how do you look after your manga

Animefreak17

Godhand
I got my first bunch of manga today and I love the manga but I want to put them in something or put a cover on them so they won't ruin faster over time....

I need some for big manga books and a few for little ones.... someone help me out please... I want to take care of them.....like selves/covers/holders ect anything at all

P.S.
Also to those who have alot of manga.... how do you take care of them... please help a brother out

A few of my older copies (Tokyo Pop stuff) have faded very slightly, and the paper starts to go orange (due to it being low quality paper)

I suppose you could go to lengths to try and avoid this - eg. keeping them out of the sunlight, but as with all these things, I suppose it comes down to how much effort you're willing to put in. In my mind, at the end of the day, they're just books, as long as I can still read them then a little discolouration doesn't really bother me that much.

Lutga said:
A few of my older copies (Tokyo Pop stuff) have faded very slightly, and the paper starts to go orange (due to it being low quality paper)

I suppose you could go to lengths to try and avoid this - eg. keeping them out of the sunlight, but as with all these things, I suppose it comes down to how much effort you're willing to put in. In my mind, at the end of the day, they're just books, as long as I can still read them then a little discolouration doesn't really bother me that much.

What about sleeves and holders and covers and stuff like that.... you know anything like that.... I feel in love with my first mangas and I just want to make sure they are well taken care of.

Do you have any other tips ... like how to look after the spin of the book or anything like that ....

And how do you deal with dust...

any other tips would be great.... please

I just keep all of mine in bookcases. I'm not fussy and can't be bothered with protective covers. The paper getting darker around the edges with time is sort of charming in a way.

R

animefreak17 said:
But it is good that I want to look after them right

Sure, but I think you're overthinking things. As Lutga says, they're just books at the end of the day. They're not the most sturdy things in the world but as long as you just keep them on a shelf, out of direct sunlight, they shouldn't get damaged.

I can't comment for Manga as I don't own any to look after, but for blu-rays I have found that having correctly sized shelves (to the extent of building them myself - which wasn't actually very hard) helps to keep things tidy and safe. Also dust has a much harder time collecting on the tops of items if there is another shelf directly above. Not sure how easy this would be with Manga - you'd need a lot of items with a consistent size to not have to oversize lots of shelves...

Rui said:
I just keep all of mine in bookcases. I'm not fussy and can't be bothered with protective covers. The paper getting darker around the edges with time is sort of charming in a way.
Pretty much this. I used to care about that sort of thing and I still treat belongings with respect, but I think spilling coffee down the spines of some rare first edition hardback books a few years back gave me a more mono no aware attitude to these things. I don't buy possessions as investments to keep pristine, I buy them to use and enjoy and they still have value to me whatever their condition. If things wear and fade through my enjoyment of them nothing is really lost, eventually they're probably still going to outlast me and end up in a charity shop or a skip anyway.

But to each their own. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to keep your things in mint condition, plenty of people seem to have that mindset.

I just keep mine on a bookshelf and try not to bend the spines when I read them. Some of mine have been a bit faded by the sun, but I've stopped letting that annoy me.

I guess I'm one of those people who appreciates what his got and looks after those things that brings me happiness...... sounds silly but if something makes me happy I cherish it......... cheesy I know but I have a hell of a lot of anime that I like so yeah.

But considering this is my first manga I guess I'm just over thinking things a little.

I'm planning on getting the bleach manga after I finish bleach the anime... but only from w he the anime finishes

ayase said:
Rui said:
Pretty much this. I used to care about that sort of thing and I still treat belongings with respect, but I think spilling coffee down the spines of some rare first edition hardback books a few years back gave me a more mono no aware attitude to these things.
In this instance I still recommend being aware first, and aware second.

Mine are split between bookcases, some in boxes and some in piles ontop of said boxes.

I keep them out of direct sunlight where possible but there's not much you can do about the paper yellowing overtime (depends on how cheap a paper they used in the first place)

What I would say is make sure you dust, I neglected to dust one bookcase due to it being tricky to access and I found that dust had built up, attracted moisture and left some slight foxing (brown marks) on some of my favourite titles :( Sucks a little but the damage is not so great and I actually own a 2nd set of later right to left releases of those books too.

not much to do with that kind of paper

my cousin puts her huge collection in these shelves with a glass panel that you can slide around to keep it from gathering dust, and in a part of the house that doesn't get much sunlight to avoid yellowing

Back