"Growing out" of gaming?

ZAFF said:
I took the bold step into the layer of the programmer lol so gaming is and will be my life for well the rest of my working life lol.

Working as a coder somewhere, or at Uni studying it?

Also, are you in game programming specifically or just general programming?

I was looking through a games magazine last week and I found very few games that appealed to me. All the ones featured in the magazine were either full or shiny cars, scantily clad women, pimps, rapper type people with guns and the words "BLING" tatooed all over the page.

Seriously - The reason I play games is to get AWAY from these types of things.

I'm enjoying shooting stuff as much as I did last year. And the 7 years before that too. I'm even playing Quake IV without bitching about its shallowness or the fact that "i've seen it all before". And that's quite an achievement.

Other genres have come and gone mind you. I'm dead sick of Japanese Role Playing "Games". Sure the stories were fun, but I get equally exciting menu option selecting action by browsing the Windows XP start menu. Can always depend on shooting stuff though...

... Even in computer games :twisted:

kupoartist said:
Can always depend on shooting stuff though...
That's because your so trigger-happy! :wink:

Yes I agree with your point about Japanese Role-Playing games, they need more innovation for example:

- Main lead character is *gasp* female and not the usual 15-17 year old boy who comes with childhood 'best friend' who is the main love interest.

- A better overall storyline. Many of the PS2 RPGs I have played are mainly 7/10 not the 9/10 or 10/10 I hope for - due to failure of being an epic storyline.

- More futuristic locations. I was sooo disappointed when Star Ocean 3 resorted for them all to be stuck on a backward planet. I wanted laser weapons and 1337! Still, it's one of the better RPGs on the PS2.

- RPGs released in the UK. It's getting better but I still need import for some titles like Suikoden III and Xenosaga I. Grandia III is apparently not having a release in Europe, so I'll be importing that too!

Sometimes, I feel the Xbox RPGs have better storylines and character development-wise like the excellent Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic and Jade Empire (except the simple battle sytem). If there was a mix of both with J-RPG elements and Western RPG storytelling - then it will be great! Or so I think so anyway.

Still, I must have nearly every English released RPG for the PS2 just about lol. I'm just a sucker for them! :D
________
NO2 VAPORIZER

I still enjoy video games (I'm in my twenties) and I'm a strong believer it isn't the pursuit of adolescents solely. That would take me into the realms of the problem with British society and they're love affair with everything being simplified for them but I'll spare you my social commentary, but needless to say there is a lot of unhealthy mind sets out there.

But getting back to the point, I don't play video games as much as I use to for one simple reason - time. I prefer baking, collecting stamps and getting angry at thin air.

I had a fight with thin air once. It beat me.

I love video games, but I do agree that my enthusiasm for them is dwindleing quite abit. Whereas I'd spend most of my freetime reading games magazines, or playing them, now I can barely get through one magazine before the next issue is released.

I can still remember a time when I'd actually get up EARLY on a school day, to pack in that extra bit of leveling up, or the tingling I felt when I openned up Wind Waker. But, even though that was only about two years ago, it seems everything went downhill from there.

I guess I must have discovered the internet, and anime.

Hrrrrmmmm.

well lately i've only been playing a few games like harvestmoon,final fantasy etc

It just seems that the majority of games being released nowadays are either:

A,a cheap merchandise game from a movie or TV series

B,a sequel of a sequel of a crap game

C,a compilation of games we got bored of about 10 years ago

seriously theres only 5 or 6 games i'm waiting for in the next 6 month's compared to a couple years back when it would take 2 sheets of a4 paper to list the games i want.

I'm not sure that your growing out of gaming dude I think its just a phase, I go through these all the time, some months there's just nothing worth getting or playing and then all of a sudden your swamped with new stuff. I haven't bought anything since Hitman Blood Money and probably won't buy anything now until winter when Neverwinter Nights 2 and Final Fantasy XII and Need for SPeed Carbon are released.

SO until they are released my money is safe.... well when I safe I mean it pays for anime and manga :D

I don't see video gaming as being related to maturity any more than reading fiction or watching TV.

I think pretty much everyone who plays games gets sick of them at some point, for awhile (months even), doesn't surprise me - change is as good as a rest. The labels flying around the whole thing really don't help, I mean whether someone just wants to play Streets of Rage 2 every weekend or have a game of scrabble on the spectrum occasionally (my barber does), they're still using games for what they're designed for.

There are some facets of the game industry which I do believe you can grow out of and become extremely tired of:

1. The cost of it all.
2. The summer slump.
3. Re-repeats.
4. 'Trends'.
5. Obsession with graphics and 'storytelling'.
6. Mass time consumption/Tired!

1. Cost - not only do we seem to pay through the nose for our software compared to the US, but there's less variety anyway It's like buying tapwater by the bottle. Videogame magazines seem to be pushing for £5 cover prices (or close enough) - why? I think half of it is simple 'getting away with it'. You can't wait to buy a game, oh no, there's only x thousand made and it'll be sold out before it ever gets to bargain-bin prices - BUY NOW BUY NOW. Nah, who really wants to spend this much just to play games? You hear of people taking jobs just to fund their gaming habits - slave to the industry. After realising this, I wouldn't blame anyone for flipping the bird at the game industry.

2. Slump - we're still operating under that old chestnut "nobody plays games during summer". Uh, excuse me, I don't want to go outside and play football with my little friends all afternoon, kinda grew out of that a decade back. MMOGs don't seem to choke and keel over during the summer months, so why on earth do we get nothing but 'Tom and Jerry' games etc. during summer? The industry is adamant that it will continue this way, then release everything at the end of the year in an attempt to bleed you dry.

3. Re-repeats - for whatever their so-called reasons, the software industry wants to vomit up more of the same - admittedly most titles are profit-losers but that's entirely self inflicted by the whole system. Even titles that emerge as original quickly get the knackers flogged off them - stand up Dynasty Warriors.. now sit down again, on your hands, keep away from my wallet.

4. Trends - as already mentioned, we've been knee-deep in 'gangsta' crap since GTA3, it REALLY gets boring, give me some werewolves and pirates and transvestite insurance salesman or even Captain Planet. After hearing "gonna pop a cap in yo a$$ m0F0" so many times you begin to wonder what the obsession is with your buttocks. Again, it's self inflicted, softcos. seem to have trouble with the old 'free thought'.

5. Graphics/Story - Since the advent of 3D and large-capacity mediums for software, we've lost 2D gaming in a flash, BOOM. The new 3D genres of games haven't been 'added' to the mix, they've completely replaced the 2D games which played differently. It's like horror movies suddenly all becoming westerns. Controlling 2D mario was about precision, controlling 3D mario is about kinda hitting your target whilst stopping the guy sliding down a cliff - it's like controlling an entity composed of 20 furbies moving at the speed of a cannonball.

By the same token, vast amounts of games now have overly long 'plots' (term used loosely), 'character development' (mould develops too, so what?) and overly complex actions/controls. You can't just pick up and play most games because some OIK dictates that we have to trudge through tutorials first as well as listen to a bad voice over for a few minutes. The RPG crafters, oh goodness, they think they're film-makers and authors now! Subtle hint: stick to videogames, you're not cut out for it. Playing a modern RPG is like watching a bad book with squeaky voices and a graphics budget big enough to sink ships. We lose, again.

6. Time - modern life is not exactly brimming with free time, nor is it improving in that respect. One issue I've had with VGs is that they require effort and energy - sometimes you just don't have any energy left.

Hrm, another long rant XD

I'd say just step away from them for awhile without worry. If you get the urge to play some games again, great, but make the dozy softcos. earn your cash the same as every other business has to. Apart from the Wii, the new set of consoles seem to want to do everything up to and including doubling up as a kitchen sink, so I don't blame you for not wanting to shell out on them.

This is a typical comment but I truly don’t think I’ll ever grow out of gaming. I’m studying to become a gaming journalist; I run a multi-game clan and website, I spent crazy amounts of money on videogames every week; I normally play for at least four hours when I switch one of my consoles on. Generally speaking, I’m too addicted for my own good.

I had a period, between the demise of the dreamcast (early 2002) and last year (about april 2005) when i played very little games. This is especially worrying as i have been a gameaholic all my life. I'm not sure what it was. Certainly i bought new games - i got a game cube in that period and quite a lot of games, but save Zelda: The wind waker, and my yearly play of Ocarina of time, i played very little games.

I do fear the fact that this present (just ending) generation of games has been infinately less interesting than the 32/64bit era. Everything that came out then was new and amazing, where as this generation has been extremely repetitive and simply graphically updating stuff. However upon getting the DS, digging up some more Gamecube stuff, and delving into PC gaming somewhat more, i have gone deep into games again, and i feel much better for doing so. I'm also looking forward to something new for the first time in ages - that being the Wii, which seems to be based on that attatude i have that graphics no longer matter until we get photo realistic, and it is changes in gameplay that are more important.

Hence, at 22, i'm as interested now in the future of gaming as i have ever been, but at 19/20 i wouldn't have said the same.

Back