FMA. Yay or Nay?

Rena Ryuugu said:
lord.dynamo said:
Think I may give it a miss for a while at least then.

Just got to the end of Claymore. Is there going to be a series two? I didn't spot a mention on wikipedia and the ending seems a bit of a let down if there isn't one.

I don't think there is going to be a season 2 and if there was, I would think that wait until the manga finishes. I would love there to be one too since I love the Claymore series.

Definitely no season 2, but I think/hope that when the manga ends they'll do a new anime version.

(Time for me to be flamed)

FMA (The first series) was for me, the biggest dissapointment I have had in anime bar none. I had heard a synopsis of the story and the dark fantasy theme sounded right up my street. So I went and watched it.

Put it bluntly it was one of the most unpleasant experiences I have seen in any genre.

The problem? It is dark story, lots of emotional problems to play out, and what did they do? they presented it as a comedy.

After the first few episodes dealing with literally dozens of 'short people' jokes I stopped watching an have never gone back. A little in keeping humour? fine. Completely over the top slapstick in a serious story? No thanks.

Yes I know this is just my opinion. And no I am not just a grump - I find Excel Saga hilarious for one, but that is properly a comedy. The story of FMA is NOT a comedy, to play it as one was a travesty to the story. Equally I have no idea if the manga is played the same way. Doesn't matter, it clashes horribly for me.

*Moan over*

Warmaster said:
(Time for me to be flamed)

FMA (The first series) was for me, the biggest dissapointment I have had in anime bar none. I had heard a synopsis of the story and the dark fantasy theme sounded right up my street. So I went and watched it.

Put it bluntly it was one of the most unpleasant experiences I have seen in any genre.

The problem? It is dark story, lots of emotional problems to play out, and what did they do? they presented it as a comedy.

After the first few episodes dealing with literally dozens of 'short people' jokes I stopped watching an have never gone back. A little in keeping humour? fine. Completely over the top slapstick in a serious story? No thanks.

Yes I know this is just my opinion. And no I am not just a grump - I find Excel Saga hilarious for one, but that is properly a comedy. The story of FMA is NOT a comedy, to play it as one was a travesty to the story. Equally I have no idea if the manga is played the same way. Doesn't matter, it clashes horribly for me.

*Moan over*

Brotherhood layers the yuks on even more thickly. So I guess you never bothered with Brotherhood. Compared to Brotherhood, the first series is an Ingmar Bergman movie! Incidentally, did you get as far as episode 7 of the original series?

Just Passing Through said:
Brotherhood layers the yuks on even more thickly. So I guess you never bothered with Brotherhood. Compared to Brotherhood, the first series is an Ingmar Bergman movie! Incidentally, did you get as far as episode 7 of the original series?

I did actually, but good 'bits' don't actually make up for the general lack of seriousness.

The first series has more of a balance shift to it, the comedy in Brotherhood is pretty much constant IMO, but in the first series the darker overtones take precedence the further into the series it gets.

But losing the comedy altogether would be pretty pointless given the source manga. It's pure in shonen in that respect, mixing up the yuks with action and melodrama.

Just Passing Through said:
The first series has more of a balance shift to it, the comedy in Brotherhood is pretty much constant IMO, but in the first series the darker overtones take precedence the further into the series it gets.
That's my lasting impression of the two series. The humour in Brotherhood is louder and more obnoxious and, unlike in the first series, never really goes away.

I recommend giving it another go sometime, Warmaster. FMA goes to some dark places.

I'm bumping this because I'd like to make sure Warmaster spotted people's comments. The amount of OTT humor (specifically the jokes about Ed's height) decreases dramatically as the show goes on.

I wasn't expecting much from FMA as it is pretty modern, but I really enjoyed it! :)

Your best bet is to probably watch a couple of episodes online and if you have that urge to watch the rest then buy the set.

ilmaestro said:
I'm bumping this because I'd like to make sure Warmaster spotted people's comments. The amount of OTT humor (specifically the jokes about Ed's height) decreases dramatically as the show goes on.

Yeah I saw them. Good to know there is improvement but unfortunately I like to view a series as a whole, not just a collection of episodes so it is rather badly hurt before it is even begun.

I may give it a go at some point but it is not on my list of priorities.

Warmaster said:
ilmaestro said:

Yeah I saw them. Good to know there is improvement but unfortunately I like to view a series as a whole, not just a collection of episodes so it is rather badly hurt before it is even begun.
But by dismissing it based on the poor humor in a small "collection of episodes" at the start, surely you are doing the latter, and not the former?

Back