I Watch subs because............

I love hearing the original voices, I find it more enjoyable, the voices match perfectly because they chosen to match the character. I find the dubs unbelievable I just can't enjoy the escapism that an anime would usually offer.

Example: Steamboy - british london style voices ruin it.

The FMA dubs and Wolfs Rain I found enjoyable.

Naruto and Bleach are very very crap.

Still it all matters on the talents of the voice actors.
If they get a good cast of voice actors then it's going to be enjoyable no doubt.

For example Karas anyone seen that? Nice fricking anime really.

I didn't think that the Bleach dub was that bad to be honest. Though i still can't believe i didn't realise sooner that Ichigo and Vash the Stampede shared voice actors :oops:

This really is just an excuse to bash dubs, isn't it?

Folks who are bashing dubs: do you want to watch dubs? If not, why does the quality of the dub affect you enough for you to comment on your opinion of them?

My personal opinion of the Bleach dub is that while it isn't the best dub I have ever heard, it is solid. It has some high points and some low points, just like the original Japanese version.

The reason I watch subs is for the greater variety of voices, this point made clear by Johnny Yong Bosch getting another lead character role, Lelouch in Code Geass (Jun Fukuyama in Japanese).

Akira: Shotaro Kaneda - Mitsuo Iwata
Bleach: Ichigo Kurosaki - Masakazu Morita
Eureka Seven: Renton Thurston - Yuko Sanpei
Gankutsuou: Albert de Morcerf - Jun Fukuyama (I actually like dub Albert)
Heat Guy J: Claire Leonelli - Daisuke Sakaguchi
Last Exile: Claus Valca - Mayumi Asano
Trigun: Vash the Stampede - Masaya Onosaka
Witch Hunter Robin: Haruto Sakaki - Jun Fukuyama (again)
Wolf's Rain: Kiba - Mamoru Miyano

OK, so he's done 3+ the same roles as Jun Fukuyama but most of the time the Japanese voices sound so much more varied than your average Animaze/Funimation/ADV dub.

Yeah it helps that japanese voices sound more varied to us due to the accent, pronounciation and inflections on words sounding completely different to the way we are used to hearing them.

Plus I love it when they slip in english phrases as it sounds so much more interesting than our own language

I like subs because the stresses and infections that allow for specific and more detailed audio clues that can illuminate certain plot points come across so well in written form. As does the noblest of arts. Sarcasm. (Note: that was sarcasm). While certain fansubs have managed to use things like italics or bold text to help get these across, official subs haven't caught up (if they ever will).

Firewarrior said:
Still it all matters on the talents of the voice actors.

And this point has more merit than people seem to give it, and a few other points that may have been missed. It does depend on both VA's and the directors, and should be taken on a series by series. Reason i say this is because some VA's can do amazing and truly dire dubs, eg Monica Rial (Rahxephon, Speed Grapher and Tsubasa have great dub voices by here, but Moon Phase, Elfen Lied and Kyoko Tokiwa are ball sanders)
Seemingly Shonen shows seem to have the worst dubs, while those shows aimed at a older age range seem to have better dubs. Since I don't watch these shows never really had many complaints about dubs.

If you watch anime with subtitles you are still allowed to watch it with the sound on!

Despite not being able to understand Japanese I can manage to detect stresses and infections from the speaker. Plus with one of the main characteristics of anime being the large amount of expression drawn on faces it really is quite easy to detect all sorts of feelings and emotions and what not.

I like subs as I’ve always seen anime as a ‘Japanese’ thing and I guess that I like to try and experience it in something as close to it’s true form as I can manage. I admit that failing to be fluent in Japanese prevents a perfect experience but it’s as close as I’ll get.

One particular ‘advantage’ to watching subbed anime is that the Japanese language seems to have an effect that keeps other people away. Thus I am never disturbed while watching anime (or Japanese movies) by anyone.

Some dubs are dire, and some dubs are quite good. It all depends on the script and the quality of the voices actors. Obviously these things are slightly masked when you're watching a foreign language video and reading someone's interpretation in the translation.

But, I enjoy subs because it's the way the original director intended and I enjoy trying to learn some of the words and the language!

I mainly watch subs, mostly because i prefer to watch the series in its original format, and i find that on most cases, the original VA's match their roles far better than the dub VA's. Then again there is still a fair few dubs that are worth watching and with the likes of Black lagoon, i feel that i prefer the dub, simple because for example Dutch actually sounds like a bad ass black dude, and it just suits him far better.

i admit some dubbed versions are rather bad (tokyo underground,love hina)
i only watch subs when i can't watch the dubs eg (naruto,bleach)
hasn't anyone heard the saying (which some dude..i forgotten his name)said?
if you watch it in your own language you can admire the action and artwork rather then constantly looking at the subtitles at the bottom(kinda sommat like that ^_^;)

rocklee said:
i only watch subs when i can't watch the dubs eg (naruto,bleach)
hasn't anyone heard the saying (which some dude..i forgotten his name)said?
if you watch it in your own language you can admire the action and artwork rather then constantly looking at the subtitles at the bottom(kinda sommat like that ^_^;)
Thats a saying? Like Really?

I like the Bleach and Naruto dubs to be totally honest, I've grown akin to them now.

Firewarrior said:

The Bleach Dub? Crap? Man, Bleach has one of the best dubs around. The voices match the characters almost pefectly. Ichigo's voice is great as well as Chad's, Uryu's, Aizen ect. (Though I will admit there are a couple of cheesy dubs voices in Bleach like Hitsugaya's).
As for the Naruto dub...Naruto's voice is much worst than the japanese as well as a few others but I can't say it's on the level of "very very crap".

Deidara said:
Firewarrior said:

The Bleach Dub? Crap? Man, Bleach has one of the best dubs around. The voices match the characters almost pefectly. Ichigo's voice is great as well as Chad's, Uryu's, Aizen ect. (Though I will admit there are a couple of cheesy dubs voices in Bleach like Hitsugaya's).

While the Bleach dub is far from being crap, it is also far from being one of the best dubs around. For a look at some of the best dubs around, check out ROD the TV, Princess Tutu, or BECK.

Fudce said:
Deidara said:
Firewarrior said:

While the Bleach dub is far from being crap, it is also far from being one of the best dubs around. For a look at some of the best dubs around, check out ROD the TV, Princess Tutu, or BECK.
The Bleach dub is good except for Orihime whose voice just grates my ears and leaves them bleeding.

i adore the Naruto dubs ><i>< and Hayete's voice was fab!
i'm 50/50 on the bleach dub (maybe cause i haven't seen alot of it)

in regards to the last post i did it was a Japanese animation person (either designer or director)

Back