French editions to be published

There is no unboxing yet. BUT like all edition fr Kyoto animation, the compression is poorly managed so there is colorbanding: - / (not like Re: Zero ;-D)
Want to start an unboxing blog? I'd be following it, lol. It's sometimes reaaaally hard to find some info on French releases. (Or I'm looking wrong, obviously.)

There are two "labomen" versions.
Oh my, this sounds like some weird release history, to be sure. Manga-news only lists two versions of the box, so I'd assumed one was the Labomem one and one was not. x.x"

Unboxing is about the first one, which is only VOSTFR and does not have a digipack, but it's out of stock for a while
I think if I got the first one, which apperarantly was more expensive than the ones coming after (?) from what I found when I was digging around, it would probably feel like a gutpunch, huh...

A second Labomen version is available, with this time the VF and the VOSTFR, digipack and the same bonuses as the first version : 2 artbook + the pin's which is not available on Anime-store. Available on the website of Dybex and Amazon marketplace (Dybex)
Can't really find it on Amazon, but it's probably France-only shipping anyway. =/

And a third version, the "Anime-store" version Available on ANime-store obviously! This version is smaller, it has no pins, and the artbook of the movie is not there. There is only 1 artbook
Do you have any info on how it looks like inside? Like is it an Amaray in that first Labomem version or a digipack as the second? (hopefully the first, or my frankensteining plan just died completely...)
How thick was the TV artbook in the Labomem version? That defunct Anime store listing says it was 2x ~90p artbook. Did the current normal version's artbook get a bit bigger, but lost the second artbook?
How is the second artbook like? Is is the same stuff as the Japanese limited edition is like, or is that material Dybex specifically sourced themselves? (The TV artbook kinda looks like it.)
If it's not, I guess not much lost there. Don't like the movie too much and I'm having the JP movie LE on my searchlist, anyway, because of one of the drama CDs.

Note: episode 23 beta is not included in all these versions
Yeah, I heard of it, but I think it was out inFrance before that special box with the episode was even out in Japan, so doesn't surprise me. Who knows, perhaps it'll get added to some Steins;Gate 0 release. (Even if it wouldn't really fit since it still has the old great series direction and S;G 0's is rather underwhelming.)

View attachment 6808

The "Anime-store" version of S;G has the same size than Spice and Wolf or Sakura, Death Note ect
Hm, I have none of those, so no idea... Is there any insight out, how it looks like inside for the discs? (Amaray pieces, unboxing, are the chipboxes like the Labomem version?) =X
... (I have the labomen v2 of S;G)
I made an unbonxing here, but in french :-/ you can see the photos :

https://nippon-actu.fr/mangatoon/anime/steinsgate-edition-labomen-vfvo
Ah, so that was you blog! Had been browsing though it before already, lol.

Ah! I understand better what you're talking about ;-)! Yes, these series are very well known in France. But do you say that French collectors likewise think of Anime Limited UK, especially for Eureka seven in Bluray for example ;-)

but actually it's a shame, maybe it represents a financial supplement consequent?
That's an... interesting phrase. Something didn't translate quite right there I think, though I believe I get your meaning. I think the main reason the UK doesn't get these older shows is that sales would be so low they wouldn't offset the costs of licensing them for distribution here. They aren't well known or popular. France had a lot more anime on TV in the '80s and '90s, long before the UK ever did, so like you say there's nostalgia in France for these shows that simply doesn't exist in the UK.

Interesting about Eureka 7. Do we know if AL/@A have the licence for France?

Want to start an unboxing blog? I'd be following it, lol. It's sometimes reaaaally hard to find some info on French releases. (Or I'm looking wrong, obviously.)

I'm already doing unboxing on the Nippon-actu site, but in French

Oh my, this sounds like some weird release history, to be sure. Manga-news only lists two versions of the box, so I'd assumed one was the Labomem one and one was not. x.x"

This is not the first time an edition with vostfr, then with vf, then another with vf x)

Do not trust Manga-news too much

I think if I got the first one, which apperarantly was more expensive than the ones coming after (?) from what I found when I was digging around, it would probably feel like a gutpunch, huh...

yes it is a mess not possible because in addition there is no communication

Can't really find it on Amazon, but it's probably France-only shipping anyway. =/

The labomen vf and Vostfr :

https://www.amazon.fr/Steins-Gate-C...merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1548434582&sr=1-29

it is shipped by amazon

Do you have any info on how it looks like inside? Like is it an Amaray in that first Labomem version or a digipack as the second? (hopefully the first, or my frankensteining plan just died completely...)
How thick was the TV artbook in the Labomem version? That defunct Anime store listing says it was 2x ~90p artbook. Did the current normal version's artbook get a bit bigger, but lost the second artbook?
How is the second artbook like? Is is the same stuff as the Japanese limited edition is like, or is that material Dybex specifically sourced themselves? (The TV artbook kinda looks like it.)
If it's not, I guess not much lost there. Don't like the movie too much and I'm having the JP movie LE on my searchlist, anyway, because of one of the drama CDs.

in the first version of labomen (which is no longer available), is in amaray.

The new Labomen version with VF and the Anime store version, are in Digipack

You will be disappointed the artbook available in the IDP edition, contains only images ... And chara design are aliased

In the second artbook (movie) in the edition labomen 2, there are in the artbook interviews (of the TV serie ans movie) and pictures ...

but the IDP version is much cheaper: 40 euros instead of 70 euros

Yeah, I heard of it, but I think it was out inFrance before that special box with the episode was even out in Japan, so doesn't surprise me. Who knows, perhaps it'll get added to some Steins;Gate 0 release. (Even if it wouldn't really fit since it still has the old great series direction and S;G 0's is rather underwhelming.)

The release was late (as usual), and if he had still waited for the special episode, the fans would have been angry. Anyway they are still angry x)

That's an... interesting phrase. Something didn't translate quite right there I think, though I believe I get your meaning. I think the main reason the UK doesn't get these older shows is that sales would be so low they wouldn't offset the costs of licensing them for distribution here. They aren't well known or popular. France had a lot more anime on TV in the '80s and '90s, long before the UK ever did, so like you say there's nostalgia in France for these shows that simply doesn't exist in the UK.

Intéressant à propos d'Eureka 7. Savons-nous si AL / @ A détient la licence pour la France? [/ QUOTE]

Absolutely !

The @anime fr's answer is fuzzy : "it is not in our priorities"
...but Ata fr offers titles like Fate UBW, Free, Mob, etc ... that are not in the UK branch

Hm, I have none of those, so no idea... Is there any insight out, how it looks like inside for the discs? (Amaray pieces, unboxing, are the chipboxes like the Labomem version?) =X

For the IDP version, it's exactely the same contain than the Labomen 2, so Digipack, the same disc, the same contain on the disc etc ... just you will not have te second artbook and the pin's.

you have an unboxing of the IDP-Anime-store version from Vicklatereur here :

Ah, so that was you blog! Had been browsing though it before already, lol.

It's not my blog, but i post on it, a lot of unboxing like Code Geass, My Hero academia, FMAB, Haruhi complete edition Fr etc ...

I'm already doing unboxing on the Nippon-actu site, but in French
Is there some way to filter those unboxings out? (Or is there some French word for unboxing?) Every so scarece French unboxing I come by, doesn't seem to use any keyword that's googleable.

This is not the first time an edition with vostfr, then with vf, then another with vf x)
Yes, but usually manga-news showed them... x.x
Do not trust Manga-news too much
Is there some realiable alternative?

As expected, France only. >_>"
Do you happen to know some good forum where you can buy French stuff like the marketplace here for UK stuff? Perhaps somebody has the first version to toss out of real cheap? =D

The new Labomen version with VF and the Anime store version, are in Digipack
Just remembered I had seen that review a while back that has very brief images of the contents
(completely slipped my mind because I got stuck over the US-/F banding comparison part of the review and it making no diffrence to my eyes in the YT video, but apparantely that's because of the YT video.)
If that's digipack, does that mean, the Kurisu and Suzuha parts are just folded digipacks, no extra chipboxes like with the the first edition from the imgur gallery? (Which chioboxes I could take them out and put them normally into the shelf...)
Are those digipacks having BD height or DVD height? Given the ratio it kinda looks like BD size?

You will be disappointed the artbook available in the IDP edition, contains only images ... And chara design are aliased
Given that the movie is apparantly packed in with no cover sleeve that actually appears like the much bigger joke to me... But yea, the alias is kinda disappointing. But if the art gallery is intact I guess that's fine. I'm mostly after the key illustrations artwork.

In the second artbook (movie) in the edition labomen 2, there are in the artbook interviews (of the TV serie ans movie) and pictures ...
Damn it, wish there was some video unboxing of somebody quickly browsing through it. Then I'd be able to see, if I'm actually interested enough...

The release was late (as usual), and if he had still waited for the special episode, the fans would have been angry. Anyway they are still angry x)
Germany's was pretty late to be released, too, also no beta episode. (Also Germany's release's chipbox ... feels like a joke.)
S;G doesn't seem to be from Aniplex, if that were the case, it would surely have meant, that Aniplex of America would re-release the show once Funi's license expires as they did with FMA and Black Butler. (And given their product quality it may have been the best version out there then...)
Seems like video vide the Japanese complete boxes are the only ones really complete (with beta and the IBM ads), but the Standard is just a big amaray case (at 150€) and the LE's packaging design is a bit... bland (though it does have a thick book, that given by yahoo auction images has bits of storyboard pages and character designs.) But yeah 500€ before shipping and import fees. x.x"

*after digging around japanese sites for too long and forgetting to post*

For the IDP version, it's exactely the same contain than the Labomen 2, so Digipack, the same disc, the same contain on the disc etc ... just you will not have te second artbook and the pin's.

you have an unboxing of the IDP-Anime-store version from Vicklatereur here :
Haha, got to the same video....
It's probably really just two digipacks with no chipboxes, is it?
Damn, digipack combos are really bad for ditching the DVD half duplicates, too. x.x"

I guess I will remain by my stance. Those A4 boxes are a total design fail in terms of ergonomics. Not even frankensteining can save it all that much. >_>"

Is there some way to filter those unboxings out? (Or is there some French word for unboxing?) Every so scarece French unboxing I come by, doesn't seem to use any keyword that's googleable.

in the anime tab, a priori they are mostly unboxing and the word that comes up often is "integrale" like this : Tales of Zestiria the X Intégrale Blu-ray

Yes, but usually manga-news showed them... x.x
Is there some realiable alternative?

Do you happen to know some good forum where you can buy French stuff like the marketplace here for UK stuff? Perhaps somebody has the first version to toss out of real cheap? =D

ebay? but it's often risky.

Unfortunately, I do not know at all ;-((((

Just remembered I had seen that review a while back that has very brief images of the contents
(completely slipped my mind because I got stuck over the US-/F banding comparison part of the review and it making no diffrence to my eyes in the YT video, but apparantely that's because of the YT video.)
If that's digipack, does that mean, the Kurisu and Suzuha parts are just folded digipacks, no extra chipboxes like with the the first edition from the imgur gallery? (Which chioboxes I could take them out and put them normally into the shelf...)
Are those digipacks having BD height or DVD height? Given the ratio it kinda looks like BD size?

too many questions X)

There was a dithering step, because the master video is horrible ...

Yes it is digipack and they don't have extra chipboxes ... i think this is the BD size for the digipack

Given that the movie is apparantly packed in with no cover sleeve that actually appears like the much bigger joke to me... But yea, the alias is kinda disappointing. But if the art gallery is intact I guess that's fine. I'm mostly after the key illustrations artwork.

it's just a forgetting for the film's cover, Just ask him by mail and he sends it to you. It was a mistake at the factory

Damn it, wish there was some video unboxing of somebody quickly browsing through it. Then I'd be able to see, if I'm actually interested enough...

tomorrow I will take another photo

Germany's was pretty late to be released, too, also no beta episode. (Also Germany's release's chipbox ... feels like a joke.)
S;G doesn't seem to be from Aniplex, if that were the case, it would surely have meant, that Aniplex of America would re-release the show once Funi's license expires as they did with FMA and Black Butler. (And given their product quality it may have been the best version out there then...)
Seems like video vide the Japanese complete boxes are the only ones really complete (with beta and the IBM ads), but the Standard is just a big amaray case (at 150€) and the LE's packaging design is a bit... bland (though it does have a thick book, that given by yahoo auction images has bits of storyboard pages and character designs.) But yeah 500€ before shipping and import fees. x.x"

*after digging around japanese sites for too long and forgetting to post*

it is on that between 150 euros and 40 euros there is a difference x)

in the anime tab, a priori they are mostly unboxing and the word that comes up often is "integrale" like this : Tales of Zestiria the X Intégrale Blu-ray
If it weren't for that moronic size (and coming after the US edition) I may have gone for that one. The price is pretty low given it's 2 seasons of a fairly recent show.

ebay? but it's often risky.
Somehow I don't even see a lot of people listing stuff von ebay.fr. Is ebay not the big thing in France or is the used market just not so big? (priceminister hast some, but again, most is France only. >_>)

Unfortunately, I do not know at all ;-((((
You mean the question about the forum?

There was a dithering step, because the master video is horrible ...
Some other user here has mentioned that the French (and Italian) version was a huge improvement to the Japanese first release and and the US masters, which are full of banding. I had seen that review video then and was puzzled, because I see no diffrence at all at the example images. (which didn't quite match up with what was being said in the video about the French being better.) But apparantly, that's because the review video is a yt video that is compressed itself.

Yes it is digipack and they don't have extra chipboxes ... i think this is the BD size for the digipack
Dang it. Was really hoping for chipboxes. (Could have used the DVD height chipbox to house my Funi Part 1-2 sets, as their slipcovers are from the early DVD size-era.)
Well, I guess my frankensteining plan just went to the trash bin. .___.

it's just a forgetting for the film's cover, Just ask him by mail and he sends it to you. It was a mistake at the factory
Who would be "him"? The seller (anime-store if I buy from them)? Dybex?
I've had my troules with anime-store.... I write an email, they reply, I should phone them and I write them back that my oral French is unintelligable (and foreign phone calls very expensive) and then nothing happens. I also have an production error with the harcover artbook of the Sword Art Online set, which stayed just like that, because after three tries I didn't really wanted to bother anymore...

tomorrow I will take another photo
Merci beaucoup~

it is on that between 150 euros and 40 euros there is a difference x)
Well, the German volumes are actually more expensive than that 150€ one. (And have no book.) Japanese one seems to have the best video content, but according to amazon JP no subs, no dubs. (The English one is very good, dunno about the French one yet. So it wouldn't be replacing the editions.)

Who would be "him"? The seller (anime-store if I buy from them)? Dybex?
I've had my troules with anime-store.... I write an email, they reply, I should phone them and I write them back that my oral French is unintelligable (and foreign phone calls very expensive) and then nothing happens. I also have an production error with the harcover artbook of the Sword Art Online set, which stayed just like that, because after three tries I didn't really wanted to bother anymore...[/ QUOTE]

Sorry x), it is Anime-store, and yes you can write them back with an e-mail. Anime-store or Dybex, as you wish !

Wait, you French folks complained about having the Saphir Edition, because it was too cheap?
(Because you prefer those A4 thingies? Really? oo)
I hope it's just me misunderstanding, but if it's not, I must wonder about French shelf storage ergonomics. *cough*.
French people complain about everything.
"saphir is too cheap" "there's a blue line on top im not buying it" etc.
The sales were too small for justifying budget releases like those. So then they made collector A5 sized boxset, nobody bought them (literally). Now they switched to A4 and it does okay. I think the A4 set are great. Somebody has to tell me what's the point of a tiny ridiculous A5 sized artbook in which you can't see **** (and the images are scalled to allow nice margin and all, so you cannot see anything in the end and you just notice the artifacts of the printer rather).

Yeah why are they speeding up BDs?
No clue, Kana has two production pipeline, one is in partnership with IDP while the other is handled by them. I'm guessing Boruto is them messing up because that's not something IDP would do (and has ever done?).

Are all of those version actually accurately A4? Some seem to have something close to it, but not quite exactly judging from unboxing images.
There are two sizes commonly found. Let's just call them "Dybex format" and "IDP format". The first's size allows for A4 sized sheet to perfectly fit. IDP's solution is slightly more compact and smaller. While Dybex opt for truly-sized A4 artbook, IDP size them so the digipaks fit the box and they have little to no space to move around. IDP format is used on Black Box, Kana releases as well as some Dybex reprints…

Kaze Germany used to be ADV and Karate France used to be Kaze. Then Viz (I think it was) bought both of them up and since Kaze was supposedly the more spread brand name ADV went to be Kaze, too.
So there are connections and they do collaborations, but they are generally independent from each other.
Excuse me what? Before Kaze Germany there was a company called AV Visionnen, which was called before that Anime Virtual? They have nothing to do with ADV. While ADV did have an attempt at the German market, they didn't last long (it was more about them selling some of their titles that they didn't sublicense to other publishers rather than seriously entering the market).

(…)
Which, after some research seems to be the non-Labomen version, as the Labomem version has a digipack not Amarays inside. (Like so: Steins;Gate édition Labomen VF/VO! ) Am I completely off? What's the second artbook book you mean?
(…)
Long story short, there's the Dybex subbed, Dybex VO/VF and IDP edition of Steins;Gate. The ones from Dybex have the two artbooks (I highly recommend that edition to whoever speak French and likes Steins;Gate, it's really great). The IDP edition takes only the first book and lacks the second one (and so half of the art). The Dybex subbed version is long OOP.
As a side note, the subbed version was on 4 blu-ray while IDP authoring is on three (it's the one that was reviewed and reported as great by ViC and they reused the previous authoring to make theirs, usually IDP authors things right).

That's because there's some distributors that respects the japanese contracts which state that one publisher cannot sell their release outside of a given region. I guess it'll bother people more than anything but it still shows that there are pros and others.
Considered looking on sites like fnac.fr by the way?

Kinda interested what titles, I see two unless Hot Manga is an imprint of IDP
Sneak peak. All those releases include english subtitles by the way. I think IDP planned to sell them all around Europe but failed to set up a proper distribution network (it's kind of difficult selling those heh)

Last edited:
French people complain about everything.
"saphir is too cheap" "there's a blue line on top im not buying it" etc.
It's usually rare to see people complain about something being too cheap. I saw a lot of complaints over AL France being way to expensive, but it's interesting people this the other way round, too.

So then they made collector A5 sized boxset, nobody bought them (literally).
Do you mean like the first release form Swort Art Online? I agree, that the artbook is kind of not so great, but they also squeezed a lot design content onto one place, so it's even more small.
I wasn't aware that the A5 combos that came after also had a book. (The preview images only showed artcards) But now that I actually read the text it's indeed having an artbook, too. oo
But probably I would have stopped with SAO anyway, because I don't like Combo Digipacks. (Not that that has changed with the A4s as it seems....)

Now they switched to A4 and it does okay. I think the A4 set are great. Somebody has to tell me what's the point of a tiny ridiculous A5 sized artbook in which you can't see **** (and the images are scalled to allow nice margin and all, so you cannot see anything in the end and you just notice the artifacts of the printer rather).
In terms of ergonomics I guess what Vicklatereur says in the Steins Gate movie pretty much applies to me too and is about the main reason I refrained from buying A4s so far. (The first A4 release of Monogatari did tempt me a lot though.)
I think it's ok, if you don't squeeze to much on one page, the Japanese BD release books aren't all that much different either. If it's having a lot of art I guess I still prefer it like how AL UK did it with FMA's UE. You can take the BDs and put them normally in the shelf and the Artbook can be stored seperately with your artbook colelction. The Korean Hyouka is like that too, there is this big box, you can take the BDs out and place them normally in the shelf, because their digipack have their own riding chipbox.
I also htink AL's UE sizing is really unhandy, but there you usually can put the digipack/amaray out and normally in the shelf. .... Though perhaps it's just a matter of quantity, if everything's uniformaly bigger, I guess it doesn't stick out as much as a sore thumb as the weird sized to for me now.

No clue, Kana has two production pipeline, one is in partnership with IDP while the other is handled by them. I'm guessing Boruto is them messing up because that's not something IDP would do (and has ever done?).
Are they known to repair things in re-releases? Given how Naruto went, there probably will be some boxes at some point.

There are two sizes commonly found. Let's just call them "Dybex format" and "IDP format". The first's size allows for A4 sized sheet to perfectly fit. IDP's solution is slightly more compact and smaller. While Dybex opt for truly-sized A4 artbook, IDP size them so the digipaks fit the box and they have little to no space to move around. IDP format is used on Black Box, Kana releases as well as some Dybex reprints…
Just took another look at that Monogatari A4 release, does that Dybex format then just always use DVD sized cases, to make it move less and IDP adjusts it to the Blu-ray sizes?

Incidentially, what was that with the Monogatari releases? They do the A4 combo, then there is Saphir and Gold and then they put those DVD-sized combos out, so the only ones getting it in uniform size are the DVD collector's? Did the Gold DVD sold that much ahead of the others? Or is that that you can just pull out the A4 combo's slimpack DVD cases and put them next to the others?
Or did they just scrap that A4 size, because it was the first (I think) they did and failed with it? (Seems like the newer A4s tend to be all digipacks.)

Excuse me what? Before Kaze Germany there was a company called AV Visionnen, which was called before that Anime Virtual? They have nothing to do with ADV. While ADV did have an attempt at the German market, they didn't last long (it was more about them selling some of their titles that they didn't sublicense to other publishers rather than seriously entering the market).
My bad, remembered the company name wrong (all of them starting with A...) Cheers for the correction.

Long story short, there's the Dybex subbed, Dybex VO/VF and IDP edition of Steins;Gate. The ones from Dybex have the two artbooks (I highly recommend that edition to whoever speak French and likes Steins;Gate, it's really great). The IDP edition takes only the first book and lacks the second one (and so half of the art). The Dybex subbed version is long OOP.
As a side note, the subbed version was on 4 blu-ray while IDP authoring is on three (it's the one that was reviewed and reported as great by ViC and they reused the previous authoring to make theirs, usually IDP authors things right).
So the authoring of the sub-only release might not be as good as the other one as stated in the review?

Is it known if the two book's material is somewhat exclusive? The Japanese anniverary LE seems to also have a big book, wonder if most of the contet may just match. (Probably not, as it has storyboard excerpts.)
btw, is that illustration that the first Japanese series box and the French Gold Box have as a cover in those books, too? Kind of like that image.

That's because there's some distributors that respects the japanese contracts which state that one publisher cannot sell their release outside of a given region. I guess it'll bother people more than anything but it still shows that there are pros and others.
Well, if the publisher sells the product to a retailer that retailer isn't bound to the contract, so it can still be imported without any breach of contact on any side. But that box seems to be somewhat exclusive to Dybex selling it, cases like these do get a bit troublesome. =/

Considered looking on sites like fnac.fr by the way?
I did, but only found this: Steins Gate L'intégrale de la série TV + Film Coffret Collector Combo DVD + Blu-ray - Blu-ray - Achat & prix | fnac
Which until now looked to me completely the same as the one anime store had and given the price I didn't pay anymore attention to it.

Momox also as one as I just discovered
Steins;Gate - Intégrale + Film - Edition Collector Limitée [Blu-ray] + DVD von unbekannt
But that also looks very much the same as the Anime-store one.
(Dunno, if there might be some betting on that they just mislabeled a labomen edition as the outer box really looks very much the same, but since they have you enter the EAN when you sell them stuff, I guess probably not.)

Priceminister seems to has the same one from anime-store (?)
https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/off...tor-coffret-dvd-blu-ray-de-5pb-nitroplus.html

the first one
https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/off...ollector-blu-ray-dvd-de-hiroshi-hamasaki.html
Well, perhaps I could try bugging that seller to somehow sell that to me, looks like a private person. No dub would be too bad, but at least I'd have the books...
What's the chance of the a more compact re-release later on, if I'd wanted to just add the discs with dubs to it? (Getting this and the anime store one feels like overkill, because I'm pretty sure I will be incapable of just throwing the anime store box away and then it just eats away space...)

ebay only seems to have the anime store ones with no sleeve of the movie.

Aaah, dang it, all of that is so seriously confusing and misleading to the casual buyer (as I'm even sure where I should have gotten all that info from), whatever was Dybex thinking with that...
Well anyhow, there goes my plan of using my last anime store points up, get S;G and call it quits with French importing for a while until they release more stuff I want to warrant the shipping costs. Well, better to know now before ordering and get to know after the fact. So cheers to the both of you @mangatoon and @SpaceDandy for all that info~
Now I have to quickly find something else (any recommendations?) to use those points on and see how to get the proper S;G version instead. @_@

Oh, actually! Is there something like "delivery to package shop (or post office) for fetch up" in France? Or rather, does Dybex offer it? Anime-store seemed to have that for a while, but seemed they stopped offering it (now they have UPS Access Point instead, that's probably fine for fetching, too?)
I live some 155km away from Strasbourg, I probably could actually go there by bicycle once spring comes by.

(Also funny, visiting Dybex Store makes my anti-virus programm block it. Niiice.)[/quote][/QUOTE]

So the authoring of the sub-only release might not be as good as the other one as stated in the review?

Is it known if the two book's material is somewhat exclusive? The Japanese anniverary LE seems to also have a big book, wonder if most of the contet may just match. (Probably not, as it has storyboard excerpts.)
btw, is that illustration that the first Japanese series box and the French Gold Box have as a cover in those books, too? Kind of like that image.
That's the reverse, the subbed only release gets the best encode as it has got four BD50 (which are all almost full). The series was then reencoded by IDP authorer and it's still very good, way above the Japanese release that has all that terrible bending.
As for the artwork you're referring to, no clue. I need to check it. Dybex booklets covers the series and the movie by the way.

Monogatari; that's the same as S;G. There are three edition pretty much.
There's the subbed only release which was a DVD-BD combo. Discs were in two "old-large" dvd packs in thin cardboard housing.
There's then two reprints (VO/VF) that have the IDP boxsets in them. One contain the saphir releases, the other contains the gold releases.

While the encoding is good, I wouldn't recommend that release. You should go for just the saphir release rather.

And no there's no rule regarding what kind of dvd or blu-ray case Dybex use. It can be either sole digipak, digipak with housing or DVD-BD with housing. It's usually written what they are using for eah boxset.
The Steins;Gate subbed release had both (dvd had a dvd-sized housing box and blu-ray had a blu-ray sized one). Some people dislike it as it lets the box moves slightly more but as long you don't play maraca with those set they'll age just fine.

--
A4 thing: well, nobody has a space where they're storing vinyls, special editions of comics, blu-ray, etc.? Because it fits perfectly next to them.
The space argument is kind of weird because then I see people using Ikea Billy to store their anime and there's plenty of empty space everywhere.

--
What you're looking for is a forward service. I don't know if there's any to be honest. It's too expensive from my place to do it, you should ask the other french or belgian forumers if they're willing to help you.

Last edited:

Absolutely ! (it's still confused because of the lack of communication by Dybex)

later in the day I'll post, the little video that quickly shows what's in the artbook. Sorry in advance, for the brightness

Last edited:
That's the reverse, the subbed only release gets the best encode as it has got four BD50 (which are all almost full). The series was then reencoded by IDP authorer and it's still very good, way above the Japanese release that has all that terrible bending.
As for the artwork you're referring to, no clue. I need to check it. Dybex booklets covers the series and the movie by the way.
Oh! Ok, so it's definitely better? (As to my knowledge more discs doesn't necessarily mean it's better, because it depends more to the video editor's/compressionists's skills.)

While the encoding is good, I wouldn't recommend that release. You should go for just the saphir release rather.
Alsready have the Saphirs~ Got Bakemono even twice after I found it it actually had VF, which I only learned after somebody said that the subsequent releases did not have VF unlike that one.
I was also ready to jump onto the other releases, until I heard they were DVD sized... .___."

And no there's no rule regarding what kind of dvd or blu-ray case Dybex use. It can be either sole digipak, digipak with housing or DVD-BD with housing. It's usually written what they are using for eah boxset.
So completely arbitrary....
For many things the product preview images show what in, just they didn't do that for S;G.

The Steins;Gate subbed release had both (dvd had a dvd-sized housing box and blu-ray had a blu-ray sized one). Some people dislike it as it lets the box moves slightly more but as long you don't play maraca with those set they'll age just fine.
Yeah, moving isn't really great for postage transportation, but once it's safely there, it's no big deal. (I coudl always stuff something inbetween, too.) But apparantly it was only sold at an expo (?) so I guess there never was intended to survive postal services all that much,

A4 thing: well, nobody has a space where they're storing vinyls, special editions of comics, blu-ray, etc.? Because it fits perfectly next to them.
The space argument is kind of weird because then I see people using Ikea Billy to store their anime and there's plenty of empty space everywhere.
I think it's more the question of how much quantity you have of one size. If you just have one or two of those sizes it sticks out rather weird. I still only have Terror in Resonance UE from AL, that's staying permanently in my collection and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I could probably put it next to my artbooks, but those books want to tumble over all the time (it's as if they are slightly crooked, when they are not) or have some strong static pressure, which I don't feel too comfortable of subjecting a simple anime cardbox/chipbox to it. (NISA's A4s like Natsume's Book of Friends kind of felt ok, though, since it's even more sturdy than your usual chipbox and there really isn't much free space left to be squeezes together.)
But I have moved on to put my anime in staple boxes (moving and another move in the soonish future sure makes that more attractive) and I just found the perfect staple boxes for BD-height releases. Everything else now goes into big boxes and I start doing some 3D puzzling with it.

But aside from the storage factor, I can't picture myself liking A4 digipacks, I already don't like digipacks when they have more than 3 faces/panels attached to each other. It forces me to put the thing down on a table to be able to remove the disc, instead of, like, taking it up to the player and get the disc out free-hand (one hand holding the digipack, the other taking it out), without your one hand's grip on it feeling it like it will slip out and fall to the ground.

What you're looking for is a forward service. I don't know if there's any to be honest. It's too expensive from my place to do it, you should ask the other french or belgian forumers if they're willing to help you.
I know, I even used to know somebody who was studying in France and that was cool, because that was right at the time when there was a lot to shop. (2012-2013.)
There aren't many official forwarders and most don't really warrant the costs. Last time I wound up to just bulk buy some stuff, have it delivered to a hostel and combine it with a trip to Paris. (Only to find out the Japanese Book Off had closed just a few month before my trip. ;_; ) After that I was mostly just fine with those shops that do sell to Germany for the Manga and occasional Anime I wanted.
Well, until now I guess...

Oh btw. speaking of BD quality - Is the BD release of Last Exile any good? Seems to be the only one around for Season 1 aside the Japanese box.

Absolutely ! (it's still confused because of the lack of communication by Dybex)
If even the French are confused themselves I guess I don't need to feel too stupid anymore, lol.

later in the day I'll post, the little video that quickly shows what's in the artbook. Sorry in advance, for the brightness
Merci beaucoup~

A4 digipaks? Where do you see this? I don't remember any. The digipaks used in those boxset are always either DVD or BD format sized.

Last Exile was also released on Blu-Ray in Germany by Nipponart.
It's an upscale but I suppose the french release is good (as in the upscale category: on par with the Japanese release) as it is authored by IDP.

By the way, there's a sleeve with the movie, you just need to ask them to send it to you if you find a boxset without it. Otherwise it should be included in all orders thar they handle (they are literally on all the sales platforms).

Last edited:
A4 digipaks? Where do you see this? I don't remember any. The digipaks used in those boxset are always either DVD or BD format sized.
The image so Zestiria kind of look like it:
Tales of Zestiria the X - Intégrale (2 Saisons + OAV) - Coffret Bluray - Kana Home Video - Série TV - Bandai Namco Games - Anime-Store.fr
Tales of Zestiria the X Intégrale Blu-ray

Oh, never noticed. Thanks for the hint. oo

It's an upscale but I suppose the french release is good (as in the upscale category: on par with the Japanese release) as it is authored by IDP.
Good to know then. Thanks~

By the way, there's a sleeve with the movie, you just need to ask them to send it to you if you find a boxset without it. Otherwise it should be included in all orders thar they handle (they are literally on all the sales platforms).
mangatoon already mentioned it before here, too. But I've had a history with anime-store communicating with them. First I had ordered some stuff with co-orderes (that ended up in some really big bulk orders). Once they just send stuff, which was ordered more than once just once and I had to put in a claim about the missing items. (They sent me the rest with no much comment.) A whole lot of other orders from them arrived with some pretty badly damaged items (and one box had a slight production error). Like almost all orders had a handful of boxes crushed the first half dozes of orders or so and I kept mailing them about them. (In some cases I told them to please do something about the packaging, as some were of minor damages I could live with, but still aren't too nice and only happened, because they put the heavy one on top of the package and the smaller less sturdy ones to the buttom. I guess that part didn't come through well.) They just sent me a replacement with no comment a couple of times, even when I wasn't really expecting to, but then I guess I started to look like a fraudster. At some point they literally just wrote back that I should phone them, I tell them, my spoken French is pretty unintelligable (and foreign phone calls are expensive), and they just didn't answer anymore. I then happened to find somebody from France at myanimelist who offered to phone them for me, but apparently they were quite mad. I didn't get too many details of what went in that conversation (the nice French person clearly didn't want to have anything to do with it anymore), but apparantly the replacements were rather expensive and they (I guess understandably) weren't too happy about the whole ordeal either. That was something like a week before I got my SAO artbook (as it was a preorder and that book was produced later, it was send seperately)
And it looks like this: https://66.media.tumblr.com/e58d5deee64b0ef1acf478686ec5b3bd/tumblr_p7caqv3nzZ1ruv8xjo1_1280.jpg
(That's not a scratch, but more like the plastic protection got an extra fold.)
Which was pretty annoying, but I then just sucked it up, because I didn't want any more drama, but that line has been annoying every since. (Like it was even packaged seperately, why didn't the one packing it notice it and it just had to be my foreign shipping package. What stupid bad coincidence is that?) =/
They still haven't changed their packaging, but my orders from them have gone a lot smaller, so the packaging they use seems to be mostly enough by now. (Small issues still surface, but I can live with them.) I did have a question afterwards once, but again the reply was being referred to their phone number.

But if they add the sleeve right away, that's even better, if it needs to come to that. Don't really want to ask them anything anymore. @_@

A4 digipaks? Where do you see this? I don't remember any. The digipaks used in those boxset are always either DVD or BD format sized

Absolutely ! It's often BD format for the digipack on A4 version of Kana, Black Box and Kazé (Terraformars, Code Geass, Kuroko's Basket)

I don't have the box, but a priori the upscal is correct

Merci beaucoup~

(sorry for the format ;-( )

Back