GiTS and Akira double bill at the Prince Charles Cinema

Kaede

Adventurer
Hey peeps, first post in a while, did a search of the forum and didn't find anything.

The Prince Charles Cinema in London (just off Leicester Square) is screening Ghost In The Shell and Akira as a double bill on Monday May 18th.

I've been to a few classic film nights at the Prince Charles (The Terminator, Die Hard...) and it's a great night out. Tickets are £5 per film and you can even enjoy a cheap bottled beer in the cinema. :)

Please see the links below for more details.

Ghost In The Shell: http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... h=5&day=18

Akira: http://www.princecharlescinema.com/inde ... h=5&day=18

Regards

K

well it'll definatly make for a day out, rather then watching a film in a stuff room :)

now if only we could screen more anime films on a steady bases, like Woking did for "Spirited Away"

I've never seen GitS on the big screen so it would be a tempting a prospect, as is Akira. I watched Blade of the Immortal at the Barbican a while back which was fantastic - so I'd definitely be up for this.

Kaede said:
The Prince Charles Cinema in London (just off Leicester Square) is screening Ghost In The Shell and Akira as a double bill on Monday May 18th.
The price is right and the location's perfect for me, but I've got an exam on that day, and another a few days later.
Does anyone know what language the films would be shown in though?

I'm assuming it will be the English dubbed version.

Also, just received this from the Prince Charles via Facebook:

The Prince Charles Cinema, in association with Korean Cultural Centre, Japan Foundation and Terracotta Distribution, present a series of events designed to give film lovers the chance to explore new areas of world cinema.

The Prince Charles Cinema will host two screenings of notable films, each accompanied by a talk and Q&A session, explaining the importance and context of these films.

AN INTRODUCTION TO KOREAN CINEMA
21/04 - A Tale Of Two Sisters

AN INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE CINEMA
28/04 - Seven Samurai

Might be of interest to someone...

Highlander is also going to be shown at the Prince Charles Cinema as part of the Classic Film Nights. I believe it is being shown on the 20th Apr.

I haven't seen Akira but I would like to, and I would love to see Ghost In The Shell on the big screen! However, I don't know if I could get the Monday afternoon off to travel in and see it :(

Still, thanks for the heads-up!

Kaede said:
I'm assuming it will be the English dubbed version.

Also, just received this from the Prince Charles via Facebook:

The Prince Charles Cinema, in association with Korean Cultural Centre, Japan Foundation and Terracotta Distribution, present a series of events designed to give film lovers the chance to explore new areas of world cinema.

The Prince Charles Cinema will host two screenings of notable films, each accompanied by a talk and Q&A session, explaining the importance and context of these films.

AN INTRODUCTION TO KOREAN CINEMA
21/04 - A Tale Of Two Sisters

AN INTRODUCTION TO JAPANESE CINEMA
28/04 - Seven Samurai

Might be of interest to someone...

Both movies are excellent. Seven Samurai is really old by now, though. It would be interesting for those who have seen Gonzo's Samurai 7. The source material is truly a masterpiece.

A tale of two sisters is one movie I've seen on DVD and I want to own it, so good it was.

I'm not going to see Akira or gits as I've seen akira on the big screen already and I have <dreamed_about> buying tickets for GiTS 2.0 at the Barbican already.</dreamed_about>

edited - as I probably dreamed about buying tickets that are not for sale yet. I did get Utena and Gigantor though.

Hi, Chaos. When is GiTS 2.0 on at The Barbican? Please don't tell me I've already missed it! :(

Do you have a link?

Cheers

K

Kaede said:
Hi, Chaos. When is GiTS 2.0 on at The Barbican? Please don't tell me I've already missed it! :(

Do you have a link?

Cheers

K
You're lucky, it's a long way before it will be screening - I don't see it listed on the website, but I had a flyer with the date. I'll check once I get home if I still have this.

http://barbican.org.uk/film/series.asp?id=379

I believe it will be closer to the DVD release, which is September.

OK...talking to myself on this thread now, but was wondering if anyone went along to this last night? I just turned up for Akira and it was a complete sell out.

Seems the PCC got hold of an early subtitled version of the film, much better than the hideously dubbed old Manga Video release I used to have. The film was quite scratchy in places, which couldn't be helped really, but this just adds to the cinema experience for me. :)

If the PCC do show any more anime films in the future I strongly reccomend heading down!

Regards

K

Haha, it's easy to forget how good we have things down in the big smoke in terms of going out to stuff like this.

GiTS 2.0 is showing on 22nd May... :roll:

Kaede said:
Seems the PCC got hold of an early subtitled version of the film, much better than the hideously dubbed old Manga Video release I used to have. The film was quite scratchy in places, which couldn't be helped really, but this just adds to the cinema experience for me.
I was under the impression that they'd show a dubbed version. Now that I know otherwise, I can add this showing to my list of missed opportunities.

Back