Fruits Basket

Miaka-chan

Stand User
Post your thoughts here on the manga version of Fruits Basket!

Myself, I'm enjoying the manga far more than I ever thought I would and I have volume 10 on order :D

This is of those instances where you don't realise just how much of the story is omitted from the anime, until you actually read the manga and how much better it could have been if the anime had been left unmade for a while!

Volume 17 has just been released in Japan and I'm wondering how much more there will be!

I am only up to volume 5 so far ( been following the UK releases ) , enjoying it a lot and looking forward to seeing what occours past the end of the anime.

I'm only up to volume 5 also (been ordering them from the local bookshop), although I've been considering ordering the next few volumes online (the addiction needs feeding). After watching the anime, I was left with a thirst for more, and the manga is fitting the bill nicely.

I think I might start collecting this manga series as I loved the anime and I am interested in seeing the other members of the sohma family.

i've bought the first two and was really impressed. as soon as i've finished Love Hina i think i'll continue with FB. it's strange to think the story isn't even finished yet really.

My volume 10 arrived this morning, can't wait to read it, it has a really cute Kisa on the front cover. (I'm certainly too impatient to wait for the UK releases :lol: ).
Volume 11 is due out on 9th August and has a cute Hiro on the front cover.
Surely they can't make me wait til December for volume 12 - *sob* :cry: I'm kinda hoping the release date might change!

My brother gave me the first five volumes after he got fed up of me 'borrowing' them all the time. It's an enjoyable change of pace from the anime and I love Takaya's videogames rants that pop up in each chapter.

I read volume 10 yesterday, it was brilliant! You get so much more insight into Akito's true evilness (which is only skimmed over in the anime) and although in the anime he is one of my fave characters, I can't say the same for him in the manga!

Volume 11 is a must, as the little appetizer in the back of vol 10, made it sound incredible - Akito's secret is revealed - ooooh!! Also, the last page of volume 10 is a real "eye-opener", you MUST all read it :D

Miaka-chan said:
I read volume 10 yesterday, it was brilliant! You get so much more insight into Akito's true evilness (which is only skimmed over in the anime) and although in the anime he is one of my fave characters, I can't say the same for him in the manga.

I get the same feeling that Akito will show his true evil side .But what a cliff hanger Yuki confessing to Tohru. I'll say right off the bat i'm a Kyo and Tohru fan, not Yuki Tohru. This manga volume fills in a lot of unanswered questions about Hari and Kana. It also gives you a sneak peek at how one day Hari will love and be at peace again...

Hiro gets once again jealous of Tohru when it comes to Kisa, and Kyo realizes she's not as cheerful so he does his best to make her realize there's nothing wrong with her and Hiro realizes he was wrong. Hiro also promises Kisa one day he'll be the perfect man for her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved vol.10 so much! I though 8 and 9 were slightly dull, but 10 was so great and the ending was such a cliffhanger! -rocks back and forth- when's vol.11 coming out!?

Ps I am a yuki X tohru fan, but Kyo's nice too^_^;

I'm for Tohru x Yuki all the way (how evil would Kagura get if Tohru took Kyo away :twisted: ).

Volume 11 is due out next month and even though the Tokyopop website says November for volume 12, United Publications have their release dates as vol 12 September, and vol 13 October, so I'm hoping UP1 have got it right :D

Hi Everybody im new here
Fruits basket is my favourite manga
im a KyoxTohru fan ive read fruits basket 10 it was nice to see hatori before and after his relationship with kana
is it me or does the uniform that kisa is wearing somthing similar to kagura in vol 5. im glad that we know how yuki really feels about tohru but will akito tell Tohru about kyo's feelings but i wonder what everyone's reaction to akito secret i know what it is but i dont know whether i should tell or not. besides i cant wait to get book 11.

Freya said:
but i wonder what everyone's reaction to akito secret i know what it is but i dont know whether i should tell or not. besides i cant wait to get book 11.
Hi! Freya, you could always use the introductions forum and introduce yourself properly, let us all know what you're into (other than FB!).
Please don't give away any spoilers for Fruits Basket, I'm sure we can all wait until August :wink:

Well, for some reason (although I'm not complaining!) volume 11 was released a few days ago and I read my copy yesterday!
I'm almost in shock, as I can't quite get around what the future (according to Akito) has in store for everyone - especially Kyo! It was wonderful to finally see Rin in her animal form and I have to admit for the first time EVER, I'm actually leaning towards Tohru x Kyo, whereas I've been a fan of Tohru x Yuki from the very start.
I think the wait for volume 12 and so forth, is gonna kill me off :lol:

i thought the manga was leaning towards tohruxkyo although after reading book 11 it starting towards tohruxyuki it keep on swithching between the two which is starting to confuse me.

I love the Fruits Basket manga, especially since it continues where the anime left off. Tohru is still so terribly cute!

I wouldn't be suprised if the manga ends openly with TohruxKyo and TohruxYuki as opposed to ending with one or the other, so we'll argue for eternity over who Tohru ends up with after the ending.

In which volume can the Manga be said to continue on from the end of the Anime? I'm interested in checking the anime out, but on a tight budget, i'd rather leap over the chunks of story that i'll already mostly know. (and then I can get the earlier volumes later)

kupoartist said:
In which volume can the Manga be said to continue on from the end of the Anime? I'm interested in checking the anime out, but on a tight budget, i'd rather leap over the chunks of story that i'll already mostly know. (and then I can get the earlier volumes later)
I'd say you could skip the first 5 or 6 volumes, but there are people missing from the anime, so you don't want to skip much more than that. Although to be honest, you'd be better off just starting from scratch at volume 1 and buying the rest slowly :D

With Yuki/Kyo I could never see how Tohru could possibly choose either one - making the other one sad wouldn't be like Tohru at all. So I don't think that'll be resolved at the end. There's a picture with her hand-in-hand with the two of them that I saw somewhere, I think that's how it will be.

Ramadahl said:
With Yuki/Kyo I could never see how Tohru could possibly choose either one - making the other one sad wouldn't be like Tohru at all. So I don't think that'll be resolved at the end. There's a picture with her hand-in-hand with the two of them that I saw somewhere, I think that's how it will be.
What is needed is a fourth person, someone who can make Yuki or Kyo equally happy as Tohru can. I can only speak for the anime, but I always thought that Uo-chan and Kyo would be a nice couple, even though I cannot remember a single time when they actually said anything nice to each other! One of Tohru's friends would be ideal of course - someone who can understand Tohru's amazing qualities as well as each of the boys would never get jealous of the special place she undoubtably occupies inside their hearts.

Back