heartwrenching anime series youv ever watched and why

Animefreak17

Godhand
In no particular order

Grave of the fireflys - omg I was I saddened by this film I was so upset
Nhow the brother was trying his best to look after his lil sister while there fathers fighting in the war and and there mother dies during the bomb rade and it gets worse and worse and the ending was do sad

Strain - in the beginning I thought this was going to be good but all the way though you feel sorry for our main heroin, she lost her parents at a young age and the only one who loved and looked after her was her brother and after a while her brother betrayed there country and killed loads of people and her friends, she gose to find out why he did and she gets bullied by people who are jealous of her for being the best in the class and in half way though the series gets hated by everyone after her identity is exposed she's the sister of the person who betrayed them and killed there family and friends,

This makes me mad, cause she hasn't done anything wrong and is being hated for being the sister of the person who betrayed them

Rumbling hearts- this series would be ok if they put in the options of how we wanted it to end and who the main charecter ended up with but the thing that makes me sad about this series is that there's betrayal friendships broken up and the pain of losing friends which is very sad cause they seemed like good friends in school but after they grow up everything changed

Last edited by a moderator:
Grave of the Fireflies - if you don't cry while watching this film, your heart is made of stone.

Rumbling Hearts - (The OVAs go with a different ending btw, animefreak). Anyways, the English motto of "Betrayal is a bitch" is pretty accurate. Mitsuki is such a bitch.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Goes without saying. I cry whenever I watch the final episode. Also, Sayaka!!!.

Kokoro Connect - Episode 5. EPISODE 5 - ENOUGH SAID.

Air - Misuzu, you stole my heart and taught me the feeling of Moe.
from her whole illness to her eternally never-to-be love with Yukito and to top it off that ending with her Aunt/Mum.

As well as Air I'd really say any of the Key stuff (except Clannad which is nothing more than a cheap imitation of the other series) as both Angel Beats! and Kanon (2006 remake) are excellent in this respect.

One Piece - Tragic backstory after tragic backstory, characters you just love so much, FRIENDSHIP!!!
You could seriously pick out any of the characters' backstories and it is awesome. Some of most heartwrenching moments would have to be during Aarlong Park arc when Nami just stabs at her tattoo with a knife and yells out Aarlong's name in despair only for Luffy to stop her and give her his hat while he tells her he'll take care of it. God damn Luffy is such an awesome hero. Or the Enies Lobby arc when they all come ot rescue Robin and she's being trying to convince them she just wants to die, Luffy gets her to admit otherwise and she just yells out "I want to live!", cue the tears, even just typing this out I'm welling up :cry: . There's even bigger moments than these and smaller ones too that are just as hard hitting.
So pick a moment, any moment in this series. It is simply the best thing ever made in my opinion with one reason being that nothing gets an emotional reaction from me quite like this series does (and it's not just sadness but every emotion).

Steins Gate - From the relationship between Kurisu/Kyouma to having to watch Mayuri die over and over again, my poor heart just couldn't take it, I don't know how Kyouma made it through it all.

Not to ignore films I'll mention The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Grave of the Fireflies, Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress. Really don't think there's much that can touch Millenium Actress in terms of how deeply personal a character's story can be, you literally get to go through her whole life with her and Kon's majestic vision of weaving and unravelling this story is just a sheer joy to be behold.

Joshawott said:
Rumbling Hearts - (The OVAs go with a different ending btw, animefreak). Anyways, the English motto of "Betrayal is a bitch" is pretty accurate. Mitsuki is such a bitch.
Now hold on just a cotton pickin' minute! I can't let that slur against my beloved Mitsuki slide. For not only did she give up the boy she loved for her friend, she gave up a promising swimming career to support the boy during the darkest years of his life. Selfless and devoted are better words to describe Mitsuki, and don't ever let me hear you say otherwise! Her only betrayal, I think, would be what happened towards the end, but she was so emotionally broken at that point I couldn't hold it against her.

Rumbling Hearts is pure soap opera but unlike most of the Key stuff it actually had the intended effect on me. It's like being punched in the gut over and over for six hours.

Millennium Actress, Gunbuster, Grave of the Fireflies, and Now and Then, Here and There are all guaranteed (unless you don't bleed red) tear-jerkers.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Steins;Gate...

fabricatedlunatic said:
Joshawott said:
Now hold on just a cotton pickin' minute! I can't let that slur against my beloved Mitsuki slide. For not only did she give up the boy she loved for her friend, she gave up a promising swimming career to support the boy during the darkest years of his life. Selfless and devoted are better words to describe Mitsuki, and don't ever let me hear you say otherwise! Her only betrayal, I think, would be what happened towards the end, but she was so emotionally broken at that point I couldn't hold it against her.

Rumbling Hearts is pure soap opera but unlike most of the Key stuff it actually had the intended effect on me. It's like being punched in the gut over and over for six hours.

Millennium Actress, Gunbuster, Grave of the Fireflies, and Now and Then, Here and There are all guaranteed (unless you don't bleed red) tear-jerkers.
She got with her best friend's boyfriend while she was in a freaking coma. She was a fantastic supporting friend, but she should have known not to take it any further than that. That caused Takayuki a colossal mindf---- once Haruka woke up due to her memory and finding out about it (as well as the time gap) caused Haruka to relapse and go back into a coma.

She may have been great to Takayuki before Haruka woke up and the **** started, but her actions in relation to Haruka left a lot to be desired.

Takayuki and Haruka were a couple of high school students who'd been going out for, what, all of a few weeks? Mitsuki gave up years of her post-school life for Takayuki. People change, things happen. They couldn't be expected to put their lives on hold forever, which as far as anyone knew could've been the case. Rumbling Hearts is a very human drama.

It's just sad that someone had to get hurt at the end.

I haven't watched Rumbling Hearts for a couple of years, but wasn't Mitsuki partly responsible for the coma in the first place? Dragging Takayuki off to buy her a ring when he was going to meet Haruka, leaving Haruki waiting and getting caught up in the accident?

Anyways, I'm firmly on the side of Mitsuki being a bitch. I'd say Rumbling Hearts is definitely the most heart-wrencihng anime I've seen.

If you want heartwrenching stuff then you need to go back to the '70s, there were a boatload of series: Nobody's Boy Remi (this beats even Grave of the Fireflies), Candy Candy, Lady Georgie, plus other dozens I'm forgetting.

Teo

Millennium Actress is the only anime to have made me wipe away tears.

There are some moments of sadness (absolute spoilers ahead!) in Key the Metal Idol where Sakura suddenly gets killed and also when Key hugs her essence at the end due to the connection both characters have. It was heart-wrenching to watch.

teonzo said:
If you want heartwrenching stuff then you need to go back to the '70s, there were a boatload of series: Nobody's Boy Remi (this beats even Grave of the Fireflies), Candy Candy, Lady Georgie, plus other dozens I'm forgetting.

Teo
You beat me to it,yeah Nobody's Boy Remi will break your heart not once but on so many occasions through the series,also a mention must go to Dog of Flanders,most of The World Masterpiece Theater series pack an emotional punch,even some scenes in Fist of the North Star bring a manly tear to my eye lol.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I'd tend to agree with that list, with the exception of the one everyone is mentioning, Grave of the Fireflies. It didn't actually upset me, it just made me feel very angry at the world's warmongers and the danage they do to the lives of ordinary people who did nothing to deserve it. It's the sort of film that would get me fired up for a CND march rather than leave me sobbing quietly.

Kurau: Phantom Memory is another of mine. Few people seem to have been affected by it in the same way, but I felt several of the characters (and particularly the two leads) genuinely care for each other in a way I've rarely seen represented in any medium - which makes it all the more affecting when these relationships are threatened.

To be fair i've only cried at two anime series....Chrono Crusade and Lunar Legend Tsukihime.

Chrono Crusade for it's bittersweet ending, yes they stopped Aion (Momentarily it seemed given the final bit) but at the cost of their lives. It was nice that they got that little bit longer to say their goodbyes and die peacefully next to each other on that sunny morning...I'm also aware that the manga version is slightly different to this but I'm yet to track it down...Didn't have the money at Nemacon :( and i forgot to take my Chrono Crusade DVDs to get signed by Chrono's VA... :(

Lunar Legend Tsukihime again for the ending, the last goodbye Arcuied gave Shiki before disappearing, and her death scene before that. Which seemed odd as at the beginning she was just aloof, but once she started hanging out with Shiki more she just grew on me. So yeah I wept at her death, was happy when she appeared again at the ending, but then was upset again when she left Shiki, unable to control her bloodlust anymore and not wanting to hurt him. Thing is though my opinion of this anime has gone down since i played through the original Visual Novel and experienced the full story (all paths and what not). I wasn't happy what they did to Shiki's character at all but still...It was the anime that welcomed me to Type Moon and it's works...Without them I wouldn't of watched the amazing Kara no Kyoukai :p

It's strange though that I watched Fate Stay Night and despite it having a similar ending of sort, I wasn't moved at all.

Oh there was another scene in Elfen Lied which upset me, but it wasn't so much a sad scene as one that I really didn't like and couldn't even watch it all the way through...Though I was actually glad that the little buggers who caused it got pulled apart by Lucy. In case anyone didn't know what scene I'm on about its the one where the dog is killed by the kids.

VoxPhantom said:
I haven't watched Rumbling Hearts for a couple of years, but wasn't Mitsuki partly responsible for the coma in the first place? Dragging Takayuki off to buy her a ring when he was going to meet Haruka, leaving Haruki waiting and getting caught up in the accident?

Anyways, I'm firmly on the side of Mitsuki being a bitch. I'd say Rumbling Hearts is definitely the most heart-wrencihng anime I've seen.
Yup, if she hadn't dragged Takayuki off to buy that stupid ring, Haruka wouldn't have been involved in the crash. Although it would be unfair to blame her as she obviously didn't plan for it to happen (or did she? I smell a sequel! xD)

fabricatedlunatic said:
Takayuki and Haruka were a couple of high school students who'd been going out for, what, all of a few weeks? Mitsuki gave up years of her post-school life for Takayuki. People change, things happen. They couldn't be expected to put their lives on hold forever, which as far as anyone knew could've been the case. Rumbling Hearts is a very human drama.

It's just sad that someone had to get hurt at the end.
No one said they had to put their lives on hold, just don't seduce the boyfriend of your comatose best friend. There's not putting your life on hold and there are also lines that shouldn't be crossed (and iirc, she made the first move).

Obviously there's moving on with your life (like my uncle, who remarried years after his first wife died)...but then there's getting with the victim's boyfriend, regardless of how long or short their relationship was.

BlackWolf said:
Oh there was another scene in Elfen Lied which upset me, but it wasn't so much a sad scene as one that I really didn't like and couldn't even watch it all the way through...Though I was actually glad that the little buggers who caused it got pulled apart by Lucy. In case anyone didn't know what scene I'm on about its the one where the dog is killed by the kids.
Oh Arceus...that scene. I'm never fond of animals being harmed in shows...but that was just cruel. Never have I felt glad to see children get torn to bits...and wow, that last sentence made me sound like a horrible person xD.

Damn, I wish I'd watched Rumbling Hearts so I could take part in this morality debate. Though when Josh says "there are lines that shouldn't be crossed" I think most people know where I'll be standing on that particular issue (hint: the railway station staff wouldn't be happy).

Elfen Lied certainly had it's moments. To me more of those (such as the one described above) were shocking than heart-wrenching, but my heart certainly broke for Mayu a couple of times (along with more righteous indignation).

It's not too late, ayase my good man. The UK singles can be had from Amazon for less than £10 in total, and you can join the discussion when the Rumbling Hearts talk is inevitably excised from this thread and given its own by Rui...

I don't know if it's worth using spoiler tags at this point, but I don't feel right about leaving this here all naked and exposed, as it were. So, tags it is.

Joshawott said:
No one said they had to put their lives on hold, just don't seduce the boyfriend of your comatose best friend. There's not putting your life on hold and there are also lines that shouldn't be crossed (and iirc, she made the first move).
Seduce? Ehhh. It's not like Mitsuki said "aha, now that Haruka is out of the way I'm going to lay claim to Takayuki's heart and penis!", amusing as that would've been. The two of them had feelings for each other before Haruka came into the picture, and had grown close in the years since the accident. It'd be nice if human beings were perfect and were able to maintain total control over their emotions at all times, but they aren't, and Mitsuki had reached the point where she was unable to contain her feelings any longer.

It seems wholly unfair that she is vilified while he, who could have refused her advances, was a helpless victim of her feminine wiles. Frankly Mitsuki deserved to be happy because without her sacrifice and love who knows what would've become of Takayuki. In short: Mizuki <3

Regarding Grave of the Fireflies, ayase, as I watched the film my impression of the message being conveyed was that war and the reasoning behind it were less important than the effect it had on ordinary, innocent people. So pretty much the opposite of how it made you feel =P

fabricatedlunatic said:
It's not too late, ayase my good man. The UK singles can be had from Amazon for less than £10 in total, and you can join the discussion when the Rumbling Hearts talk is inevitably excised from this thread and given its own by Rui...
Hmm. Now that is tempting.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Regarding Grave of the Fireflies, ayase, as I watched the film my impression of the message being conveyed was that war and the reasoning behind it were less important than the effect it had on ordinary, innocent people. So pretty much the opposite of how it made you feel =P
I'm not entirely sure that it is... When you say war is less important than the effect it has, surely those effects wouldn't be being felt if the war hadn't happened in the first place? Setsuku and Seita wouldn't have suffered like they did if not for the ambitions of people (some their own countrymen, some American) who cared little for them on the road to realising them. The fact that Seita's patriotism at the beginning of the film goes entirely unrewarded speaks to my belief that if you put your faith in the people at the top (or even just other people in general) then that's where they'll lead you. Bastards.

It depends on what hits home the closest.

I have a dislike and remorse for mitsuki I blame her and I don't. It's one of those things you know I feel sorry for her and I don't. People pick sides, either on her side or not. If she was a bad person who wasnt sorry for anything and then maybe I'd pity her more then hate.

Shuffle has its moments too and black lagoon

Barefoot is a heartbreaker too, well more of a ( OMG dame you America you went to far)

fabricatedlunatic said:

I don't know if it's worth using spoiler tags at this point, but I don't feel right about leaving this here all naked and exposed, as it were. So, tags it is.

Joshawott said:
Seduce? Ehhh. It's not like Mitsuki said "aha, now that Haruka is out of the way I'm going to lay claim to Takayuki's heart and penis!", amusing as that would've been. The two of them had feelings for each other before Haruka came into the picture, and had grown close in the years since the accident. It'd be nice if human beings were perfect and were able to maintain total control over their emotions at all times, but they aren't, and Mitsuki had reached the point where she was unable to contain her feelings any longer.

It seems wholly unfair that she is vilified while he, who could have refused her advances, was a helpless victim of her feminine wiles. Frankly Mitsuki deserved to be happy because without her sacrifice and love who knows what would've become of Takayuki. In short: Mizuki <3

Takayuki was in a very vulnerable state following what happened to Haruka. If I remember correctly, she first confessed her feeling to him by just stripping down naked in front of him. That's erm...kinda. So yeah, he was emotionally fragile and if they wanted to, one could suggest that she did initially take advantage of that.

She essentially became his carer and there's a reason there are rules that for example, stop a doctor forming a relationship with a patient while the patient is still under the doctor's care. While they didn't exactly have that kind of formal relationship, it was similar in execution.

The problem is, with either way the story could have turned out (The Mitsuki route or Haruhi route), it was going to absolutely suck for the other one. I thought it was a bold move to have the main anime series end with the Mitsuki route and it did avoid it risking being cliché, but I personally preferred the ending the OVAs gave.

Clannad - After Story

Why?

The scene with Nagisa dying whilst giving birth to Ushio then the same fate happened to Ushio years later were extremely heartwrenching. There were loads of moments aswell like when Tomoya finally accepts Ushio and cries manly tears on the train home whilst talking about Nagisa to his daughter, the scene before that was also tearful when Tomoya gave Ushio permission to cry in his arms

The one of a few times where a sequel actually surpasses the previous season

Back