How fast is your broadband? And do you subscribe to AoD or C

Just Passing Through

The Wildcard
I was wondering what is your limit for subscribing to Anime on Demand and/or Crunchyroll?

I have a broadband connection that tops out at 4MB. That's enough to stream 480 content without hassle, but if I want to watch something at 720 or higher, I typically have to buffer around 80% to watch it without freezing in playback.

That's enough for me never to consider a subscription to any kind of paid streaming service, and probably reason 2 why I don't subscribe to Crunchyroll or Anime on Demand.

Reason 1 is I only watch a couple of shows a season, and prefer to watch my anime on disc and on TV rather than on a laptop screen.

If you subscribe. how fast is your broadband?

I have about 20mb unlimited but I average around 100 kb/s 'cos of the location. APPRECIATE WHAT YOU GOT! (Crunchy, Hulu, etc all work fine with little or no buffering).

I think you also have to take account your ISP download limit as well when using Anime Streaming sites. If you have a very low limit (2gb) you could easily quickly burn through that by just watching a few Anime streams.

20Mb at home 50Mb at Uni. Hopefully 100Mb come September.

I don't subscribe to either service because I don't like streaming in general, and streams just aren't that good when you watch stuff on a TV instead of a computer monitor.
Even Youtube's 720p seems to stop buffering at which point I catch up and have to sit there waiting. So I wouldn't hope for better from either CR or AoD.

I'd love to know the breakdown on the income the studios receive through them though.

I don't subscribe to Crunchyroll, but I do subscribe to Anime On Demand (currently have a Season Pass). I don't know the exact speed of my internet, but it's enough to stream things at 480p (haven't tried 720p though), and I can run the Pokémon Global Link with little problems (although, apparently it slows down my brother's laptop a bit - but who cares about him? xD)

Never had any problems so far, except with Crunchyroll's videos just refusing to load sometimes, but a refresh or trying again later fixes that.

7Mb tops, 720p is fine, so long as it's off peak.

come on guys 3MB is enough to stream most BDs, your connection speed isn't the problem if it's that fast.

I subscribe to CR but have no idea why when I hardly ever watch anything. Oh, wait, I'm dumb. Yeah, that's it.

No problems with freezing on my 10MB connection, at least not that I remember, but I have other problems with the streams like screen tearing and juddering, as if frames are being dropped. Very noticeable during pans and very annoying.

8Mb advertised, but about 6.9 at best in reality. Fine for streaming HD if its performing well. In saying that, no, I don't stream anime, I hate it. I like my anime in a pre-downloaded or disc form etc, so I can direct it to my TV and add any cleanup (sharpening, colour etc.) as I wish. Also, the internet is not reliable enough and streams aren't of a high enough quality. Nor do they normally have dubs, which is a big NONO.

Lawrence said:
animefreak17 said:
this should be in the chit chat area

It's kind of related to anime in terms of the ability to watch it over the internet.

I only get 8Mb max but I have no problem with crunchyroll even a 720p except between 5-11 pm, when my internet slows the hell down and I have difficulty opening other web pages let alone crunchy.
i never ever watch anime on the net. why?
1. its cheating - id rather buy it on dvd or watch it on tv
2. by watching it on the net you destroying the anime dvd market slowly and i like to continue buying my animes thank you very much.
3. watching anime on the net is why some second seasons that we want dont come out, cause there are those who watch it and dont by the animes causing some anime fan/collectors to suffer, unless they by them from the new like axlemusic

hey Lawrence ................. why is it that everytime you reply to me with news it put a smile on me face

well im glad to hear that that is good news

Cmon animefreak do your research before you type :D All anime dosen't have to be on DVD. Crunchyroll and AOD mean that the Japanese companies get all the money back so it's not such a bad thing. It's not stealing, well you can watch it for free on them but you have the advents to put up with. :D

Back