Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

Aion

Time-Traveller
I downloaded Gankutsuou after someone recommended it and started to watch it at around 1 AM, planning only to watch 3 episodes. I ended up staying up to 7 AM (now), stopping at the 18th episode.

I've decided - Episode 18 of Gankutsuou is the best anime episode I've ever watched. An amazing looking CG fight and it even made me, a cold hearted bastard, get semi-watery eyed. It takes a lot to wow me these days and the execution of episode 18 blew me away.

In truth, I wasn't sure what to think of the series at the halfway stage. The plot made for compelling viewing, but it was all build up for the main event up to that point and nothing amazing had happened. Combined with Albert having the IQ of a dog throughout, I just wasn't sure what to make of the show.

Anyway. Are there plans for this to be released over here? It's way too good to to be.

Gah, I've wanted to watch Gankutsuou for ages, but no one will release it over here. I did see an ad for it on GDH's Afro Samurai DVD released last year, but there's still no sign of Gankutsuou :[

Such a great show one of my favorites.

I doubt it will be released in the UK at this stage because if anyone was going to release it they probably would have by now. I was lucky enough to get the really nice R1 boxset that Geneon released before they withdrew from the DVD market (it was actually in the very last batch of releases) but that is very hard to find now, but if you can get it you really should.

CitizenGeek said:
Gah, I've wanted to watch Gankutsuou for ages, but no one will release it over here. I did see an ad for it on GDH's Afro Samurai DVD released last year, but there's still no sign of Gankutsuou :[

There's a quick and painless 7 GB torrent over on the KAA website. :D

In my holy opinion, you aren't a real anime fan if you don't watch the original version of an anime at least once. Dubs change the script, mostly for localization reasons, and you can often take in more information when watching it subbed since you're reading. There's also the small matter of Japanese voice acting being bloody amazing 99% of the time.

I wish I didn't enjoy watching anime in Japanese so much - Slight vertical double vision + white subs on a dark background doesn't make for a pretty sight.

Anyway, Gankutsuou is quite possibly the best anime I've ever seen... The way the plot all comes together and there's little to nothing put in at random makes it all the more epic. It certainly has one of the best episodes and one of the best characters I've seen in an anime.

Zen 2nd said:
In my holy opinion, you aren't a real anime fan if you don't purchase the anime.

In my holier than thou opinion, that's irrelevant.

If you're trying to (for some bizarre reason) suggest I don't purchase anime, you are an idiot.

Aion said:
In my holy opinion, you aren't a real anime fan if you don't watch the original version of an anime at least once.

No effect whatsoever, sorry. I hear silly, flimsy crap like that all the time, but it never has an effect.

Japanese scripts are never, ever good enough to warrant specifically choosing it over an English adaptation. I don't speak Japanese, so it doesn't really matter how good the acting is; if I can't understand it, what's the point?

If you're trying to (for some bizarre reason) suggest I don't purchase anime, you are an idiot.

You certainly seem to do your absolute best to avoid it, anyway.

Aion said:
Zen 2nd said:
In my holy opinion, you aren't a real anime fan if you don't purchase the anime.

In my holier than thou opinion, that's irrelevant.

If you noticed I said "if you don't purchase the anime" which indicates quite clearly I'm talking about Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. If I were to "suggest" that you don't purchase any anime at all it would have been "if you don't purchase anime"

Though one may be lead to believe that you do in fact purchase no anime when they see your Need to free up HDD space - What to watch first? thread. This thread even hints at the fact that you are freeing up more space to put even more anime on it.

The fact is you download anime, which according to that thread, is actually currently available in the UK at this present time. You are nothing more than a thief.

You're no better, Mr. Gundam O.O - You really need to put down the anti-anime download act or stop downloading any anime.

Aion said:
If you noticed I said "if you don't purchase the anime" which indicates quite clearly I'm talking about Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo. If I were to "suggest" that you don't purchase any anime at all it would have been "if you don't purchase anime"

The funny thing is, I actually asked if Gank was coming out over here in the very first post. I wonder why I asked about that if I didn't plan to buy it.

If you're going to use my threads, you should also mention the one I posted about anime purchased off eBay just the other day... There's also the thread where I said I'd ordered the Noein box set a few days earlier... And, if you look harder, I admitted to ordering 38 DVD's (all I could) from the ADV sale.

I'll happily continue downloading anime until I'm stopped. I'm not an idiot who spends £13 on 4 episode DVD, nor am I a rich boy who's given me a £500 weekly allowance. What I am is a bargain hunter who loves anime. I'd rather be a 'thief' than someone who throws money away.

Aion said:
You're no better, Mr. Gundam O.O - You really need to put down the anti-anime download act or stop downloading any anime.

Aion said:

The funny thing is, I actually asked if Gank was coming out over here in the very first post. I wonder why I asked about that if I didn't plan to buy it.

If you're going to use my threads, you should also mention the one I posted about anime purchased off eBay just the other day... There's also the thread where I said I'd ordered the Noein box set a few days earlier... And, if you look harder, I admitted to ordering 38 DVD's (all I could) from the ADV sale.

I'll happily continue downloading anime until I'm stopped. I'm not an idiot who spends £13 on 4 episode DVD, nor am I a rich boy who's given me a £500 weekly allowance. What I am is a bargain hunter who loves anime. I'd rather be a 'thief' than someone who throws money away.

Use whatever excuses you want, your still a thief.

Zen 2nd said:

In fairness this is a special case because its not currently available in english, although normallly i'd agree.

CitizenGeek said:
3) I really want to watch it dubbed, anyway.

Trust me you really don't! I'm not an anti dub fanatic by any means but this is one show where the dub is very badly done, the characters are badly cast and in a few cases are so over acted that they it turns what is a very well crafted and artful anime into a bad comedic parody.

Also the French and Italian sections from the original Japanese version are dubbed into English rather than being re-recorded in French and Italian which is a major mistake in parts as the characters aren't supposed to understand the language being spoken.

Aion said:

Gundam 00 isn't licensed, it's not available here. If it was, I'd be collecting it on DVD. But it isn't. And I intend on buying Gundam 00 when it does come out. Stop acting all high and mighty, yes I've watched some series online, but I intend to buy all of them when ever (or if ever) I can. You download the vast majority of your anime, and you're even stupid enough to act like you're entitled to it.

You only buy anime when it suits you, it seems. What you're forgetting is that you are not entitled to anime, regardless of what it costs.

Hybridchild said:
Trust me you really don't! I'm not an anti dub fanatic by any means but this is one show where the dub is very badly done, the characters are badly cast and in a few cases are so over acted that they it turns what is a very well crafted and artful anime into a bad comedic parody.

Also the French and Italian sections from the original Japanese version are dubbed into English rather than being re-recorded in French and Italian which is a major mistake in parts as the characters aren't supposed to understand the language being spoken.

Ah, I see! Still, I'd at least like to try the dub. Plus, the French and Italian sections aren't Japanese VAs trying to speak those languages, right?

Most of the French was done by Jean-Jaques Burrell who done the music for the show but some was done by the Japaneses cast as was the Italian, i cant speak for the French but an Italian friend of mine said the Italian was as near perfect as can be expected from a non native Italian speaker

CitizenGeek said:
Gundam 00 isn't licensed, it's not available here.

You're ignoring the point. It doesn't matter if the anime is available in Japan, America or Europe if you're truly against people downloading anime and think it's wrong - You don't do it. As I've told you before, you don't live in Japan or pay for a Japanese television license.

I could say it's fine to download Gank because it's not available in Europe and very hard to get via import thanks to it being a Geneon title. I don't because it's pathetic to use the countries/regions it is or isn't released in as an excuse that allows you to download anime and still believe you're doing nothing wrong.

CitizenGeek said:
You only buy anime when it suits you, it seems. What you're forgetting is that you are not entitled to anime, regardless of what it costs.

I'm entitled to what any other person with internet access is entitled to. I'm not going to stop myself getting anime for free simply because a section of the anime fanbase think it's wrong to do so. That's the way I am, right or wrong.

Hybridchild said:
Most of the French was done by Jean-Jaques Burrell who done the music for the show but some was done by the Japaneses cast as was the Italian, i cant speak for the French but an Italian friend of mine said the Italian was as near perfect as can be expected from a non native Italian speaker

Well, I'm scarred from listening to Japanese VAs trying to speak different languages, so I'm reluctant to even give Gankutsuou's a chance. Besides, I've checked out the dub (via YouTube) and it seems a-ok for me ^_^

Aion said:
You're ignoring the point. It doesn't matter if the anime is available in Japan, America or Europe if you're truly against people downloading anime and think it's wrong - You don't do it. As I've told you before, you don't live in Japan or pay for a Japanese television license.

No, you're trying to take my perfectly reasonable opinion and warp into being something totally unreasonable to suit your argument. That's what you're doing and that's what you always do when this issue comes up.

I'm not trying to get you to stop illegally downloading anime, even when you can buy them in your own country or watch them on television (as you illustrated with your HDD thread), because I know I'm not going to change your opinion. All I'm saying is that you're really in no position to tell anyone how they should enjoy their anime when you attach no value to the medium at all. And you really should stop flaunting the fact that you use fansubs as if it's ok by making threads like this.

CitizenGeek said:
No, you're trying to take my perfectly reasonable opinion and warp into being something totally unreasonable to suit your argument. That's what you're doing and that's what you always do when this issue comes up.

It would seem you live in a fantasy world where everything you say is correct, regardless of the flawed logic behind it. Ignorance is bliss I suppose...

You say it's wrong to download fansubs, yet you yourself do just that. It's irrelevant if you do or do not stay true to what you say and only download anime that isn't in English - You're still downloading fansubs and you're still stealing anime. I'm not sure if you're trying to annoy me or you truly don't see how laughable your logic is.

CitizenGeek said:
And you really should stop flaunting the fact that you use fansubs as if it's ok by making threads like this.

You honestly know nothing if you think the vast majority of people on this board don't download fansubs and DVD-rips. Sure, there's always a few respectable people who stay well away, but this it the internet and you are living in your own little world to say it's not ok to make threads about anime I've downloaded.

Since (from what I've seen) you live up to the second part of your name, I'll drop this here and let you have the last word. While it was my fault for starting this...conversation, please leave me alone and I'll do you the same courtesy.

Aion said:
You say it's wrong to download fansubs, yet you yourself do just that. It's irrelevant if you do or do not stay true to what you say and only download anime that isn't in English

How is that irrelevant? There's a reason most fansubbers stop subtitling anime once it's been licensed, and that's because it's not ok to DL a series when you can get it legally.

I'll be lectured about anime by someone who attaches no value to the medium, whatsoever (except when stuff is extremely discounted), thanks.

Since (from what I've seen) you live up to the second part of your name,

You're calling me a geek as an insult? Hah! Says he who has a HDD full of anime.

please leave me alone

You start the argument and then you act like a victim.

:lol:

Aion said:
You honestly know nothing if you think the vast majority of people on this board don't download fansubs and DVD-rips. Sure, there's always a few respectable people who stay well away, but this it the internet and you are living in your own little world to say it's not ok to make threads about anime I've downloaded.

I would like to step in here, I don't watch fansubs and I have never downloaded anime. Copyright material is copyright material. Too many people see it as okay to get stuff for free without thinking of the consequences, just look at some of the threads recently Geonon pulling out and ADV having troubles. What happens when no more anime is produced because nobody makes any money from a project to finance the next because nobody is buying just waiting to get it for free. People have to realise you can’t always have something for nothing as sooner or later nothing is what you will have.

Many people on here and eslewhere are as bad as each other wily waving that they have watched the latest episode just aired in Japan and then arguing with someone that has downloaded a ripped off US release. If you want a series that has a English dub from a US release and you can’t wait for the UK release just do what I do buy it, it’s not like you can’t use the same internet you download with to buy stuff with. I am not going to name names but since I registered as a user a couple of months back reading some replies I have noticed a few tozzers that seem to feel free to moan about production values and other parts of shows, when it would appear they seldom purchase anything. The excuse that always seems to be bandied about is that they don’t want to waste their money, come on take a risk I have bought my fair share of duds.

This rant was not aimed at anyone in particular but if you are feeling a prick on conscience maybe it is time to rethink what you are doing before there is no more anime industry.

Back