thought it was outgassing from the case plastic, but I'm no expert. Normally a dry cloth is enough to wipe it off. The only one I've had that was stickier and more persistent was the Terminator TV disc that died on me; that was more like the disc was melting.

My Last Exile ADV DVD Collection has a couple of discs that have started delaminating. The surface of the disc looks misty, as if someone has breathed on it. Only the mist doesn't evaporate. It's possible to clean the residue off with soapy water, or lens cleaner.
This a pretty common occurrence-I had the same problem with my very rare set 1 of Blood+. What it turned out to be was the cheap ass thin cases they used for the dvds were emitting some kind of vapor that collected on the data side of the discs. It can easily be removed using 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol and a soft lint free cloth-that and new cases fixed the problem.

This a pretty common occurrence-I had the same problem with my very rare set 1 of Blood+. What it turned out to be was the cheap ass thin cases they used for the dvds were emitting some kind of vapor that collected on the data side of the discs. It can easily be removed using 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol and a soft lint free cloth-that and new cases fixed the problem.

If it was just the case plastic, it would affect all of the discs, but only two out of the seven are cloudy. I guess it’s a combination of the case and the disc manufacture.

You have different cases in a set don't you? One case could be farting on the discs while the other case would have no problems. I had 3 cases in the set mentioned-2 were problematic while the 3rd one had no problems.

You have different cases in a set don't you? One case could be farting on the discs while the other case would have no problems. I had 3 cases in the set mentioned-2 were problematic while the 3rd one had no problems.

This is the final ADV release, all seven discs in one case, four discs overlapping on two hinged panels with eco holes cut in to save plastic, one at the front, two at the back overlapping, all ‘breathing’ the same air. So far only discs 1 & 3 have needed cleaning.

Back