Give Me Some Classics

MaxonTreik

Chuunibyou
I've been watching Hokuto no Ken for a while and I just started watching Touch, so I've accumulated a desire to watch more classics. Basically, I want to watch stuff from the 70s right up to the mid-90s. Genre doesn't matter much, as long as it's good. I have a list of older stuff I want to watch already so if anyone has anything that they can suggest to add that would be appreciated.

Plan to watch:
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross
Urusei Yatsura
Maison Ikkoku
Dominion Tank Police
Patlabor
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Cutie Honey

Cyber City Oedo 808
The Wings of Honneamise
Oh My Goddess OVA
Berserk
Sherlock Hound
The Mysterious Cities Of Gold
Tenchi Muyo OVA
The Slayers
Vampire Princess Miyu
Initial D
Yu Yu Hakusho
Serial Experiments Lain
World of Narue, The
Gunsmith Cats: Bulletproof
Kekko Kamen
Orguss 02
Pet Shop Of Horrors
Riding Bean
Barefoot Gen
Barefoot Gen 2
Ghost Sweeper Mikami
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ranma
Roujin Z
Dirty Pair
Sailor Moon
Ninja Scroll
Bubblegum Crisis Collection

Irresponsible Captain Tylor (1993)
A show about a charismatic slacker who somehow finds himself captain (duh) of a rickety old spaceship the military would very much like to disappear.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation (1994)
A female bounty hunter pursues a deadly alien creature through a beautifully designed world, uncovering government conspiracies along the way.

Giant Robo (1992-1998)
TV Tropes describes it as "an (unholy) amalgamation of Wuxia, Superheroes, Richard Wagner, Mecha Anime and pure insanity." Couldn't have put it better myself. Amazing visuals and music and so epic you will likely wet yourself at least once per episode.

That's a very solid list you've got there already, although I would suggest:

Armored Trooper Votoms (1983) - completes the real robot 'holy trinity' along with Gundam and Macross

Galaxy Express 999 (1979) - Matsumoto's space morality play can be heavy-handed at times, but its tragedy-tinged fairytale atmosphere is truly unique.

Space Adventure Cobra (1982, tv series) - It suffers from a clumsy start and some lousy fansubs, but the cigar chomping pulp-epic is a classy production which still entertains.

You might also want to give Rose of Versailles (1979) a shot. I didn't care for it myself, but it's usually very highly acclaimed and the shoujo historical tradgedy isn't exactly a crowded genre.

Cowboy Bebop (can't believe no one has mentioned it yet)
Ghost in the Shell
Gundam Wing
Moldiver
Blue Sub No.6
Excel Saga
Kimagure Orange Road
Wicked City
His and Her Circumstances
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World

Perfect Blue and Trigun, they're more late 90's (97 I think) but still visually and thematically quite 90's in style.

Akira for an obvious one if you haven't seen it already

fabricatedlunatic said:
Iria: Zeiram the Animation (1994)
A female bounty hunter pursues a deadly alien creature through a beautifully designed world, uncovering government conspiracies along the way.
It appears that the first half of the 1990s was more fecund than I thought. Would you be so gentlemanly as to impart any more information about the content or stylisation of this title? With which other series could it most closely be compared?

I still have the first VHS volume somewhere, but my memories of it are kind of hazy and I can't really think of what you could most liken it to at the moment. In any case, the art is really nice and the music is great.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jx00D8dFj0k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jx00D8dFj0k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

I'll have to go back and watch the rest of this one myself.

I would have to echo some of what the other guys are saying about Akira, Gunsmith Cats and NGE, I would be inclined to add Rurouni Kenshin and possibly the original Dragonball to that list as well

So....that pretty much everything already mentioned I think :p Particular shoutout for my favorite anime Yu Yu Hakusho.

Anyways, I have been dealing with the Fist of the North Star/Hakuto no Ken 'situation' myself lately. Ofc, being the dub-fanatic I am, I watched up to ep 36 of the original, the movie and Legends of the Dark King a few months ago in preparation for the new game. Have now started playing the game and have overtaken where I was, just to find that the story does get quite good so shall be going back and finishing it with the EAR-PIERCING sub-only episodes. Game is on hold till I at least catch up to where I am in it.

Preeeety sure at least 1 of three things will happen when watching it in jap (as with many of these older shows) either I will die from ear bleeding, loose conciousness or my TV speakers wil explode...

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Golden Boy
Sol Bianca
Plastic Little
Marmalade Boy
Doomed Megalopolis
Mermaid's Forest/Mermaid's Scar

Thanks very much guys. The responses have been more than I anticipated, and that's great!

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Maxon&status=6&order=0

I've added most suggestions. A lot of stuff I've already seen (who hasn't seen Evangelion and Akira?) but the thoughts are appreciated.

Keep the suggestions coming. :thumb:

Professor Irony said:
I still have the first VHS volume somewhere, but my memories of it are kind of hazy and I can't really think of what you could most liken it to at the moment. In any case, the art is really nice and the music is great.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jx00D8dFj0k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jx00D8dFj0k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

I'll have to go back and watch the rest of this one myself.
This looks to be right up my ally. The art is pretty nice. Seems well animated too.

KOR, Touch and Maison Ikkoku - in whichever order works for you - is deffo the way to go.

The strange thing is, KOR is the shallowest of the lot (TV-wise) and ends up providing the most satisfying conclusion, thanks in no small part to the last chapter animated being an adaptation of a light novel NOT written by the original author.

Touch has the most involving, in-depth love triangle of all-time... followed by nothing at all happening for roughly 75% of the series. And, although Maison Ikkoku is the most mature and rewarding of the bunch overall, it's so drawn out that it can be a test of patience.

...There's City Hunter too, if romance gets a bit much.

Professor Irony said:

I've been interested in this for YEARS but I've never been able to get my hands on it.

Not by the way of "DVD" either.

Last edited by a moderator:
As it happens, Amazon has the 2007 release of the DVD through the marketplace for £20 at the moment.

Although there does appear to be a remastered version available through [other entirely legal means] as well.

AironicallyHuman said:
KOR, Touch and Maison Ikkoku - in whichever order works for you - is deffo the way to go.

The strange thing is, KOR is the shallowest of the lot (TV-wise) and ends up providing the most satisfying conclusion, thanks in no small part to the last chapter animated being an adaptation of a light novel NOT written by the original author.

Touch has the most involving, in-depth love triangle of all-time... followed by nothing at all happening for roughly 75% of the series. And, although Maison Ikkoku is the most mature and rewarding of the bunch overall, it's so drawn out that it can be a test of patience.

...There's City Hunter too, if romance gets a bit much.
I'm up to episode 35 of Touch. I didn't see the incident coming at all. Whilst watching this I realise just how good romance anime were back in the day. There's no sexual innuendo or mindless fan-service to fill up time and the relationships feel a lot more believable.

Zin5ki said:
It appears that the first half of the 1990s was more fecund than I thought. Would you be so gentlemanly as to impart any more information about the content or stylisation of [Zeiram]? With which other series could it most closely be compared?
Like the Prof says, there's nothing comparable in terms of anime, or at least nothing readily obvious, despite the premise not really standing out as anything particularly original. I've always thought it shared some superficial similarities with The Terminator, and indeed the Wiki page for the live action films (for which the subsequent anime OVA serves as a prequel) confirms it was an influence. It's a good show, albeit one I must confess I like more for the visuals than anything else.

Anyone looking to pick up the DVDs might be interested to know that the most recent release is available for $15 at Second Spin (who are currently running one of their wallet-emptying "20% of plus free shipping" promotions) though you'd have to order something along with it to push the value past $20.

Something to pursue, I suppose. I shall wait until the purchases I'm currently planning have been completed before I attempt to locate a copy, however.

Back