Hellsing Ultimate?

Leopard-Lad said:
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5508919/Hellsing-Ultimate-Volume-1/Product.html#

Looks pretty accurate by the cover. Guess it is licensed.

Agreed seeing as ADV have the tv series here and the Manga logo is on the cover art shown. Also going by the running time and disc count it seems to be the first two episodes of the ova.

The age rating is just a placeholder though as it hasn't been rated yet according to the BBFC website, though 15s is the most likely cert.

Wow, That is frickin amazing. The license, the cover. Everything. I've never seen any Hellsing - I wanted to see the OVA's more than the series and now the time has come. Amazing stuff.

I wish Manga Entertainment sometimes gave a press release. Besides that, Naruto and Bleach seem to have given Manga some money in their pockets for some other stuff, This is good. I'm thinking a Mangazette should be going around soon which'll mention something about this in their "comical" yet formal fashion. ;p

Yes! :D Feels like Christmas has come early this year!

Now if someone would just license FMP!:TSR then I'd no longer have any complaints about anime distribution in the UK.

CitizenGeek said:
So, do I need to watch the Hellsing TV series in order to properly enjoy this release?
No it's a retelling based more on the manga with higher quality animation. The first episode is good but like the manga just began to delve into stupidity when the Nazi storyline hit. Personally I prefer the Gonzo series, it was by no means brilliant but at least the soundtrack (which actually is excellent) and lack of stupid Nazi plot put it one over this version and the manga.

The Nazis are the best part of the story!! Oh wait what am I talking about?? No one cares about the story since there really isn't one, just more of an excuse for Alucard to blow the **** out of things.

Nazis are usually interesting, and besides, it's about Vampires and it's anime, so I'm not expecting anything other than silly fun with the occasional serious note. I think I'll pick up the Gonzo series soon, though, it's fairly cheap on Play.com right now.

Oh, and yes, that cover is very pretty :]

Hellsing is just fighting, but in an epic way. I read the manga up to like volume 5 or so and the Nazi storyline is boring as hell. I too liked the Gonzo series, even though the ending is unresolved.

Sy said:
CitizenGeek said:
So, do I need to watch the Hellsing TV series in order to properly enjoy this release?
No it's a retelling based more on the manga with higher quality animation. The first episode is good but like the manga just began to delve into stupidity when the Nazi storyline hit. Personally I prefer the Gonzo series, it was by no means brilliant but at least the soundtrack (which actually is excellent) and lack of stupid Nazi plot put it one over this version and the manga.

A lot of people seem to be split over the Nazi storyline. I personally found that to be where the manga came into it's own. I suppose it is stupid, and there is a lull around volume 4, but Hellsing's pretty crazy already so the inclusion of Vampire Nazi's didn't seem out of place to me.

I was really excited until I just found out it's got the Nazi crap. =/

Oh well, I'll have it anyway...especially for that price!

the nazi thing anit bad, if you need some one to hate in a series, nazis fit it perfectly, just look at the indy films ;)

Wildcard said:
A lot of people seem to be split over the Nazi storyline. I personally found that to be where the manga came into it's own. I suppose it is stupid, and there is a lull around volume 4, but Hellsing's pretty crazy already so the inclusion of Vampire Nazi's didn't seem out of place to me.
I hated it, until I realised the series was supposed to be a dumbass comedy anyway.

I find it helps if you think of the plot as being written by 13-year-old script kiddies who've drunk too much coke.

I quite like it.

Hellsing isn't a comedy, the only comic moments are usually with Seras. As for the nazis I wasn't happy with it at first, but as you go through the manga I came to accept it, liked it and eventually found it really enjoyable. Hellsing has got some mad things in it, but it still performs them well

Roadie said:
Hellsing isn't a comedy, the only comic moments are usually with Seras.
I disagree willis~
IMO so much of it is OTT ridiculousness it's impossible to take seriously.
The Major's monlogue on why he loves war, for example...

Back