heartwrenching anime series youv ever watched and why

GaoGaiGar - GGG sacrificing themselves to save the two kids.

Devilman Lady - Kazumi's death.

Witchblade - Masane sacrificing herself at the very end to save her daughter.

One Piece - Having to burn Going Merry.

Last edited by a moderator:
CloudedMinds said:
Clannad - After Story

Why?

The scene with Nagisa dying whilst giving birth to Ushio then the same fate happened to Ushio years later were extremely heartwrenching. There were loads of moments aswell like when Tomoya finally accepts Ushio and cries manly tears on the train home whilst talking about Nagisa to his daughter, the scene before that was also tearful when Tomoya gave Ushio permission to cry in his arms

I pretty much cryed my eyes out at these scenes, especially Ushio's death.

Air

When Misuzu died, and when Michiru vanished. I also tear up whenever I watched the OP

Kanon(2002)

I cried when Makoto vanished and when Ayu fell out of the tree, since I thought she died. I also cried happy tears when I found out she was alive at the end.

MaxonTreik said:
GaoGaiGar - GGG sacrificing themselves to save the two kids.

Devilman Lady - Kazumi's death.

Witchblade - Masane sacrificing herself at the very end to save her daughter.

I actually forgot Witchblade, that was a sad ending, I do love the story between Masane and her daughter, proves that the show is more then just fanservice.

As for GaoGaiGar I was a little choked up but I didn't cry...I thought it was a good way to end it though.

@ayase, see in Elfen Lied I cared more about that dog then any of the characters...I'm odd that way

BlackWolf said:
@Ayase, see in Elfen Lied I cared more about that dog then any of the characters...I'm odd that way
I don't think it's that odd. The dog did nothing to deserve what happened to it. As most animals are, it was entirely innocent. I feel similarly towards Mayu, as none of the bad things that happened to her were in any way her fault. Probably one of the few characters I feel ever-so-slightly moe for... until my cynicism notices and kicks in like a fridge motor to refreeze my heart.

The ending of Angel Beats and Gunslinger Girl caused me to shed a manly tear. I'm a bit of a sap for that kind of storyline. Also Witchblade, L.L.Tsukihime. The puppy scene in Elfen Lied gave me murderous rage more than tears, I had to watch some Hetalia to calm down afterwards :lol:
And as for Fireflies, oh God. I once heard someone call this 'the greatest film I will never watch again.' I dread the bluray release for this reason :cry:

No anime has ever hit me as hard as Now and Then, Here and There. I haven't been able to bring myself to rewatch it, but I think it's an absolute masterpiece. The main character Shu's unwavering optimism and spirit in the face of adversity got me through the series.

Spoilers up to the final episodeEverything from the children forced into being soldiers, Shu's torture, Sara being subjected to rape and her subsequent struggle with pregnancy, the little girl Soon shooting Nabuca only to kill Boo and then being killed by Nabuca, and Lala-ru's final sacrifice and words to Shu got me close to breaking down

ElixeIdej said:
The ending of Angel Beats and Gunslinger Girl caused me to shed a manly tear. I'm a bit of a sap for that kind of storyline. Also Witchblade, L.L.Tsukihime. The puppy scene in Elfen Lied gave me murderous rage more than tears, I had to watch some Hetalia to calm down afterwards :lol:
And as for Fireflies, oh God. I once heard someone call this 'the greatest film I will never watch again.' I dread the bluray release for this reason :cry:

actually i saw Gunslinger Girl and i thought the 1st season was a masterpiece, the animation and music was beautiful but im going to be blunt and say im was cheering on the terrorists against the organisation that the was in, cause the government in the Gunslinger Girl universe are corrupted and are making peoples lives hard and im hoping the terrorists to win

and thats a point, IM GOING TO MAKE a which anime series cheers you up after watching a heartwrenching anime series or movie

I can think of only two films that have made me cry and continue to do so on a regular basis. They are Schindler's List and Grave of the Fireflies. A very special duo those two.

I agree with most of the ones people have already said. Feeling i really need to go back and watch Rumbling hearts now, might get milady to watch it with me.

Pretty sure I got a bit emotional over parts of Nana. Started watchign Anohana too and that's making me choke up at points, even though I'm only a handful of episodes in.

I'm definitely in the camp that Grave of the Fireflies angered rather than upset though, I'd prefer to never sit through that film again. Well worth watching the once though.

AnoHana is a good call for a recent series, it does a great job of maintaining an emotionally charged atmosphere throughout, whilst still leaving some overhead for a couple of particularly poignant moments.

Angel Beats - the end is pretty good, but for me the episodes about Otonashi's backstory and also episode 10 are better.

MaxonTreik said:
Heh, excellent shout.

Grave of the Fireflies is an obvious choice. Also the ending of Gunbuster where they spend 12000 years getting back to Earth and they think everyone is dead as there are no lights on but then lights come on saying welcome home.

shiki its what happens to the vampires that destroyed me i sympathise with all of them after seeing what those basterd villagers did to them * i feel sorry for megumi and nao*

this is made me angerer and more sympathetic then strain, grave of the fire flys, speed grapher, i swear shiki is a freaking traumatizing sympathetic anime iv ever seen and thats saying alot

*warning*

watch this at the risk of being emotionally scared

I'm going to go for Air, too. Nowhere close to being as good as Kanon '06 overall, but the final story arc is heart wrenching stuff indeed. Just ever so well handled.

Also Urusei Yatsura: The Final Chapter:- The climax... the entire series had always had Ataru and Lum's relationship boiling away, but the finale explains everything that we always knew. And the reveal of what Ataru had been holding the whole time spoke far more words than any mountain of discourse could ever achieve.

And 5 Centimeters Per Second can just get out of here with its autobiographical similarities :x

Back