General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

I must take this opportunity to mention to you @Demelza that @Neil.T purchased a dirty and depraved manga last week and I just... I just can't look at him right now *huffs*

😤

Could it be a case of girls perhaps worrying that they'd perhaps get the mickey taken out of them for admitting to liking anime? I kind of get the same vibe from the hardcore gaming fans - the consensus that we're just not allowed to like these things?

I think a lot of it probably boils down to that, yeah. Like you say gaming has had this problem for awhile where people are still surprised that girls play games too and I think a lot of the female fans just can't be bothered with that reaction so don't bother making it well known. To be honest a lot of communities are overrun with the hardcore crowd too, which can be intimidating. None of this being helped by a lot of communities being more like... a boys club I guess?

I mean I say this but AUKN is definitely one of the better communities for having a balance. I feel like anyone can have a good time here regardless of gender or being a casual or hardcore fan. :3

I must take this opportunity to mention to you @Demelza that @Neil.T purchased a dirty and depraved manga last week and I just... I just can't look at him right now *huffs*

😤

Admittedly I am guilty of buying somewhat dirty manga sometimes... I will proudly declare this to @Teapot and he just rolls his eyes at me now. XD

I think a lot of it probably boils down to that, yeah. Like you say gaming has had this problem for awhile where people are still surprised that girls play games too and I think a lot of the female fans just can't be bothered with that reaction so don't bother making it well known. To be honest a lot of communities are overrun with the hardcore crowd too, which can be intimidating. None of this being helped by a lot of communities being more like... a boys club I guess?

I mean I say this but AUKN is definitely one of the better communities for having a balance. I feel like anyone can have a good time here regardless of gender or being a casual or hardcore fan. :3

Admittedly I am guilty of buying somewhat dirty manga sometimes... I will proudly declare this to @Teapot and he just rolls his eyes at me now. XD
But you don't understand, @Demelza - I have so many more reasons to roll my eyes at @Neil.T than just dirty manga! 😸😹😸😹😸

Yeah, I think you make some valid points, and I definitely feel welcome here, despite not having as much knowledge as many other folk - people here are decent 😺

Too late - I'm already there 😑

😹😸😹😸😹😸😹😸
may_has_spinning_eyes_by_xryder786-d9lhms5.gif

😛

You actively show off the smutty scenes in your manga to me too. You just do it to see how I'll react, I'm sure. :p

Could it be a case of girls perhaps worrying that they'd perhaps get the mickey taken out of them for admitting to liking anime? I kind of get the same vibe from the hardcore gaming fans - the consensus that we're just not allowed to like these things?
I'm always worried about this – I think a lot of fandoms, particularly online, kinda congeal into boy's clubs and become quite exclusionary, which is the last thing I want to see happen here. Too much testosterone isn't always a good thing. :p

You actively show off the smutty scenes in your manga to me too. You just do it to see how I'll react, I'm sure. :p

I'm always worried about this – I think a lot of fandoms, particularly online, kinda congeal into boy's clubs and become quite exclusionary, which is the last thing I want to see happen here. Too much testosterone isn't always a good thing. :p
A gentlepot amongst, well, teapots! 😹😸😹😸😹

As far as I'm concerned, anybody can like anything, irrespective of gender. I think while there are some internet communities out there that promote inclusiveness, on the whole there are still some very niche and toxic fandoms with very narrow-minded attitudes which do nothing to help the cause, whether they're male or female.

I do think women need to use their voice more, for sure, in a positive way, in many sociological aspects though, not just stuff like this. I think people need to be more kind to each other, and accepting - it's all too easy to perpetuate hate from behind a keyboard.

In Japan there are a lot of complaints that women are 'taking over' anime and other nerdy pursuits even though they've been active in fandom since the beginning. The situation is very different to the west where mainstream anime pundits will happily go on record to remind women how little their buying power matters (manga, however, is another matter!)

It's true that in Japan the demographics spend their money differently, though. Figures are seen as more popular with a (presumed straight) male audience, whereas for women the merchandise is often stationery, practical items like towels, CDs, stage play spin-offs and pop-up events. And an awful lot of doujin goods which don't generally channel funds back into the industry at all (but massively boost fandom activity in other ways). I wouldn't say that women (and others who prefer those titles) always shy away from buying the BDs/DVDs after some of the rushes and widely-reported shortages for shows with massively female-skewed audiences like Osomatsu-san, YOI and Tiger & Bunny - but it does seem trickier for companies to latch onto that market. Decent larger scale figures of male characters are always rare and tend to get pricey on the used market, with the exception of some shounen action titles (One Piece and DB figures seem to get by).

Though I think it's also the fault of the original designs to some extent. LN harem titles tend to put more effort into the designs for the female characters because of the intended audience and not many people want to pay a lot for figures of relatively drab-looking dudes. Some of the flashier male character designs have done a lot better in the figure department than those poor isekai fantasy heroes.

R

Last edited:
Interesting conversation. A figure of a male character can certainly have a powerful draw. I've mentioned this before, but a particular "statue" of Vash from Trigun haunted my dreams for over a decade after I saw it in a comic shop in my youth. It's the only figure I've ever been very interested in, it was an obsession really (and it probably nearly destroyed me). My days of coveting such an item are long gone, but it's a shame other male characters aren't given the same loving treatment that Vash once was by figuresmiths.

The big boobie stuff usually stays and doesn’t get censored.... they take more offense to lolis etc and underage. Yet stuff like rape is fine oh well apparently they will be more critical of rape now

I'm sorry to be thick but what's a "loli?" 😅

Back