How many anime have you dropped?

My god, I completely forgot about Beyond the Boundary. I splashed out on the Blu-ray version after reading a certain very favourable review of it.

The reviewer promised me "a mix of intense action, deep story and exciting and deep characters, the likes of which I have not seen in some while." He enthused how he "could keep going on and on about all of the various hooks and character developments that are opened up" in the series.

What I got were a bunch of one-note cliché character types, thrown together at the very beginning without any convincing story build-up; repetitive, implausible dialogue between characters displaying no camaraderie; tiresome "quirks" in place of personality; and none of the promised character development. Even the action scenes, which were the main focus of the trailer I watched, couldn't save it for me. And the short sketches included in the BD extras were painfully unfunny.

It wasn't a memorable series; about the only thing I can recall about it by now is Mirai's constantly repeated catchphrase. If I had to listen to her say "Fuyukai desu!" ("That's so unpleasant") just one more time... (See above post.)

Apparently Manga are releasing the pair of films. Yay.

For me it was just ok. The best part was an action scene almost at the end.. Not sure if I will ever watch the movie.

Perhaps I'll rewatch Beyond the Boundary in the run up to the films being released. I always like to watch everything I buy for at least a second time. That said, I've yet to rewatch Iria. Perhaps I'll just never quite get around to that.

I'll most likely never rewatch Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere. I bought it for a laugh because I found a cheap second-hand copy, and because an article on Manga's website suggested that it was possible to see it as a "hyper-parody" of Code Geass. It really isn't!

I'll most likely never rewatch Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere. I bought it for a laugh because I found a cheap second-hand copy, and because an article on Manga's website suggested that it was possible to see it as a "hyper-parody" of Code Geass. It really isn't!

What drugs were they on when they suggested that? The anime of Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon is basically a piece of crazy fun aimed predominately at those who are already reading the light novel series, which itself is part of a wider universe designed and fleshed out years before anyone even came up with the idea of Code Geass.

I have literally no idea where writer Andrew Osmond got that from! It's pretty wide of the mark. :p

The Horizon anime was very much... its own thing.

(What that "thing" was, though, I still have no idea. It was sometimes hard to tell whether the script was too clever to be able to follow, or just a random mess! :p)

I don't tend to drop series very often but similarly I put things on stalled with the intention to finish them later which might as well be dropped I suppose.

In terms of hard drops of shows that I have no current plans to ever finish they are the following (The reasons came from a Blog Post I did awhile back so I figured I would paste these into this comment to) -
  • Area no Kishi - I've been meaning to watch a good football anime for awhile and this seemed to have potential until Episode 3. Without spoiling this early major twist all I can say is once said twist was revealed I felt the entire rest of this series and all it's likely major plot points flash before my eyes. The twist is so cliche and melodramatic in context I couldn't see myself watching on without getting frustrated at every turn. I may return to the show one day but right now it's just not on my radar to give the time to a series that in all honesty I feel as though I've seen already.
  • Digimon Season 1: Digital Monsters - I was a Pokemon kid, I was 10 in 1997 when the Anime first aired in the UK basically making me the exact right age demographic for the series and I loved it, the games and the Trading Cards. I mention all that because by the time Digimon finally aired in the UK in 2001 I was 14 and understandably I was no longer in the shows age demographic. So watching this series for the first time in 2015 and having zero nostalgia for it led to a honestly flat experience. I didn't enjoy the overly 90's presentation (fellow 90's kids will understand what I mean) with it's loud colors and irritating music. I thought the story was slightly more interesting than Pokemon on paper but the design of everything was much less well thought out. These type of series just don't appeal to me anymore, it's sad but I just can't take my mind back enough to enjoy them like I once had, the length of each series not helping either. I might eventually watch all of the original series of Pokemon one day but that might be the best I can manage. Sorry Digimon but hey at least I tried right?
  • Dragon Drive - Dragon Drive much like Digimon is a series I wanted to enjoy but just couldn't get into the right frame of mind. Clearly aimed at pre-teens this show has all the bell's and whistles you'd expect of something like Digimon and Pokemon. At first I was kinda into it. Dragons are cool and the Virtual Reality fighting game in the show was a neat idea. It seemed like the show was going to go down the Tournament genre route and I was somewhat looking forward to it. But at around episode 9 or 10 a twist is introduced that changes the whole show and it just turned me off entirely. It's not a bad twist and I can see how it would work for the intended audience but for me I just lost all interest almost immediately. I managed a couple more episodes hoping that the twist was just a minor distraction but it quickly became clear this wasn't going to be the case so regretfully I decided to leave it at that.
  • Fighting Foodons - A type of series that I've pretty much just lost all interest in as explained with my thoughts on Digimon.
  • Ganba Fly High - I like this show, it's subject is something seldom explored in Anime and overall I have no real complaints about the show at all. So why didn't I finish it? Basically the only way to watch this show in 'English' is by some poorly translated asian subtitles likely of Hong Kong origin. It was just too frustrating an experience to know what I was watching was an okay sports series that was being ruined for me by subtitles that barely made sense half the time. For now I have dropped the series, I have no idea if the show will ever get the proper translation it totally deserves but until that happens I can't bring myself to continue to effectively ruin the show for myself by wrestling the grammar out of each poorly translated sentence, I'm just not strong enough
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers - Hetalia is a really fun idea that sadly got old for me really fast. I love the first sketch where each country is stereotypically represented by Bishonen guys around a UN like meeting table. Unfortunately I feel like the show sort of crescendoed right there and then and from there on the jokes worked less and less for me and by halfway though the first series I had just lost interest. I had enjoyed my time with the show but wasn't particulary desperate to see anymore (which there is alot alot more) and I decided to just tie a bow on it.
  • il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion - I never watch series while they air. I have on occasion but it's not something I tend to do as I much more enjoy marathoning a series after it has aired so I can put the maximum investment into the series emotionally without feeling disconnected to it. I mention all this because for the Summer 2013 season I actually did watch ALOT of shows while they aired after committing myself primarily to Attack on Titan from the previous season. One such show I picked to watch in conjunction with many others was this series. I had hoped that after my experience with Madoka Magica that this Magical Girl series which on the surface at least seemed to have alot of similarities with Madoka could be okay. Suffice to say this show was just one step too far in my one off pursuit to watch a bunch of shows while they aired. By having to disconnect myself from the show week after week I very quickly became disinterested in it. Maybe I might get back to it but again this isn't on my radar right now.
  • Let's Nupu Nupu - Not sure what possessed me to watch this show but I did try a couple of episodes (which are mercifully short) but found little to enjoy. Ecchi humor can work with me occasionally but this felt very shallow and playing to the cheap seats in that regard.
  • Manyuu Hiken-chou - Boobs! Yeah I'm not sure why I thought I would enjoy this series. I must have just been in the mood for that aforementioned plot point at the time and decided to watch one of the most prominent borderline hentai series offering these plot points (dark days indeed). Manyuu Hiken-chou certainly knows why I ( I shamefully admit) and anyone else watching was there. In fact to jokingly refer to Boobs as plot points like I have is actually literally true, unlike shows like Queens Blade or Ikki Tousen these ecchi scenes aren't just by products of action scenes but actually literally are plot points key to the story. After 3 episodes I felt as though I got my fill and have yet to return.
  • Najica Blitz Tactics - Panty Shots creep me out, occasionally this type of humor can be okay and wrestle a giggle out of me in the right context but when it's portrayed at this level of fetishism and is the forefront of alot of this shows action I just couldn't stomach it. Ultimately I had hoped this would be an average girl with gun action series but clearly the makers of this series didn't have faith in just that alone.
  • Ping Pong Club - I'm not a fan of gross out humor. I've dabbled with it over the years be it South Park or Jackass but the appeal is often over with quite quickly. Going into Ping Pong Club unaware of the comedy it had to offer I quickly lost interest in the show as every 'joke' missed me entirely. The series is probably alright if that type of crude humor is your thing but since it ain't mine I gave up on this one.
  • Saiyuki Reload - The original Saiyuki series was one of my friends favourite Anime, as a result I saw to it to watch the show myself and eventually I struggled through the 50 episodes it had to offer. I can see why she liked it, it's certainly open to fan girls but I just couldn't get past the dull story. As an adaptation of the classic tale of the same name I had hoped to at least enjoy that but it seldom entertained. Still despite not enjoying a series I had put 20 hours into I stupidly thought maybe I could enjoy the sequels? I mean maybe the story would be better, the characters a little less annoying and I'd learn what I was missing. Well after 5 episodes with Saiyuki Reload I finally gave in. I think it's fair to say I really really tried so I shouldn't feel too bad about it, but strangely I do. I genuinely wanted to like this franchise but it just wasn't to be.
  • Sketchbook ~full color's~ - This is a totally fine series really. The only reason I dropped it was just how slow paced it is. Honestly each 25minute episode feels like an hour. This is easily the most laidback show I've ever seen and while I'm not totally adverse to slow paced shows, in this case I just couldn't stick with it. Maybe one day I will suddenly decide I need to finish this series but for now and the foreseeable future I've put this on dropped.
  • Tsukuyomi Moon Phase - I like vampire series but I have to admit I was really cautious going into this one with my expectations fully in check. Well it didn't even live up to even my incredibly minor expectations and all my fears were realized quite early on. The loli vampire, the ecchi humor and just the overall presentation left me totally turned off. I struggled through six episodes but eventually I switched off and I've yet to go back years later. So dropped.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters - When I first watched Yu-Gi-Oh I will happily admit that I loved it, I had 97 episodes on DVD and me and an ex marathoned them within a week or so. Thing is that was a very long time ago and in the many many years since I've only managed about another 10 episodes.I put this down to a couple of things, firstly that this sort of series is just not appealing to me anymore and secondly and perhaps the biggest reason is I watched the superb Yu-Gi-Oh Abriged series and now I cannot take the original show seriously at all. I find it impossible to disconnect myself from the Abridged experience and enjoy the original show for what it is, which now with hindsight is actually a very dumb show, so dumb that I just had to surrender myself to the fact it's damn near impossible for me to finish it with my current mindset. I would love to, and indeed plan to, watch the original series from 1998. At least that way I can say I have watched Yu-Gi-Oh. I also plan to watch some of the films because at least they're only small time investments. But another 100 episodes of Dual Monsters? Yeah no thanks.

Last edited:
Back