Funimation To Acquire Crunchyroll Anime Streaming Service

No matter what way you look at it it's not good news for UK distributors that aren't called Manga... pickings are slim as is and its only going to get worse.

I don't like Sony and I don't think purchases like this are good for the employees nor the customers. They always consolidate departments and thus make redundancies, this also results in a lowering of quality of standards.

Last edited:
Thats pretty much the only avenue left as they hardly ever go for Sentai releases...

I'd personally love to see AL & MVM merge 😂 theres going to be less and less licenses available to them both as they'll have to compete for whats left.
Granted AL do deals direct with Aniplex but how much longer is that going to last as Sony have Funi, Crunchy, Manga, and Madman locked down. Next stop is direct to the supplier.

Thats pretty much the only avenue left as they hardly ever go for Sentai releases...

I'd personally love to see AL & MVM merge 😂 theres going to be less and less licenses available to them both as they'll have to compete for whats left.
Granted AL do deals direct with Aniplex but how much longer is that going to last as Sony have Funi, Crunchy, Manga, and Madman locked down. Next stop is direct to the supplier.
Sony also own Aniplex, So might be a problem.

Well yeah a name post 2019 aniplex show licensed here.
No FGO yet, no Magica record (though that will go manga sure of that), and ofc film wise no licensing of Demon Slayer Mugen Train which is weird

I was hoping this wouldn't end up happening, mostly because it's also a massive monopoly on the anime streaming services. Which usually means less need to actual improve their apps when they know that people either go to them or just get lost. When you have no major known competition, since Crunchyroll was a big name up there with them, what point do you have to make your product better?

Also as people said with the Manga licenser too, which I heard more recently. Not only have they less incentive to let anyone else distribute their titles, but at the same time they also are likely to not bother licensing titles others might have done because they will have the titles they wish to push and those they care little for. There are plenty of US releases that will never see the light of day anywhere else.

The biggest problem is mangauk doesn't actually release alot of titles.
Especially with the size of there catalogue. That was before funimation got there hands on crunchyroll.
So less choice for everyone.

I've actually purchased more region B titles from funimation in the states this year than mangauk.

If it's slim pickings for new series, maybe AL might try to get more diskotek stuff like Honey & Clover, Kaiba, Twelve Kingdoms etc. Every cloud...

This is a good point. I'm still pretty unhappy about this news overall but I agree that would be welcome, though I already have the Discotek release of The Twelve Kingdoms. But Honey & Clover and Kaiba is a "shut up and take my money" kinda deal for me, honestly Kaiba is still one of my three favourite Masaaki Yuasa works along with Mind Game and Ping Pong, his more recent stuff just doesn't compare, for me.

Back