HMV

kippy666

Student Council President
Is it just me or does HMV seem to have more anime than they usually do?

I went into one in Plymouth the other day and there were rows of the stuff. Then again this could just be normal for them.

Paradox295 said:
My one usually has 3 shelf blocks full of anime dvds.
Shame that it's usually priced more than on their site :(
Yeah I noticed that as well. The Code Geass anime is co much cheaper on their website then it is on Amazon.

Each HMV store updates their anime at different times. I'd advise going to a city and checking their HMV stores, (they tend to have more choice) as for the prices, store price is always more expensive than online (due to having an online discount and you'll usually find that postage is free too)

Its just the way things go i'm afraid.

I've learnt a few things over time;
-Buy boxsets where possible, single dvd's will cost you more in the long run.

-Ordering online is cheaper than stores

-Shop around before ordering online, what you'll think is a great price for anime might be even cheaper on other retail websites

-Ask the regulars of AUKN if they know any places that are doing deals,

-Check the sales thread for updates of titles that are going for cheaper (the offers may not apply after a while so check the updates whilst offers still apply).

:)

Tachi- said:
Each HMV store updates their anime at different times. I'd advise going to a city and checking their HMV stores, (they tend to have more choice) as for the prices, store price is always more expensive than online (due to having an online discount and you'll usually find that postage is free too)

Its just the way things go i'm afraid.

I've learnt a few things over time;
-Buy boxsets where possible, single dvd's will cost you more in the long run.

-Ordering online is cheaper than stores

-Shop around before ordering online, what you'll think is a great price for anime might be even cheaper on other retail websites

-Ask the regulars of AUKN if they know any places that are doing deals,

-Check the sales thread for updates of titles that are going for cheaper (the offers may not apply after a while so check the updates whilst offers still apply).

:)

Awesome. Thank you for all the advice, I'll keep it in mind for when I'm buying my next series.

My local HMV in Moorgate used to have a small anime section but got rid of everything a few months back. I think I was the only one buying anything.

City boys don't like anime it seems.

Kaede said:
My local HMV in Moorgate used to have a small anime section but got rid of everything a few months back. I think I was the only one buying anything.

I was about to make the exact same post. only about my HMV in Wellingborough. They had a shelf and a half, then a shelf, now what anime they had left on the shelf has been integrated with the films, for some reason. I guess I too was the only one buying them. Thank goodness for amazon, play and/or HMV online shopping, otherwise I'd be screwed!

Kaede said:

Guess that makes two of us then....
Althought I've only bought things from there twice and on a whim...

Bought em in-store, I'm not too worried about the price....i've recently saved a bundle of money by buying online.

Plus, i can't wonder into HMV and Cex most days and hardly ever buy anime ;) that'd be shameful lol.

Bath's HMV used to have a good anime section, it now kinda sucks, Bristol's i haven't seen in ages and Southampton's was killer last time i went to it

memorium said:
Bath's HMV used to have a good anime section, it now kinda sucks, Bristol's i haven't seen in ages and Southampton's was killer last time i went to it

I guess it differs from place to place. You just have to be lucky if your HMV has a good selection.

HMV is brilliant for anime/random ass asian kung fu films, the selection not too far from me is huge! Although not nearly as much as Forbidden Planet and World's Apart

memorium said:

Southampton is still really good, but next time you're down that way, be sure to pop into the Southampton Forbidden Planet megastore, just round the corner - so much choice in there too! :)

Rob F1UK said:
memorium said:

Southampton is still really good, but next time you're down that way, be sure to pop into the Southampton Forbidden Planet megastore, just round the corner - so much choice in there too! :)

I Might be down there in a few weeks....might take your advice, cheers.

Leeds HMV does have a pretty good selection of anime, not that I ever buy any. I'm more inclined to use it as a kind of showroom to check out releases before I buy them online (ironically, often from hmv.com) as it's so much cheaper.

Only tend to buy from physical shops if it's OOP and therefore possibly unfindable online.
My local (back in Wales) doesn't realy stock much.

It's not like manga, which I will buy from a store as there's almost no saving online (they're VAT exempt and have postage costs), also Amazon have trouble fulfulling pre orders ontime so it's often faster to get from a shop.

Back