I Watch subs because............

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
basiclly list the reasons why u'd prefer to watch the Japanese subs of a show rather than the Dubs

in my case there's the very rare occasion where i can't stand the dub

The audio is only in 5.1 so Japanese 2.0 is better to hear some of the off-screen sounds (GITS SAC mainly)

or mostly, the reason i've been using the most lately, Insert songs only being musical in the dub, so having to switch to sub to get the lyrical versions

Right,

- It certainly feels more Japanese when with subtitles.
- Somethings are more accurate or are following the basic storyline, unlike some dubs do.
- Sometimes the dub is just cringeworthy, Then at least the Japanese dub wouldn't make your ears bleed.
- Agreeing with the song part as well.

I'm so-so about dubs. In a few rare cases I find them preferable to the Japanese.

The main reason I stick to subs more is most likely because thats how I first see a lot of shows. If you get used to a character speaking with a particuar voice its plain wierd when you suddenly change it.

This is an awfully one-sided thread, lol.
Wildcard said:
I'm so-so about dubs. In a few rare cases I find them preferable to the Japanese.

The main reason I stick to subs more is most likely because thats how I first see a lot of shows. If you get used to a character speaking with a particuar voice its plain wierd when you suddenly change it.
I'm with you. I get used to whatever I encounter first, I'm not particularly fussed either way.

Ushio said:
This is an awfully one-sided thread, lol.
Wildcard said:

I'm with you. I get used to whatever I encounter first, I'm not particularly fussed either way.

ofc it's 1 sided, i didn't ask "if" u prefer subs or dubs, i asked "why" u prefer subs :p

I watch subs because......

my DVD player malfunctioned and selected the wrong audio track. Given a choice I watch my anime dubbed. Not because I dislike subs, not because I'm lazy, but because it is my preference. The dub actors are very talented and give fantastic care to their performances.

I'm a bit indifferent to subs, don't get me wrong I watch a lot of foreign live action films I couldn't watch them being dubbed over. If it's in French leave it in French as I say and so on.

However in the world of animation it's all a bit different, I think you can get away with it. I don't really like being distracted from the art work (Myazaki himself has pointed this out). I agree some dubs are awful but I must admit that the quality has increased in a few years.

I'm all for dubs, it's really up to the viewers in the end really.

I prefer the original sounds/ languages. Listening to the Japanese just makes me happy, it tickles my brain, the same goes for say... a Tamil or a HK film. The fact that it's animated shouldn't matter but it does. I find my eyes glaze over and I stop watching if it's dubbed. I know there are good dubs and I hope they keep up the good work, not their fault they annoy the crap out of me. I've watched literally hundreds of films subbed and even though the translations sometimes are pretty appalling, I still prefer the subs to the dubs. Ofcourse it helps that I'm a pretty fast reader so there's not much I miss on the screen. And If I really like it I can watch it again and concentrate solely on the visuals.

Plain and simple for me.
Dub voice actors are usually awful and after watching things in japanese they really dont fit the characters profile at all.

I like having the option of both on a DVD. Have never watched an anime that has been badly dubbed though either so maybe that affects my choice. Does take me a while to get used to american accents however, but that is my only gripe.

In most cases i watch both the dub and the sub, though its sub all the way when the dub cast is dire. I also watch the sub when i want see if the dub missed anything (important or not). It's also sub only when ever lacus sings in Gundam Seed. sratch that, whenever she talks :p

Dubs are often painful to the ears, they tend to rewrite the script and usually a lack of emotion and acting in the voice, at least with the japanese speaking and reading subs, I can either: Not notice its not emotive since I can't speak japanese or as I read, I make up the emotive language with my mind as I read the subs, not that the last thing I said made much sense.

Link100p said:
Most dubs make me want to sandpaper my balls.

I agree with this. Also;

i) Dubs are usually done with a lessened effort.
ii) Japanese is more genuine to the animation.
iii) Unlike dubs, the speech isn't cut/altered/sped up slightly to sync the mouth.

I can't think of any more, but ya. XD

Chrono Mizaki said:
Ninja Boy! said:
Link100p said:
Most dubs make me want to sandpaper my balls.

what he said

Come on, really...

Even though I am an obnoxious sub fanboy, not all dubs are bad...

Ghost in the shell, FMA, Wolf rain are all good dubs, and better than the Japanese voice imo

I'd must admit after watching a few sub episodes of FMA, I much perfer the English dub.

The Spirited Away dub ain't all that bad either. Isn't there some area's of the Spirited Away dub which improve upon the Japanese dub like more background chatter etc.

I don't think there's a reason that makes all dubs necessarily worse than subbed versions per se. Just in my experience I find subbed is more enjoyable.

The timing of speech in dubs is often wierd. I struggle to distinguish different emotions in a US-accent voice (an issue with my ears, not US accents) as well.

Nevertheless, I will sometimes watch a series in both formats on DVD. To 'appreciate the art' unspoiled by subtitles. Though with some dubs, I would appreciate the art by watching the dub with the sound turned off, and play some suitable incidental music . . .

Back