Hatsune Miku's creator, Hiroyuki Itoh lecture in Edinburgh

chaos

The Boss
Hatsune Miku's creator, Hiroyuki Itoh will give a talk in Edinburgh about Pop Culture and the Future of the Contents Industry. The event is targeted at professionals and academics in the creative industries.

"<b>The University of Edinburgh and the Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation present a symposium on Cultural Policy and Creative Industries in Japan and Scotland</b>

Date: 11 October 2012
Time: 4pm - 7pm
Location: Playfair Library, Old College, Edinburgh University

In a shifting political and economic environment, both Japan and Scotland are grappling to redefine their position in the world. Culture and creativity play a decisive role in this process. On the one hand, culture and culture transfer serve as a medium to forge international ties and to create "soft power" that would support the national interest. On the other hand, the production of cultural goods forms a sizable portion of the post-industrial economy and is an asset of its own that has become increasingly the focus of government promotion. The historical relations between Japan and Scotland are founded on culture, and both of their economies increasingly rely on the success of their creative industries. This symposium therefore addresses best practices and problems of cultural policy and creative industries in Japan and Scotland with a view to further strengthen cultural and economic ties between the two nations in the face of common global challenges.

From Daiwa foundation

Re: Hastune Miku's creator, Hiroyuki Itoh speaks in Edinburg

Ok, this is not a fan event, but still it's nice to know that Mr. Itoh knows that Miku has fans in the UK....

As usual, I'll try to attend the event and in case there's a Q&A I'd be happy to forward Mr. Itoh your questions, if time allows.

And anyone in Edinburgh who'd be free and care to hang around with us afterwards would be nice as well...

Gotcha, well, the lecture ends at seven, so it should be fine.

Re: Hatsune Miku's creator, Hiroyuki Itoh lecture in Edinbur

I'm recording the lecture and I'll see if it's ok to transcribe it here later. Or else, I'll just post the highlights. The event starts at 4, but ends at 7. I take that Mr Itoh talk won't start right away, to maybe you can still make it there? Try emailing them as they might still have places. otherwise, come join us for a chat after it.

Update - He will be in London as well.

This is the sixth seminar in our 2012 series Leadership: People and Power in the UK and Japan.
Contributors: Hiroyuki Itoh, Dr. Jaideep Prabhu, Rosa Wilkinson (Chair)
Date: 10 October 2012, 6:00pm – 7:45pm
Venue: Daiwa Foundation Japan House, 13 – 14 Cornwall Terrace, London NW1 4QP. Nearest tube: Baker Street
Tel: 020 7486 4348
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.dajf.org.uk
Organiser: The Daiwa Anglo-Japanese Foundation

booking form

Mohawk52 said:
He'll be in London on the 10th.

Yep, I've heard about that too. I've got confirmation to my invite today. I find it annoying that these things arenot better promoted.

st_owly said:
Are you still coming up to Edinburgh chaos?
Tomorrow for a couple days, then Glasgow for K-On director talk and interview and back to Edinburgh again next Friday.
I haven't planed anything for tomorrow evening and Friday, and I'll be leaving to Glasgow on Sat....

He's staying at my place, so he'll definitely be here. First this week and then the week after.....i better clean the doorstep for him to sleep on...er i mean couch.

still, i'm looking forward to the lecture itself, i'll be attending as well so it'll make a nice change to job hunting.

Mohawk52 said:
Got over an hour of him speaking. He was quite shy to speak in public, I reckon giving a lecture in a foreign language is quite frightening. It was quite enlightening though.

Arbalest said:
He's staying at my place, so he'll definitely be here. First this week and then the week after.....i better clean the doorstep for him to sleep on...er i mean couch.
Hey, doorstep is great! =)
I have to go straight to the venue, as I'm schedule to interview him at 14:45 (and my train arrives in Edinburgh at 14:25)
A friend of mine actually interviewed him earlier today and apparently, he was asking him questions about how popular Hatsune Miku is around here. =) Maybe a Miku gig might not be too far fetched....

PM sent. And the Miku talks have been amazingly informative! I'l transcribe the lectures and the interviews and I'll post it soon-ish on the articles section of AUKN.

So is it true he stated there could be a Miku concert for the UK, but wasn't sure how popular she is here?

Hardly anyone seemed to attend the London cinema screening of the Miku concert before, so I hope his hopes aren't too high. I enjoyed it, though :/

R, who wishes the other superior Vocaloids weren't always overlooked <_<

Mohawk52 said:
So is it true he stated there could be a Miku concert for the UK, but wasn't sure how popular she is here?
Yes. At some point he was asking me about how many people Id think that would attend a Miku concert in the UK, to which I've replied "millions" - ok, I know I'll burn in hell for lying, but still... ;)
Seriously though, I've told him Miku was fairly popular here and a Miku gig could possibly attract a large crowd. Not enough to fill up the o2 Arena, but should be enough to make it worth it.

Rui said:
Hardly anyone seemed to attend the London cinema screening of the Miku concert before, so I hope his hopes aren't too high. I enjoyed it, though :/
I think it was down to perceived value - a screening on a cinema is different than if it was a screening on a club, where people could dance.

Rui said:
Popularity and quality hardly ever walk hand in hand.... Not saying that Miku isnt great, but just making a point that popularity and quality are not synonyms.....

Rui said:
I know what you mean, but they aren't so much over looked as under-used by artists. It's just simply Miku gets used for more songs than the others because she was first on the market. I started a forum thread about her UK popularity and whether she ought to have a UK concert on her Facebook site. I didn't go to the cinema concert because I didn't think it worth watching something on a screen that I could just as well watch on Youtube, but I would take time off from work to go to a real "live" concert, no mistake.

Meiko and Kaito were the first ones actually.

I'm curious to the Vocaloid 3 that Yamaha's releasing this month, which they claim to be their best human synthesising software yet, and considering the time it has been in development, I kinda believe they will come up with something good.

Back