General TV/Movie News & Announcements

There are quite a few criterion titles I still need to import. Amazon US currently have a 3 for 2 deal going which includes a bunch of titles including Blue Velvet which I’m tempted to get.

Speaking of Netflix, they're probably kicking tbemselves for not getting the international rights to Picard. Especially cobsidering they have every other Trek TV show.

Between this, The Boys, The Tick, and Expanse,, Amazon Video is really pulling its weight. If the Middle Earth series comes together, its a keeper!

Speaking of Netflix, they're probably kicking tbemselves for not getting the international rights to Picard. Especially cobsidering they have every other Trek TV show.

Between this, The Boys, The Tick, and Expanse,, Amazon Video is really pulling its weight. If the Middle Earth series comes together, its a keeper!

Uh, Netflix and CBS are not on the best of terms after the negative fan reaction to Star Trek Discovery, Netflix turned down ST: Picard because of that and now its looking like negative fan reaction to that show might affect if of not a second season is put into production. Same could happen with the upcoming adult animated Star Trek Lower Decks series

At least it means I have blu Ray’s of discovery but you can tell Picard was meant to be an olive branch to fans and it’s working. So I would have punted on it if I was Netflix but it sounds like it was just put to highest bidder who was indeed not Netflix and Amazon launch episodes at 11pm night before not 8am so another brownie point

At least it means I have blu Ray’s of discovery but you can tell Picard was meant to be an olive branch to fans and it’s working. So I would have punted on it if I was Netflix but it sounds like it was just put to highest bidder who was indeed not Netflix and Amazon launch episodes at 11pm night before not 8am so another brownie point
Amazon still release it too late, so I’ll be stealing it each week.

Uh, Netflix and CBS are not on the best of terms after the negative fan reaction to Star Trek Discovery, Netflix turned down ST: Picard because of that and now its looking like negative fan reaction to that show might affect if of not a second season is put into production. Same could happen with the upcoming adult animated Star Trek Lower Decks series

Is this actual fact or just Internet assumptions? Because from where I'm standing Discovery keeps getting renewed and given a handsome budget, and it's getting just as much promotion and love as Picard within the fandom. Discovery is a fantastic show with one of the best casts we've had in years. If Picard fails I cannot see how it would be rational to draw a direct link between the two situations; Picard and the current massive Trek revival is only happening in the first place because of Discovery (don't get me wrong, I'm delighted about Picard too!)

My father, who raised me on Star Trek and has a whole house filled with Star Trek things, is thrilled about Picard but at the same time, he's sending me text messages begging to know the latest on the release date for Discovery s3 and saying he's even more excited about that. I strongly question the truth of statements which sweepingly dismiss Discovery's contributions.

Having multiple Trek shows behind different online paywalls is likely to be a bigger problem, here in the UK where our streaming is so horrifically fragmented already. The crummy treatment of the Short Treks is a sore point.

(Zero interest in Lower Decks.)

R

Ok, I can't be bothered to watch copypasted Internet videos from some melodramatic conspiracy theory channel I've never heard of for the better part of an hour in response to my questions, so I'm just going to assume that it's all anti-Discovery propaganda using their unnamed 'sources' to 'prove' things simply by bombarding the viewer with strawman arguments until something sticks. I've been to cons over the last few years. I've seen the 'fan reaction' for myself. I've heard Patrick Stewart and his colleagues talking about the new show, in person. Star Trek has not been in a better position than it is now since the 1990s and it's going to take more than a couple of conspiracy theorists to overturn my ability to read the writing on the wall.

R

I dunno, with SW it felt as though the team listened too much to a certain kind of viewer and ignored their integrity entirely. Here it feels like I'm being told that Discovery is universally hated so that people with an agenda can blame it for something completely different and I'm just not seeing it. Frankly speaking, listening too much to that crowd would be making the same mistake that we all saw play out with Star Wars last year.

Are there some weird decisions in Discovery now and then? Sure. Every Trek has weird twists and episodes which didn't work so well as others. Am I exceptionally excited about s3? Heck yeah. I'm finally getting a series which gives me the same vibe as the Trek shows which first won me over after years of irredeemably rubbish writing.

R

The results of the 92nd Academy Awards:

• Best Cinematography - Roger Deakins
  • Best Sound Mixing - Mark Taylor and Stuart Wilson
  • Best Visual Effects - Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler, and Dominic Tuohy
Bombshell
  • Best Makeup and Hairstyling - Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan, and Vivian Baker
Ford v Ferrari (Le Mans 66)
  • Best Film Editing - Andrew Buckland and Michael McCusker
  • Best Sound Editing - Donald Sylvester
Jojo Rabbit
  • Best Adapted Screenplay - Taika Waititi based on the novel Caging Skies by Christine Leunens
Joker
  • Best Leading Actor - Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck / Joker
  • Best Original Score - Hildur Guðnadóttir
Judy
  • Best Leading Actress - Renée Zellweger as Judy Garland
Little Women
  • Best Costume Design - Jacqueline Durran
Marriage Story
  • Best Supporting Actress - Laura Dern as Nora Fanshaw
Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood
  • Best Production Design - Production Design: Barbara Ling; Set Decoration: Nancy Haigh
  • Best Supporting Actor - Brad Pitt as Cliff Booth
Parasite (기생충)
  • Best Director - Bong Joon-ho
  • Best International Feature Film - South Korea - Directed by Bong Joon-ho
  • Best Original Screenplay - Bong Joon-ho and Han Jin-won
  • Best Picture - Kwak Sin-ae and Bong Joon-ho
Rocketman
  • Best Original Song - "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" - Music by Elton John; Lyrics by Bernie Taupin
Toy Story 4
  • Best Animated Feature Film - Josh Cooley, Jonas Rivera, and Mark Nielsen
Other features that have won awards:
  • Best Animated Short Film - Hair Love - Matthew A. Cherry and Karen Rupert Toliver
  • Best Documentary Feature - American Factory - Steven Bognar, Julia Reichert and Jeff Reichert
  • Best Documentary Short Subject - Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl) - Carol Dysinger and Elena Andreicheva
  • Best Live Action Short Film - The Neighbors' Window – Marshall Curry

The importance of Parasite's win cannot be overstated. An incredible achievement for director Bong and Korean cinema.
Indeed. Now I want to see the rest of his works get re-released in the best way possible. I still only have The Host (which interestingly was my first Korean film I think before Oldboy) and I'll be picking up Parasite this June.

First time ever a foreign film won the Best Picture price, and very well deserved I might say. Have some films from Bong on BD, like Madeo (Mother), which I highly recommend, and off course Snowpiercer. But also have The Host and Memories of Murder but still need to watch these.

Maybe time to plan in a South Korean month, but kinda hard with all the anime I watch these days :)

Back