Gundam, where the hell do I begin?

Nemphtis

Hunter
I've seen Gundam Wing and Mobile Suit Gundam, I'm looking to watch everything Gundam related at this point but not really sure which order I'm supposed to watch it all in. Are there any Gundam fanatics who can advise me on the best order to watch'em in?

Oh wow, I totally expected this to be an old thread that had just been bumped. :lol:

Standard answer is either the 0079 movies, 00, or Gundam Unicorn.

Since you've already seen First (the whole series? or just the movies? Doesn't really matter), you can move on to Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counter Attack, 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team ie. the rest of the UC stuff.

Other best AU series are Turn A and 00, imo. You can watch them whenever you like.

Gundam OO is a real safe bet.

Two seasons, plus a movie, and it's all done. Completely self contained.

For my money, it's the best Gundam Storyline so far. And it looks freakin' GORGEOUS!

It may be old, but I'd say most of the others have struggled to match MS Gundam in relevance to its time. Don't expect your experience from here on to be in any sense revelatory - they all just repeat the exact same themes till you're sick of it. One or two will shine for you, though. From this point, I recomment you watch Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack, which constitute the natural 'sequels' to MS Gundam and provide a thorough grounding for the new Gundam Unicorn.

Apart from that, there is no particular order. I'd recommend swimming around in Universal Century till you get bored and feel you have a thorough grounding for before leaping to the newer, shinier stuff, which, regardless of the shine, is mostly mediocre.

For the most part Gundam stuff is separate. If you go on Myanimelist and type in Gundam it has a list of all the shows and how they relate to each other, so that's probably the best way of figuring out. I started with 00 though.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
For the most part Gundam stuff is separate. If you go on Myanimelist and type in Gundam it has a list of all the shows and how they relate to each other, so that's probably the best way of figuring out. I started with 00 though.
i know each series is separate but it would be best to start from old to the latest in the series.

Below is the order you should watch them so it all makes sense,

Universal Century:
Mobile Suit Gundam (Also available as movies 1,2 and 3)
The 08th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
Mobile Suit Gundam F91
Victory Gundam
G-Saviour

Non-connected series (Note, none are connected so can be watched independently):
G Gundam
Gundam Wing
Gundam X
Gundam Seed
Turn A Gundam
After War Gundam X
Turn A Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

0079 movies, 00,..... 0080, 0083, 08th MS Team

Hmm, why don't they just simply call the show Gundam rather than feel the need to add completely random and meaningless numbers to the end.
"Hey I just thought of a great title for the new Gundam guys: Gundam ..wait for it... 000256, oooh yeah their love this!

Don't expect your experience from here on to be in any sense revelatory - they all just repeat the exact same themes till you're sick of it

Ah no wonder they decided to make a Dynasty Warriors gundam game:both franchises are equally as stagnant as one another, and therefore by joining together will make a super stagnant experience which will please the many fans of stagnant dreary entertainment all over the world (yes! Two birds hit with one stone).

I think if I had to recommend a Gundam it would be Wing, simply for the humorous homo erotic undertones and the fact it had a character called Zecks.......Zecks!

On serious note though Gundam never clicked with me (although I've only seen bits of the newer series) simply because it seems so confused as to what it wants to be. It seems to try to take itself ridiculously seriously, bombarding the viewer with almost impenetrable future political gibberish and broody (boring) characters, yet none of this time spent wasted on political gibberish and melodrama ever seems manifests itself in any sort of particularly poignant message. It's just over complicated gibberish for the sake of over complicated gibberish.
Yet at the same time it almost seems like it should be a kids show as well, I'm not talking about the giant robots, I'm talking about the often horrendous dialouge, clichés in abundance and terrible cast's of pre pubescent (or in the case if Wing, possibly 30 year olds who smoked too much as kids) protagonists

Its a bit like if Newsround were to get Lizo to talk about the euro zone crisis in baffling detail for genius children. But probably even worse as Gundam only pretends.

Who knows maybe one day I'll see the light and get Gundam... Sorry I've just realized I went on a rant.

vashdaman said:

Hmm, why don't they just simply call the show Gundam rather than feel the need to add completely random and meaningless numbers to the end.
"Hey I just thought of a great title for the new Gundam guys: Gundam ..wait for it... 000256, oooh yeah their love this!

The years indicate the year the show takes place in. 08th mobile suit team is named after the military unit the series follows. It does have a meaning behind it but see why it comes across as silly.

Don't expect your experience from here on to be in any sense revelatory - they all just repeat the exact same themes till you're sick of it

This is 100% true for the spin off series however the Universal Century arc of series have a very interesting and detailed plot line running through hundreds of episodes. Well worth watching through even if you ignore the spin off rubbish.

animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
i know each series is separate but it would be best to start from old to the latest in the series.

For UC stuff maybe, but there is no reason why you couldn't watch 00 before Wing or whatevs.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:

For UC stuff maybe, but there is no reason why you couldn't watch 00 before Wing or whatevs.
its me i like to keep things in order lol from oldest to newest lol

vashdaman said:

As someone has already pointed out, you were too quick on the draw, Vash. They are also not the full titles, generally, just a quick and easy way to refer to the series.

animefreak17 said:
id say start with the first series of gundam then work your self up to the latest in the series
So simple it might just be genius. You have to stop assuming that replies after yours are in reply to you, though, unless someone quotes you.

Shuuya said:
ilmaestro said:
What a strange piece of advice. Watch Macross as well, obviously.
Nope. I stand by instead. 8)
In that case I stick by "strange". :p

butch-cassidy said:
Below is the order you should watch them so it all makes sense
I disagree that you have to re-order UC series and watch them in-world chronologically to make sense of the franchise overall. I don't think anyone got too confused watching them in the order they were made, although it would be an interesting experiment.

Especially with things like IGLOO, though, they can be appreciated more thanks to building up a knowledge of the universe beforehand.

Also, the only "recommended" order for G-Saviour should be "never". :lol:

Also collecting two Gundam manga series'; MS Gundam: Lost War Chronicles and MS Gundam: Ecole du Ciel or some French **** along those lines.

I'm actually quite a big mecha enthusiast and I have some Gunpla. One of the main motivations for wanting to see more of the Gundam anime is that lately all the new Gunpla kits are from series' I'm unfamiliar with so yeah.

Back