Funimation set to announce 10 new licenses in December

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=507

Hello and Happy Holidays!
We are feeling quite festive here at FUNimation Entertainment headquarters and to celebrate the rockin' 2008 we've had and in anticipation of the awesome-ness that will be 2009, FUNimation will be counting down to the new year!

Join us online starting on Monday, December 22 as we begin New Show A-Go-Go: A Ten Day Countdown of New Anime for the New Year. We will be making one acquisition announcement each day for the ten days leading up to New Year's Eve. http://www.funimation.com/newshowagogo

From all of the hints collected so far, people have guessed that they may announce the following:

• Vandread
  • Soul Eater
  • Ikkitousen
  • Last Exile
  • Evangelion
  • Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo
  • Oh! Edo Rocket
  • Moyashimon

Some interesting anime on that list. Overjoyed to see that Gankutsuou could make a return, Soul Eater (one of the best shonen fighting anime ever) was inevitable but good news none the less, and things like Oh! Edo Rocket and Moyashimon are a little off-beat but highly regarded.

Probably the new Eva movie, as I imagine ADV would die before letting the TV series out of their paws. Very interesting news though if it's true.

I'd go for that (saw it at the cinema) and Moyashimon (if it's correct), so far.

Most of the rest of the guesses aren't so interesting as I already have most of the Geneon stuff that I am ever likely to want in my collection. If they're true though it's good that new fans - or those who missed the boat - can finally see some of the classics. Gankutsuou in particular is something they need to get out there again.

I hope Ikkitousen is one of them as it might finally nudge MB into getting the followups onto DVD this decade!

R

Gankutsuou when I've just bought it from Oz... well, anyway, I've paid it cheap enough not to regret it.

Eva, last exile and Ikkitousen are on my list. No idea about the rest though.

BlackWolf said:
Conan-san said:
Wot? No Seto No Hanayome or Spice and Wolf?

That's charming, just charming, Funi.

Well to be fair there is only 8 suggestions on that list, so there's still two unknown :p
Plus they are all guesses since no actual announcements have yet been made.

I'll be royally pissed off if any of these are license rescues. There are a ton of awesome unlicensed shows out there that could fill up that list in an instant.

melonpan said:
I'll be royally pissed off if any of these are license rescues. There are a ton of awesome unlicensed shows out there that could fill up that list in an instant.

What? the anime industery doing somthing wrong?

Never thought that.

melonpan said:

This should be a list made up of 10 new licenses unreleased in the west. but I don't think it would be bad to have some license rescues going on as a separate thing. I think Soul Eater and the new Evangelion bits if that's what they will be are the only real things of interest to me.

melonpan said:

tbf though at a time of finincial crisis

would you pay for a licenced already made dub

or pay for the licence, and then the dub?

Rui said:
I hope Ikkitousen is one of them as it might finally nudge MB into getting the followups onto DVD this decade!

R

Is that meaning the prediction is Funi getting Ikkitousen Great Guardians and that MB still have Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny? For some reason I read it as MB transfering/losing the Dragon Destiny rights.

Well, their countdown starts tomorrow. They'll probably announce the Eva movies last if they have them, since, you know, its ******* Eva :p

Still, that and Last Exile are the ones I'll be looking forward too.

Ryo Chan said:
tbf though at a time of finincial crisis
would you pay for a licenced already made dub
or pay for the licence, and then the dub?
And it's fair to assume that the shows in question sold well for Geneon/ADV. License rescues are fine with me because a) I'd be delighted to have a second chance to buy Gankustuou and perhaps others that I might have missed; and b) because it's ridiculous that newer fans don't have access to popular and highly regarded anime on DVD.

I hope that the new Evangelion movie has been picked up by FUNimation. I really do hope they retain the old dub cast, too.

I'd love to see Gankutsuou get a release over here, too :]

Have to agree with Melonpan, would rather see new licenses than repeats of old ones. While it may be more financially beneficial for the companies in the production stage I doubt older titles will pull in as much cash later.

hopeful_monster said:
Have to agree with Melonpan, would rather see new licenses than repeats of old ones. While it may be more financially beneficial for the companies in the production stage I doubt older titles will pull in as much cash later.

i'm sure everyone would

but looking at how Funi rescued the familiar of zero, all they'll do is take unsold dvd's and put them in a nice box and call it a boxset.

so it's not like it will cost them too much anyway

I'd be insanely excited if Moyashimon gets picked up. It's an delightful series, with good characters, animation and an interesting topic. The manga is getting released, and I was surprised with that, so it'd be really cool to own the anime as well.

Paul said:
Soul Eater (one of the best shonen fighting anime ever)
Wow, High praise for Soul Eater. I'm about 20 plus or so episodes behind where the current story is, but its fun to watch. I just find that soon as the episode is over, I forget all about it, and why I like it.

It's nice to know what we might get in, say 2010 - 12, But I'm still waiting for the second season of Ah My Goddess, and the rest of Wallflower to grace our shores again.

Back