General Politics Thread

The whole Orville thing vs Discovery kinda made me hate the Star Trek fandom it’s a story of hope and future is better oh my it’s a got a woman better than Janeway in it, also I haven’t the Orville because I gave Seth McFarlene enough LA chances and he sucked in most of them. If it’s still on FOX when S3 eventually airs I may watch but it’s fandom is toxic right now.
That's unfair labelling a hole fandom as toxic and your doing the same thing as some of the media is doing. labelling a hole fandom just because of a few bad apples.

S2 of discovery I feel suffered due to trying to cater to everyone. I hope Picard is better.

Well, it looks like S3 will have a cleaner break which I'm looking forward too.

That's unfair labelling a hole fandom as toxic and your doing the same thing as some of the media is doing. labelling a hole fandom just because of a few bad apples.

Yes but that minority is loud and really poisons the well of discussion. I tbink the series focuses too much on Michael but I'd like to be able to express that without peopke piggybacking off my argument to bang ob about 'agendas'.

And I sense we need a new thread.

Well, it looks like S3 will have a cleaner break which I'm looking forward too.

Yes but that minority is loud and really poisons the well of discussion. I tbink the series focuses too much on Michael but I'd like to be able to express that without peopke piggybacking off my argument to bang ob about 'agendas'.

And I sense we need a new thread.
Seriously I have no agenda.

I sense we need a new thread.
The thread you're looking for is here.

brexit isn't going to happen then. not the best versed in polotics but I'm pretty sure they put the most complex stuff in place just to stop the things they don't want.

oct 31st will be a scary wakeup call for them, ironically. they already lost the respect of the public a long time ago, after this, I'm fully expecting people to start egging their houses or something, really voicing out basic hatred for MPs, whatever the sex pistols jokingly thought to themselves that britian would look like will come to pass, I'm not saying streets will be on fire or something, just people will start acting like there is no ruling government
I'm hoping for a more Diamond Dogs style future personally, dibs on the Shard.

At the risk of retreading some old Brexit thread talking points, just as Vote Leave never technically promised £350 million quid for the NHS, the 2016 vote technically wasn't a referendum on immigration or membership of the single market, it was a referendum on leaving the EU. Useless Theresa could quite easily have secured a comfortable majority for a Norway style deal whereby the UK left the EU but remained in the single market. It would have caused a minimum of disruption and, technically, have honoured the result of the vote. But she was useless (and, much like Call me Dave who called the referendum in the first place, scared of UKIP cutting into the Tory vote and trying to keikaku above her pay grade) so she instead proceeded to create her sh*t sandwich of a deal that nobody wanted to eat, because it was very obviously a sh*t sandwich. And also, in a stroke of genius akin to JFK handing Lee Harvey Oswald a rifle and telling him he'd get a really good view from the School Book Depository, promoted Boris to one of the highest offices in the land.

As such I don't think there's anything wrong with the other parties refusing to grant Boris, Rees-Mogg and the rest of the cast of Carry On Brexit an election. They made the sh*t sandwich and it's only fair they should be the ones who have to eat it.

Good news everyone extinction rebellion is prohibited from protesting any were in London if they do they will be charged and prosecuted so no more settings up camp and the emergency services don't have to worry about not getting to live or death situation where every second counts.they had their chance to behave themselves.i gess was down them to doings things like getting a tube station shutdown because of over crowding and some turnip glued him self to a plane and a Planed shutdown of an airport.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ction-rebellion-protests-from-whole-of-london
If this is in the Wong place mods can move if they want to.

Good news everyone extinction rebellion is prohibited from protesting any were in London if they do they will be charged and prosecuted so no more settings up camp and the emergency services don't have to worry about not getting to live or death situation where every second counts.they had their chance to behave themselves.i gess was down them to doings things like getting a tube station shutdown because of over crowding and some turnip glued him self to a plane and a Planed shutdown of an airport.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ction-rebellion-protests-from-whole-of-london
If this is in the Wong place mods can move if they want to.
Someone tell plyd cymru that they are hippocratic time wasting disruptive criminals. After their first protest in London everywhere in Wales was Forced To recycle. I'm free not to, if I want to be charged £100 a week, and that's nearly half my wage despite how much I have to work for it

Plaid Cymru has moved onto being pro independence these days, which is why I probably will never consider voting for them now. When they cared about the environment and other issues bar Brexit and independence I cared about them I no longer do.

If this is in the Wong place
Wong_ranch.jpg
It probably is, but I'll keep my reply here so it's easier for a mod to migrate the whole lot to the politics thread.

I'm totally in favour of direct action to achieve political goals, because as we've seen petitions do nothing, peaceful protests do nothing and democracy, the media and the justice system are corrupt and broken and largely owned by the massive corporations that actually run the world. That said, it's very hard to find legitimate targets when it comes to climate change - The UK as a country has cut its emissions massively over the past three decades which is something I've noticed several politicians pointing out, but what they don't draw attention to is how much stuff we import from places where they've gone up. Essentially a ton of the developing world's emissions are actually down to producing and shipping products for people in developed countries to consume. So the real driver of emissions is globalisation - Not producing products locally to where they're consumed, allowing them instead to be produced in places with less environmental regulation and necessitating burning massive amounts of fuel shipping them around the world by air, sea and road. To quote this recent article: "if shipping was a country, it would be the sixth-largest polluter in the world"

But who do you blame for that? Governments largely, for allowing it to happen in the first place via free trade agreements, but they're not likely to do anything about it of their own accord because the multinationals that run the show like things this way. Their shipping costs are offset by how little they can pay workers in developing countries and the profits they make selling the stuff they make in developed countries. So really, consumers in developed countries do have to shoulder a lot of the blame. People could buy products made in the UK, but they'd be massively more expensive because the people producing them would actually need to be paid a decent wage, so they buy products made in China and India instead (and then a lot of them moan that we're not the problem when it comes to emissions, it's China and India). Short of an actual revolution, I don't know how we solve problems like this any more if the majority of people aren't willing to admit to being part of the problem or change their behaviour.

After their first protest in London everywhere in Wales was Forced To recycle.
As someone who's lived in an area that's done compulsory recycling for years already, my own thoughts on that, are: Good. Everything that can be recycled should be (and in my opinion everything that can't should be incinerated to provide energy) to do otherwise is not only wasteful but inefficient. It's not exactly hard to sort recyclables and landfill is an abomination.

Last edited:
As someone who's lived in an area that's done compulsory recycling for years already, my own thoughts on that, are: Good. Everything that can be recycled should be (and in my opinion everything that can't should be incinerated to provide energy) to do otherwise is not only wasteful but inefficient. It's not exactly hard to sort recyclables and landfill is an abomination.
Yes but what about choice? It’s only through my brother on an opposite shift that that it’d ever get done . If we didn’t live together we’d have no time to do it, it seems to be a reaction to something that didn’t even happen here, a political act that no one really cares about. Having to do it myself now i do see it’s not that hard, but I don’t really care about any political movement or the environment, I just don’t want to live by more compulsory rules, especially ones so silly as this

The recycling rules have been basically in place for 17 years for me, Newport started 2002 they've become more strict because people didn't care literally the only way to make people recycle was force it on them smaller bins and fines. Its the people choice that lead to this they failed so its forced on them.
They should give older people some assistance though as I know it’s too much work for my Nan so my mum does it.

I don't understand why we don't use one or two types of recyclable plastic.
It would bring costs down and no more land fill. Also it makes my life easier as I don't need to check each package.
Also focusing on materials that can be reused over and over so its sustainable.

I was taking to a friend would said it's so expensive to be buried. Yet the government wants to plant a million trees.
I said two birds one stone. Why not bury people that way?
A tree to remember someone to be cherished and payed for at the same time.
Around half a million people die a year. That's alot of trees.

Yes but what about choice? It’s only through my brother on an opposite shift that that it’d ever get done . If we didn’t live together we’d have no time to do it, it seems to be a reaction to something that didn’t even happen here, a political act that no one really cares about. Having to do it myself now i do see it’s not that hard, but I don’t really care about any political movement or the environment, I just don’t want to live by more compulsory rules, especially ones so silly as this
I’m all for choice, when it’s things that only affect the individual making the choice. “The environment” encompasses a lot of things, and while I don’t know, I’d hazard a guess you might care if someone dumped a load of asbestos in your back yard. We have rules in place to prevent people wrecking the environment for other people, just as we have laws against say, anti-social behaviour.

I don’t think anybody outside of a very peculiar subset of coal-rolling, electric car charger blocking Americans (and perhaps littering kids who want to prove to their friends how bad-ass they are by not following the rules - I suspect the two are not all that different in mental age and outlook) actually takes any pride in actively and knowingly harming the environment we all have to live in (the air we breathe, the water we drink and the land we grow crops in) along with all the non-human creatures we depend on to keep it all working. So even if sorting it takes a couple of minutes out of your day it’s gotta make you feel a little good to be doing something to help, or at least not do as much harm, no?

I was taking to a friend would said it's so expensive to be buried. Yet the government wants to plant a million trees.
I said two birds one stone. Why not bury people that way?
A tree to remember someone to be cherished and payed for at the same time.
Woodland burial, where they do exactly what you’ve described there Denny, is totally a thing. If you’re not concerned about being disposed of in a particular way or place because of your beliefs, it is considerably cheaper and better for the environment since they normally use more quickly biodegradable coffins as well - I mean it’s only going to be buried and decompose along with you, how fancy does it really need to be?

Last edited:
I didn't realise that some people were so against recycling for political reasons when it makes so much sense to throw things away in a way that reduces pointless waste. It's been treated as common sense in Japan for ages. We have mandatory recycling in my area and it's very low effort - I think my neighbour who tries to circumvent the system by stuffing everything in his black bin and crushing it down actually spends far more time and effort than he would if he just chucked his card/plastic/tins in the right places in the first place. His futile efforts to fight 'the system' continue nonetheless.

Agree that it would be nice if providers could sort their lives out and make products in packaging that is actually recyclable so that the whole process was more straightforward. Ultimately I just keep the recyclable stuff separate at the time I binned it then quickly put everything in the collection boxes on bin night. I genuinely cannot imagine it being that difficult for most people able to carry a heavy black sack out. Our previous home had no outdoor storage at all and no space in the shoebox-sized kitchen area and it was still perfectly doable.

I used to say that when I died I wanted to be buried rather than cremated because tradition and familiarity with the nice image of having a coffin and a grave, but at some point I stopped caring. I'm happy for them to dispose of my corpse however is most convenient when the time comes. My friend had a woodland burial with her ashes taking up a tiny little space accompanied by a non-permanent grave marker and it was thoroughly beautiful. We all know where she is.

R

Recycling in this country is a joke. For one thing it doesn't happen in this country. Waste gets exported to third world nations where homeless street urchins sort through the rubbish, breaking it up for all the valuable stuff, as it's worthwhile at 50p a week, but worthless at the minimum wage. A hundred percent of recycling should happen in the country of use, instead of burning a few hundred tonnes of carbon per shipment to get it to Indonesia.

Recycling in this country is a joke. For one thing it doesn't happen in this country. Waste gets exported to third world nations where homeless street urchins sort through the rubbish, breaking it up for all the valuable stuff, as it's worthwhile at 50p a week, but worthless at the minimum wage. A hundred percent of recycling should happen in the country of use, instead of burning a few hundred tonnes of carbon per shipment to get it to Indonesia.
What country is that may I ask? Maybe if you had electronics to throw out that happens, they are often the countries that mine and create the things the look for in recycled electronics and that sort of stuff, the rest like plastic, glass and paper is sorted out in this country.

Not in my town though, my father had to look through my rubbish (because we had to order in the recyclable bins, because munters in my hole of a town steal them or the council took them, something like that) he found out that my town doesn't even recycle anything, it's all done in a town over where my brother stops off to visit

I'll reiterate it again; it's being forced, being charged for not doing it that bothers me. I don't listen to anything about the planet, or how what I do or don't do effects someone in another continent (to be honest, I don't think I have that effect at all) but yes, it is easier then I thought, it's just that, if you're ordered on how you throw things away, how much freedom in your life do you really have?

It's been widely reported in the press that plastics are problematic and it's documented fact that most councils send them abroad in bulk for processing because they aren't funding the facilities here. What we do recycle in the UK is often processed in a few dedicated locations rather than every individual town having its own plant. If you've missed the information to which JPT referred, Google is your friend.

People here steal the recycling stuff too. I wrote all over mine so it's apparently less desirable; haven't lost a box since. The old recycling bags used to blow away whenever the collection team left them in the road though; good riddance to those.

I don't have much patience for the view that not bothering to understand your place in the world exempts you from having an effect. You can always drive your household rubbish to a dump by yourself if you want full control over trivial things, or commission an external waste company to collect it. I don't think either of those are especially good solutions but they exist for people who prefer not to use shared services. Better yet, go out of your way to avoid generating excess rubbish and then you don't have to throw so much away or pay for collections at all! The council waste collections happen on the council waste collectors' terms, and their terms now promote separating rubbish in many regions because even the government is finally realising that we can't keep treating our planet like a landfill site of infinite capacity forever.

I don't think there's much sense in refusing to do something outright just because it's not 100% perfect in its current form. If everyone refuses to do anything until it's perfect we may as well go back to living in caves and hitting one another with sticks.

R

Back