Funimation Discontinues Several former Geneon Titles

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
CopyPasta from , via the AoD forums:

Funimation Discontinues Several former Geneon Titles

Funimation just sent over a grocery list of discontinued items, all former Geneon licenses. The following have been discontinued as of December 10th and are now limited to stock on hand:

* Black Lagoon Season 1 & 2 Complete DVD Boxed Set GN-08318
* Ergo Proxy Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Re-Release) GN-08662
* Gungrave Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Thin-Pak) GN-08653
* Hellsing Ultimate (All regular and LE volumes)
* Kamichu Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Thin-Pak) GN-08441
* Karin (Chibi Vampire) Complete DVD Boxed Set GN-08741
* Kyo Kara Maoh Season 1 Complete DVD Boxed Set (Eps #1-39) GN-08665
* Kyo Kara Maoh!, Season 2, Complete DVD Boxed Set (Eps #40-78 ) GN-08664
* Law of Ueki Complete Series Collection DVD Boxed Set (Eps #1-51) GN-08301
* Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD Boxed Set (Eps #1-13) GN-08697
* Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A DVD Boxed Set (Thin-Pak) (Eps #1-13) GN-08557
* Paradise Kiss Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set GN-08692
* Rozen Maiden + Traumend Season 1 & 2 Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set GN-08744
* Shana (Shakugan no Shana) Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Thin-Pak) FN-08355
* Tales of Phantasia DVD GN-08551
* The Familiar of Zero DVD Boxed Set (Eps #1-13) (S.A.V.E. Edition) GN-08695
* Story of Saiunkoku Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set (Thin-Pak) GN-08693
* When They Cry: Higurashi, Complete Collection DVD Boxed Set GN-08743

Some of these will probably be brought back later under Funi's new 'Classics' label, but will likely end up being sold out and unavailable for an extended period of time between when these sell out and any are re-issued.

I'm probably going to have to pick up Hellsing and Nanoha while I can (although you would expect Hellsing to come back as a "Classic", and from what I'm reading I probably won't be able to get Nanoha As anyway), maybe Saiunkoku-monogatari. I'll grab the UK release of Rozen Maiden, everything else I have or don't want.

Fatpack Nanoha and thinpacked A's are thankfuly already in my collection. Should probably get Higurashi soonish by the sound of things.

Still kind of worried as those aren't FUNi licenses, this could be the Geneon ones expiring. Hopefully FUNi wil pick everything back up themselves and reprint.

I hope Funi do a nice re-release for the Hellsing OVA's. Steelbooks again please. IIRC, didn't Manga say they couldn't do a bozset of the OVA due to the japanese not allowing it. I wonder if the same goes for Funi.

Need to get my steelbook for Second Barrage as well pretty soonish.

Maxon said:
Dammit. Guess I'll grab Black Lagoon and Nanoha while I can. I'm surprised at Black Lagoon because I thought that would be a big seller.
These are Geneon USA titles, not FUNi's (they're the distro only).
Geneon USA have already said they're only distroing until the current licences run out. I expect time has come.

Assume someone's going to licence rescue them all, probably FUNi.

I can only back up Reaper's opinion that stuff like Black Lagoon should come back out eventually once (presumably) Funi re-licence it. I couldn't see them being too fussed about every single title on the list, though, especially stuff like Saiunkoku, Zero no Tsukaima, and Higurashi that have unlicenced "sequels".

lol, I've been meaning to watch it for... well, since it started. Don't really know why I haven't, I'm sure I'd love it. But yes, now that I know I can't have it, it does make me want it more. ^^;

A timely reminder that anime titles aren't around forever.

I feel SO thankful that I nabbed Black lagoon and Ergo Proxy when I did. Phew!

I'm curious as to what's meant by the Funimation 'classics' label. Is that in reference to the Viridian or S.A.V.E. series?

'Classics' is a label for things which they aren't just selling off for almost nothing like S.A.V.E./Viridian. It's a bit like a premium version of those lines for rereleases which did ok the first time around and they aren't just dumping to try to recoup a loss (which is how a lot of the S.A.V.E. releases feel...).

I seem to recall Lance (Funimation) mentioning in his ANN Podcast a while back that Classics would be a bunch of shows which qualify as the best their genres offer, but then it was discovered that Dragonaut would be included in the line and nobody took it seriously after that.

R

Thanks for the clarification, Rui.

I was just thinking how Funimation seem to have a fair few imprints. Viridian, S.A.V.E. and now Classics. Wow.

Back