Going to Japan

Cheeky

School Idol
Bah, I'm way too excited - just booked onto a guided tour to Japan, aimed at anime and manga enthusiasts. Goes next March/April and includes visits to the Studio Ghibli museum, Studio Easter animation studio, Akihabara, Nakano Broadway, Shinjuku, Harajuku, the Meiji Shrine, Mt Fuji/Hakone and the Tokyo Tower...

Anyone here going on this tour?

http://www.japanjourneys.co.uk/manga.htm

Oooh sounds good, ill be going on one of those not next year, but the year after (i hope). All depends on whether i can get enough money and find someone to go with. Going on holidays by myself just doesnt seem to fun, also i wanna go in a hotspring haha.

I want to go whilst I'm still young and the oil runs out, hence why I'm going so soon lol. I am going on my own since I don't know anyone who'd be willing to go with me, but that's not too much of a problem - hopefully I'll be with like-minded individuals!

I intend on bring back a few souviners... I'll dedicate one to AUKN :) and I also intend to unleash my lingual prowess upon the Japanese people. If they understand me. "Watashi wa baka desu!" will be my response if they don't :p

Cheeky said:
I want to go whilst I'm still young and the oil runs out, hence why I'm going so soon lol. I am going on my own since I don't know anyone who'd be willing to go with me, but that's not too much of a problem - hopefully I'll be with like-minded individuals!

I intend on bring back a few souviners... I'll dedicate one to AUKN :) and I also intend to unleash my lingual prowess upon the Japanese people. If they understand me. "Watashi wa baka desu!" will be my response if they don't :p

Who says you can't have fun by yourself?!! What does that mean in English? I would like to learn japanese when I have the time as I plan on going there hopefully before I'm 20!

You are one lucky guy Cheeky! That looks so awesome!

I'm plannjing on doing International Business and Japanese at university in Dublin, and I get to go to Japan and live there for the third year of my course - so, I'll get to see Japan, but it won't be for another 4 years :[

Make sure you take lots of pictures! ^_^

I’ve just got back after a twelve day trip to Japan and it was without any shadow of a doubt the best twelve days of my life.

It’s almost impossible for me to put into spoken words, let alone written ones, just how incredible a place it is.

If you have any interest at all in going there you really should go for it. It’s not a cheap thing to do but it’s certainly not prohibitively expensive. I found the dearest thing was beer and sake, whereas food was generally inexpensive. If you’re really struggling you can always eat at McDonalds where there is a 100 yen menu -a burger for 43p!!

One thing relevant to this site that I noticed and that surprised me was how little anime I saw on TV. In fact I saw an episode of One Piece and that was it. But hotel TV is often a poor selection and I of course spent as little time as possible in my hotels.

The Ghibli museum was great too but there were strictly no pictures allowed which was a shame but understandable.

If anyone is interested I can tell a bit more about my experience of the place and post a few pictures. But I’m still recovering from the home journey at the moment. It really does take it out of you.

That'd be great to hear, when you've recovered I think an extra thread is in order :)

As for "Watashi wa baka desu", I think it probably equates to something like "I am idiot"... not great Japanese probably, but understandable to some extent.

As for actually learning Japanese, I've picked up what I know mainly from fansubs, Wikipedia and basic Japanese tutorials online - it's just about picking up bits and pieces and then learning how to fit them together. What I know is extremely limited but should be enough for the tour I'm going on.

harkins said:
One thing relevant to this site that I noticed and that surprised me was how little anime I saw on TV. In fact I saw an episode of One Piece and that was it.
Maybe next time you should check the TV schedule. ;]

Cheeky said:
That'd be great to hear, when you've recovered I think an extra thread is in order :)
OK I’ll pick out a few pictures and put a few words together a bit later.

Just a quickie for now though, as you’ve mentioned the language issue, there really isn’t one at all. All I’d say is make sure you have your hello’s, goodbye’s, please’s, and thankyou’s sorted - purely out of courtesy. Anything else is merely a bonus.
Lupus Inu said:
harkins said:
One thing relevant to this site that I noticed and that surprised me was how little anime I saw on TV. In fact I saw an episode of One Piece and that was it.
Maybe next time you should check the TV schedule. ;]
Oh yeah, altough I did actually scour the TV schedules but only to find out when the Japanese womens volleyball team were playing on TV :D

Back