Hello!

setokaiba

Student Council President
Hello everyone! I've been looking for a community to talk about anime/manga and I love the spirit of forums way more than modern social media, so it's pretty lucky that I actually stumbled upon this site accidentally looking for an answer to a random question. Happy to be here!

My name is Olivia and as my username indicates, I'm a very big fan of Seto Kaiba from Yugioh. I'm also a big fan of 70s-early 2000s anime and I've recently started collecting manga again which I am enjoying greatly. I collect anime figures aswell and I've been an avid anime fan for over 15 years. I live in the UK and it's definitely nice to see a UK dedicated site.

There's my short and sweet introduction since I'd like to keep it simple, I hope you'll welcome me kindly!

Thanks so much everybody for the warm welcome! :D

A warm welcome to AUKN, @setokaiba. 😀

I know exactly what you mean about the appeal of an old-school forum versus social media.

What are some of your anime and manga favourites, then? 🙂
I have so many haha I'll just list my absolute favourites...
Anime: Ashita no Joe, Serial Experiments Lain, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Yugioh
Manga: Oyasumi Punpun is definitely a heavy favourite, too hard to choose between the others I love but I'm a big fan of shoujo romances and of course I also love Yugioh as a manga too.
Animated Movies: Night on the Galactic Railroad, Perfect Blue, Yugioh Dark Side of Dimensions

I'm a very big Yugioh fan so it easily ranks in all categories hehe.

Welcome, welcome! Some strong choices there and I'd not heard of Oyasumi Punpun before but after a quick Google search, I am thoroughly intrigued by this story and will get right on it when I can, so thank you for the inadvertent suggestion heh. I joined recently too and you have a great bunch here so you will no doubt have a very positive experience.

@setokaiba:

Oh, nice. Evangelion and Lain are a couple of big favourites of mine, too, and anything by Satoshi Kon generally. I've never actually seen Night on the Galactic Railroad, though, unfortunately.

I've read only the first volume of Punpun, and it's really quite something. I reckon I'd like to read more. Have you read the whole thing?

Welcome, welcome! Some strong choices there and I'd not heard of Oyasumi Punpun before but after a quick Google search, I am thoroughly intrigued by this story and will get right on it when I can, so thank you for the inadvertent suggestion heh. I joined recently too and you have a great bunch here so you will no doubt have a very positive experience.

@setokaiba:

Oh, nice. Evangelion and Lain are a couple of big favourites of mine, too, and anything by Satoshi Kon generally. I've never actually seen Night on the Galactic Railroad, though, unfortunately.

I've read only the first volume of Punpun, and it's really quite something. I reckon I'd like to read more. Have you read the whole thing?
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I thoroughly do recommend reading all of Punpun, as long as you can stomach dark themes. The manga is very heavy on those and definitely not a happy one, I love happy/feel good manga but I'm also very into raw honest realism which is exactly what you get with this manga. It's not pretty, just honest and raw and real.

Yeah I have read the entirety of Punpun multiple times, and it's one of the most outstanding manga I've ever read in pretty much every way. The artwork, story, inner thoughts of the characters, themes and everything really stand out and are impactful.

Punpun was too depressing and weird for me. Art was very good though.
Might be up for selling my collection if someone wants it.
Sorry taking this thread off-topic, but I'm hooked on Oyasumi Punpun! It is soooo good and I think I've probably inhaled a third of it already. I love the artwork, the dark themes, and self-deprecatory but unique depiction of the protagonist & immediate family. So thanks again @setokaiba. @D1tchd1gger I would definitely be interested in getting hard copies for my limited manga collection (despite my love of non-digital versions for my favourites, I really don't have the space for collecting manga!), if you've got them in English and are looking to sell.

Thanks again to @D1tchd1gger for the immaculately preserved set of Oyasumi Punpun, I am experiencing (enjoying doesn't seem quite the right term somehow heh) the story a second time with the hardcopies now. @setokaiba this has rocketed straight to the top of my favourite manga also, so thanks again for making me aware of it. Not since Evangelion have I experienced such a blisteringly honest insight into an artist's inner turmoil.

Thanks again to @D1tchd1gger for the immaculately preserved set of Oyasumi Punpun, I am experiencing (enjoying doesn't seem quite the right term somehow heh) the story a second time with the hardcopies now. @setokaiba this has rocketed straight to the top of my favourite manga also, so thanks again for making me aware of it. Not since Evangelion have I experienced such a blisteringly honest insight into an artist's inner turmoil.
I'm glad that you are enjoying it so much! It really is a masterpiece, I've read it many times.

Back