Half-Life 2 Episode 1 > You

i never really understood what all the fuss was about half life in the first place. it was good but thats all nothing special.

valha said:
i never really understood what all the fuss was about half life in the first place. it was good but thats all nothing special.
Are we talking Half-Life 1, and if we are talking Half-Life 2, were you born with the same senses as everyone else was?

Forgiven if you're just plainly not a FPS fan. And by "forgiven" I mean "what the hell do you expect" :p

Those who dont like FPS's should be repeatedly injected with testosterone untill they realise they're the nuts. (pun wasn't intended)

I'm hoping these episodes are granted an Xbox conversion. I still haven't seen any news, apart from rumours of Half Life 2 appearing on the 360.

Capuchin said:
I'm hoping these episodes are granted an Xbox conversion. I still haven't seen any news, apart from rumours of Half Life 2 appearing on the 360.
I doubt they'd put them on XBox tbh. I hear that the sales were kind of disappointing, and it's a hell of a lot of work to nerf the game's graphics to get it working. 360 however, seems likely. I reckon they'll bundle all three episodes together for the consoles once they're all out (or "all four" because there is supposedly an outsourced episode away from the main story-arc coming out, probably similar to the Opposing Force / Blue Shift HL expansions). That'll be sometime next year.

Expect to hear more sometime in mid 2007, when the fanboys can cream themselves over Halo 3's near imminent release and utterly ignore the HL2 episodes :p

Need to ask a 1/2life 2 question. Is there a version of the game that does NOT require broadband to play? Enjoyed the 1st one a lot, but got a demo of the 2nd game and it needed 999hrs on my dial up to download something or other. No i want to play the game, but since i can't get broad band where i live it means i can't play the game as far as i'm aware.

hopeful_monster said:
Need to ask a 1/2life 2 question. Is there a version of the game that does NOT require broadband to play? Enjoyed the 1st one a lot, but got a demo of the 2nd game and it needed 999hrs on my dial up to download something or other.
You have to go through Steam for all Valve's games these days. Keeps piracy down a bit and allows them to flog their games directly without publisher intervention. Chances are, when you got the demo you simply had the small steam program and had to download the entire demo on top of that (probably about 500megs, though don't hold me to that). You NEED an internet connection, but with the retail versions you get the games packed up in a little file and almost ready to go: you do have to wait for Steam to "decrypt" the files on the disk (not connection dependent) and you do have to download any updates to the game that were released (these tend not to be too big, but as they're 10 mins on BB I imagine they'd put the dialup download into about 2 hours worth of downloading or more). You could theoretically bypass that if you have a friend backup the latest version of the game and give it you on DVD, but you HAVE to then buy the game yourself through Steam or Retail, because Steam prevents people from lending the game out to anyone.
hopeful_monster said:
No i want to play the game, but since i can't get broad band where i live it means i can't play the game as far as i'm aware.
Took me ages to get it, but that was 2 years ago. Frankly, BT not having got BB out to everyone by now is ridiculous.

hopeful_monster said:
Need to ask a 1/2life 2 question. Is there a version of the game that does NOT require broadband to play? Enjoyed the 1st one a lot, but got a demo of the 2nd game and it needed 999hrs on my dial up to download something or other. No i want to play the game, but since i can't get broad band where i live it means i can't play the game as far as i'm aware.

The way to do it is get it on the xbox. :D

Well it's relative. They suck compared to the game running on a high spec PC, but they look great compared to the blank screen of my PC that can't dream of coping with it...

Capuchin said:
Well it's relative. They suck compared to the game running on a high spec PC, but they look great compared to the blank screen of my PC that can't dream of coping with it...
Nope. My PC is three years old this September, and HL2 runs like Cider on tap (mmm.... Cider...). My PC is not even Mid Spec anymore, yet I get a steady 60fps on 1280x1024 and HDR enabled. With the X-Box version you get what you pay for: Something that looks like bottom and chugs like bottom :p

It's one of those rare games that doesn't need killer hardware to look magnificent. HL2 Episode 1 runs like it came out 3 years ago, but looks as good as any other game out there. Crazy stuff.

kupoartist said:
With the X-Box version you get what you pay for: Something that looks like bottom and chugs like bottom :p

That's true but some of us don't want to play with a 'rubbish' keyboard and mouse. I know I find controls on the PC fiddely but I have my PS2>PC coverter which solves most of the problems. Also you forget that a newish PC =??300+, a Xbox version of HL2 in a few months time.. ??10. Saving? Priceless!
Before I got my new PC I would have bought the Xbox version without any hesitation.

kupoartist said:
It's one of those rare games that doesn't need killer hardware to look magnificent.

The praise never ends. :wink:

kupoartist said:
HL2 Episode 1 runs like it came out 3 years ago, but looks as good as any other game out there. Crazy stuff.

I wish my PC ran on cider to see these effects!
________
Buy roor bongs

neptune2venus said:
I know I find controls on the PC fiddely but I have my PS2>PC coverter which solves most of the problems.
Just as investing money in a good PC nets a better looking game in the end, investing time in the mouse/keyboard nets you better control in the end. I don't like the idea of a controller type that aims for you by default!

kupoartist said:
neptune2venus said:
I know I find controls on the PC fiddely but I have my PS2>PC coverter which solves most of the problems.
Just as investing money in a good PC nets a better looking game in the end, investing time in the mouse/keyboard nets you better control in the end. I don't like the idea of a controller type that aims for you by default!

I agree for FPS games i like the keyboard abnd mouse, its alot faster and better once you have mastered the controls. and being even a second faster in a FPS is a big differents (i play alot of FPS online).

I bought Half Life 2: Episode 1 the other day and I can't say I've been disappointed. I'm dreading that it's going to end very soon, though- I'm on the third chapter. And it'll be x amount of months until the next one. At least we only need to wait until the end of 2007 for the story to complete... and then Half-Life 3 to take over.

In the meantime I've been downloading all the HL2 single-player mods to pass the time, heh ^_^;

Solo Tremaine said:
I'm dreading that it's going to end very soon, though- I'm on the third chapter.
There are 5 chapters and the trailer, so you're about half-way through. The ending is pretty awesome. Play it a second time through with the developer's commentary. It's worth it :)

kupoartist said:
Solo Tremaine said:
I'm dreading that it's going to end very soon, though- I'm on the third chapter.
There are 5 chapters and the trailer, so you're about half-way through. The ending is pretty awesome. Play it a second time through with the developer's commentary. It's worth it :)

I've always thought the developer's commentary was a really awesome touch. Shame the original game didn't have one.

Back