Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

I think I had a look a UP1 for something before and they charge postage so it maybe pretty much a muchness especialy as the play traders don't charge postage and they 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 at £12.19-£12.43 although I would have to get 4 elsewhere and I would need to get 1 someplace else if I wanted the box. Unlike somethings this does not seem as hard to get hold of, I just tracked down Fafner a few weeks ago there only seemed to be like one place with the boxset in stock and there only seemed like a couple of the other volumes around.

Although this month I have road tax and have been a little careless in my pre-ordering so won't be buying soon, but I will probably be keeping my eye out.

Ouch, postage on top of £75 for a 24 episode series!? No thanks.

It's not impossible to find the individual volumes for around £9-10 + P&P, no. It is, however, impossible to find the series for anything close to cheap, though.

Now that you've helped me figure out that the Vol. 1 art box is in fact the series box, I'm going to get the Vol. 1 art box and collect 'em. :D Thanks for that.

Aion said:
Now that you've helped me figure out that the Vol. 1 art box is in fact the series box, I'm going to get the Vol. 1 art box and collect 'em. :D Thanks for that.

Sometimes it is actaually worth getting the single volumes and artbox as they sometimes have some merch you don't get with the boxset but they are getting a bit lazy nowdays. With this type of boxset you will probably find little difference between the price and buying seperate. :lol:

Just had a look around. DVD Pacific have every volume apart from 2 & 4 in-stock for £9.02 + £2.17 P&P, which isn't too bad. Also, an American seller on Amazon.co.uk has every volume apart from Vol. 5 for £11.50-£12.00 (including P&P), with the same seller selling Vol. 5 for £30.

In a nutshell, collecting the series is a doable task, but it's a very expensive one and well over my usual £4.99 per anime DVD limit. The problem I/we face is that we can't allow DVD Pacific or the Amazon seller to combine and cut down on the postage due to our lovely £18 customs limit. I've also seen stories about the Royal Mail adding on their own £8 handling charge to orders well under £18 recently...some new random rule.

I feel the time to collect the series is now since the DVD's are going to get rarer and rarer. It doesn't seem likely that anyone is going to pick-up the anime in Europe, Geneon going down and the show not getting much of a chance to sell have pretty much ruined that. Then again, knowing my luck, it will be released over here after I spend £70.

I shouldn't really be ordering anything right now - eBay insanity, ADV sales and the odd online store purchase gave me a lovely £400 credit card bill I can't really afford and there's already close to £100 on my next credit card bill. Spending around £70+ on Gankutsuou would not be smart right now, but I feel like the chance will go if I leave it too long.

I came into this thread and went through all kinds of emotions but it seems to have settled down now. I have personal reason for being impassioned by this as I slapped down the full amount and bought this series, blind, when I heard the rumours of Geneon's demise :p

In other words, people talking about ripping off a series I semi-recently paid a lot for is really irritating. But pleasantly it seems to have been sorted out, and a few people here gained a fair bit of respect from this quiet one in the process.

I can confirm that the full box set comes in a nice, non-flimsy box and feels suitably luxurious as a Geneon title. I can also confirm that UP1 are reliable, and if you don't want to pay shipping and know someone who is (or are yourself) in the London area, they attend Expo and LAC and most other British events and will happily bring stock with them for you to collect in person, to dodge any shipping charges. They're well known in the UK fan scene as people who'll bend over backwards to try to help customers and have been around since the old days. I used to buy my VHS imports from them. £21 for two episodes of most TV series before postage, ouch :)

It's a shame when classics disappear like this; fortunately there's still Geneon stock available if you shop around for now. In a few years it will probably be harder, but it will be a long time before it's completely impossible or in the realms of ADV's Sailor Moon or the infamous Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm DVDs.

R

Rui said:
I came into this thread and went through all kinds of emotions but it seems to have settled down now. I have personal reason for being impassioned by this as I slapped down the full amount and bought this series, blind, when I heard the rumours of Geneon's demise :p

In other words, people talking about ripping off a series I semi-recently paid a lot for is really irritating. But pleasantly it seems to have been sorted out, and a few people here gained a fair bit of respect from this quiet one in the process.

I am not normally one for flame wars but I was in a bit of a bad mood and reading some of the thread just touched a raw nerve, all's better now.

I really am going to have to put a list of the Genoen titles I am interested in together soon and check which have not been released in the UK yet and try and get hold of them. It is a bit odd re-watching the trailers when I am re-watching series and thinking damn I should have bought that I wonder if I still can.

Aion £100 is only a bit more than my minimum credit card payment each month, damn addictive personality (really can't go near CCGs like Magic ever again) and anime means my credit card never gets paid off. If I had not already ordered the Blood+ and Negima boxsets this month I really think I would have given Gankutsuou a go as it sounds a lot more interesting than the trailers made out.

To anyone interested, here's a short AMV teaser for the series someone made: Link

It was licensed by Madman Entertainment in Australia, meaning it's still available if you're an Aussie. There's a trailer on their website, but the trailer seems to have a lot of footage that wasn't shown in the series, so it's not the best trailer in the world.

It's a shame no-one has uploaded the CG fight from 18 anywhere - I can't since my episode 18 file is in .MKV format and I know not how do the deed. Spoilers or not, that CG fight is the most awesome thing I've ever witnessed.

After testing the 1st episode and leaving the seller feedback, I just tried watching some more of the episodes on my Gankutsuou Vol. 1 DVD. It crashes/freeezes/distorts after around the 40 minute mark - The DVD must have been badly made. I really can't believe my luck... The DVD is scratchless and I've tried it on 3 different DVD players.

I'm going to give up on my plan to collect the series early by the looks. :(

Aion said:
After testing the 1st episode and leaving the seller feedback, I just tried watching some more of the episodes on my Gankutsuou Vol. 1 DVD. It crashes/freeezes/distorts after around the 40 minute mark - The DVD must have been badly made. I really can't believe my luck... The DVD is scratchless and I've tried it on 3 different DVD players.

I'm going to give up on my plan to collect the series early by the looks. :(
Well thats a shame. Guess there is always hope that it might get released in the UK by someone? If it is at least you will have a nice box to put them in :)

That's a shame, mine's fine so it's certainly not the whole run - sounds like you got a bad one.

It might be worth e-mailing the husk of Geneon and possibly TRSI (as they handled their customer service) to ask for a swap - being deliberately vague about how it got to the UK etc. I know it sounds like a longshot but I once had a screwed up disc of Leave It To Piyoko and I contacted Synch-Point, who are pretty much dead as far as I can tell. But someone did get back to me and eventually they sorted out a disc replacement even though I'm over here and had no receipt.

Just an idea!

R

ThatMan: It's highly doubtful it will, but it would work out well then - I'd be able to get the series for cheap and have a cool looking box to put them into.

The seller is refusing to give a refund because it was sealed on arrival. The law backs him up since he's a private seller and private sellers aren't forced by laws to give refunds when a sealed item has been unsealed. I'll probably open a dispute tomorrow but I doubt I'll get anywhere... I've given him a positive feedback and the law backs him.

I'm currently scanning the DVD with a DVD scan program and have been for hours. It's going at 0.1 speed because everything towards the end of the DVD is bad - There's currently 27% bad. :/

Gankutsuou - Volume 6

Let us hope I'm more lucky this time and get a WORKING copy for cheap. I've asked the seller if he'll accept it back if it's faulty and he said yes...

I'm taking no chances with Vol. 5 since it includes my favourite episode - I've ordered it from DVD Pacific.

I haven't had much luck on eBay recently - First my £32 Tales of Destiny has gone missing, then I spent £10 on a faulty copy of Gankutsuou (Vol. 1) and I've just tested my £6 NTSC copy of FFVIII to discover it freezes during the opening FMV sequence. :|

It would seem I'm not cursed - My copy of volume 6 works perfectly. On a related note, if anyone is interested, the same seller has put another copy up for sale.

Getting the 6th volume for £6.49 has somewhat made up for the bitter blow of receiving a faulty copy of the 1st volume. However, it still means I'm obviously going to have to buy the 1st volume again if I am to collect the series.

If anyone sees volume 1 of Gankutsuou going for cheap anywhere (assuming that person doesn't want it), please let me know. :)

Back