GTA IV

The whole "real" gamers argument annoys me. Why aren't you a gamer if you enjoy a Mario game, or a Golfing game. You shouldn't really even complain about the game line-up. Its much better than the GameCube and according by the ideals of it not having grey and black FPS the GameCube is also NOT a "real" console for "real" gamers.

I can't call myself a gamer, I like, don't play games often but I hardly see a distinguished persona of each person as to whether they are a real gamer or not.

It really is Nintendo's fault however - they are the ones who have constantly appealed to the young audience - all of their better-known mascots are "kiddish" Mario and Yoshi dont strike as powerful a pose as Lara Croft or Master Chief. Even now with the wii they have only switched their focus from "young gamer" to "new gamer" which is essentially the same thing (come on watching my mum try to play a video-game is like watching a toddler grapple with a particularly perplexing "square block goes in the square hole" puzzle.

Moreover the wii is renowned as the gimmick console now, most people who i know have one....But they have it and one game and one game only - thats it. They just bought it for wii fit or something else that caught their eye in that impulse mist they found themselves in and now its gathering dust in the corner. Occassionally seeing the light of day when a drunken friend spies it in the corner.

I can see your point Jayme - some nintendo games are genuinely fun (super smash bros, metroid etc etc!) but by most people's standards a adult game is something with boobs and blood not colour and kawaii.

Ive always had a fundamental hated for the hypocrisy of Nintendo as well. They're touted as the most innovative company and yet i've never seen ANYTHING milked as much as Mario. The only thing that comes close to my mind is The Land Before Time series. Seriously the wiki page of mario releases has grown to a short novel in terms of length.

Anyways im not ranting on Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are guilty of just as many sins, just explaining my view of the console groups thats all!

Incidentally i love the irish jobs you get in GTA - near enough every single one is a classic. LOVED the kidnapping mission, nico is a legend!

I wasn't really specifically aiming it at Nintendo, Its just.. I seriously dislike games like Call of Duty, Halo and GoW. I don't find them entertaining, at all. Whilst I find Super Mario Galaxy or Sonic and the Secret Rings more so. If I had a 360, I'd get games like Viva Piñata and Blue Dragon over the "must-have" killers.

I don't like that much how Nintendo marketed to the Wii, but admittedly, They are running a business - The idea that games can be sold to everyone sold fantastically for the DS and I don't see why they wouldn't want to do that again when they are trying to make money.

The problem I see is exactly what you mentioned with

Liquid Skin said:
most people's standards a adult game is something with boobs and blood not colour and kawaii.
People assume something is good or bad depending on how realistic is it/How many aliens can some mercenaries shoot in five minutes.

Alas, This is off-topic. I'll be playing GTA some more tomorrow, after having a break in which I didn't plan.

Jayme said:
The whole "real" gamers argument annoys me. Why aren't you a gamer if you enjoy a Mario game, or a Golfing game. You shouldn't really even complain about the game line-up. Its much better than the GameCube and according by the ideals of it not having grey and black FPS the GameCube is also NOT a "real" console for "real" gamers.

I can't call myself a gamer, I like, don't play games often but I hardly see a distinguished persona of each person as to whether they are a real gamer or not.

I wouldnt put either of the games you mentioned there in the "Not For Real Gamers". Its just Nintendo appear to have lots of Casual Games. To me, when someone says 'Real Gamer' it means someone who spends a long time on games at a time. Like people who spend hours at a time on Zelda, Silent Hill etc. Nintendo though, appear to just cater for gamers who would rather spend a few hours a day on the console, and they are just mediocre games anyway, that appear to involve the same thing. Point at this, shake when this turns red, blah blah blah.

tbf, i'd give credit to Nintendo over Microsoft/Sony anyday

they're doing what no one else will do, destroying the stereotype that games are unhealthy

who'd of thought 2 years ago we'd see a video game for fitness, never mind it being a hit :D

Ryo Chan said:
tbf, i'd give credit to Nintendo over Microsoft/Sony anyday

they're doing what no one else will do, destroying the stereotype that games are unhealthy

who'd of thought 2 years ago we'd see a video game for fitness, never mind it being a hit :D

What are you talking about? You'll be it as a fiddle after playing Tekken with your mate - especially after the 20th time he's beaten you - you'll be chasing him around the room craving blood.

Plus what about dance dance revolution? And my favourite - ridiculously over the top Time Crisis (yes i actually rolled around during that game.)

Besides, im not arguing that Nintendo havent done some good, im saying that generally a specific type of person buys a specific next-gen console to suit their tastes because each offer different things: the wii is like you said a casual gamer's machine, its cheap and fun to pick up and play but aside from a few choice games - ultimately novelty, the 360 is a cheap next-gen and the ps3 a cheap blu-ray player.

Annnnnnnnyways has anyone actually managed to get online with GTA yet? The online aspect actually freezes the offline aspect on the PS3. *sigh* oh rockstar, why have you forsaken sony?

Besides, im not arguing that Nintendo havent done some good, im saying that generally a specific type of person buys a specific next-gen console to suit their tastes because each offer different things: the wii is like you said a casual gamer's machine, its cheap and fun to pick up and play but aside from a few choice games - ultimately novelty, the 360 is a cheap next-gen and the ps3 a cheap blu-ray player.

so true :D

i've alwats said i'll only buy a ps3 when it goes down in price and mainly for the blu-ray player

Liquid Skin said:
Annnnnnnnyways has anyone actually managed to get online with GTA yet? The online aspect actually freezes the offline aspect on the PS3. *sigh* oh rockstar, why have you forsaken sony?

If it makes you feel any better my 360 game has been crashing a little bit (during the loading screens i've noticed) Besides i hear Rockstar are planning to releaes a patch for the PS3 versions

Oh and Ryo Chan, that's when i'll be getting a PS3 as well :p should only take another price cut as well

Back