FMA. Yay or Nay?

lord.dynamo

Completely Average High School Student
Is it worth getting into FullMetal Alchemist? I watched a couple of episodes a few years ago and liked it but is it worth me starting to collect the DVDs?

Last time I came on here I said I was interested in watching DragonBall Z and most people said it wasn't the best long series to get into. I bought the first series, watched the first episode and then the boxset onto eBay. I tend to watch anime with an air of mythology and fantasy to them and I thought that FMA is sort of along those lines.

ALSO! What's the deal with this FMA:Brotherhood thing? Is it just the name of series 2 or is it a re-telling from the beginning? I think I can only find Brotherhood on Amazon. I'll have to check eBay.

FMA: Brotherhood is a re-telling of the series (more in line with the manga) as the original series got ahead of the manga very quickly and just about it's full 2nd half had to be new material.

The original FMA anime series is out of print here now, but you can still import it easy enough.

Whether it's worth getting into or not? I only got round to watching the original series this year, I had read some of the manga (up to 14) and liked it. The series itself was quite good too I felt, but I didn't rate it as highly as it seems to be held by some people. Some of the changes from the manga were a bit jarring, some of the filler quite pointless and it gets a bit cheesy at times, but after I watched the film I kinda wanted to go back and watch it again, so it was good in that sense and what it takes from the manga it does well.

I've not seen Brotherhood, but have the complete boxset pre-ordered that's coming out, get the feeling I might like this more seeing as how it's obviously closer to the manga.

I'd say it's a decent series worth a go, but not the 2nd coming as it can be banded about as at times. Maybe give the 1st volume of the manga a look first, a more affordable way to see if you like the series rather than buying the whole thing and hating it.

It isn't the Best Thing Ever but it is probably one of the most well-liked. I've heard very little criticism of any incarnation of FMA and would say it's pretty much one of the safest gambles if you're after a longer series to watch.

I count Fullmetal Alchemist in all of its incarnations as my number 1 anime of all time, it's definitely worth it.

The first series has a personal approach that I especially liked, I got really invested in the journey of Ed and Al. It was the first anime I ever marathoned because I really wanted to see how it ended! Brotherhood has a slightly rough start however as it blazes through the manga material that the first series covered before it diverges, but it picks up as soon as it gets to the new material (around ep 14 or 15) and the ending is much stronger than the first series (which still had a good finale).

I feel that the first series has a more tragic and dramatic approach compared to Brotherhood's more fast-paced action approach. The first series is driven more by the personal journeys of Ed and Al while the second series has them fit in as part of a larger overall plot. However the first series definitely doesn't lack action and Brotherhood can be equally emotional and moving as well.

I had to grab all of the first FMA DVD singles (with Shamballa) off eBay for about £30 a couple of years ago since its out of print now, it'd be cool to see it rescued and rereleased in the UK. I think Funimation have the entire first series streaming on Youtube still at least. Brotherhood's complete DVD collection is out soonish over here and is well worth picking up. You don't need to have watched FMA to watch Brotherhood and vice-versa but I think it's worth watching them both (On a complete tangent, does anyone remember Vice-Versa the chocolate? I suddenly remembered it typing that last sentence).

But yeah, it has my absolute recommendation. A compelling and tragic story, great comedy (that has been PASSED DOWN THE ARMSTRONG FAMILY LINE FOR GENERATIONS!), fluid and detailed art and animation (especially Brotherhood), wonderful music and an immensely likeable cast of characters who I desperately wanted to see succeed.

Phew, I was running out of hyperbole at the end but screw it, it's FMA and I can't help it! :lol: It may not necessarily be the very best anime that I have ever seen (that may have to go to Now and Then, Here and There, which made such an impact on my 16 year old self that I cannot bring myself to rewatch it!), but it is unquestionably my favourite.

It isn't THE best thing ever but it is one of the best things ever made in anime history. I don't think you will find many better shows or many people aruging that point

This might be nostalga Gallic but the 2003 fma is the best but the 2nd series is good too, I think the 2003 treats us like adults more but the 2ed series is more cartoony so you get a few giggles there and there

I like fma and it's worth watching

Lawrence said:
MaxonTreik said:
devilrules666 said:
but it is one of the best things ever made in anime history.
Except it isn't.

It was a pretty decent adaption though, for what it's worth. I mean, you wouldn't be disappointed by watching Brotherhood. I think personally though, the last 20 episodes or so just didn't hit the same high notes that the first 30 did and it kinda put a damper on the series. I mean, it's a solid ending but part of me was left feeling unfulfilled by it.

you felt that too i know what you mean it just felt unfulfilling to me

So would I be right in thinking that the first seeries isn't available on DVD then? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I'm trying to up my collection a bit, but my tastes are quite narrow so I wasn't sure if this was something to get into.

I've been watching Claymore over the past few days, but it doesn't hold my attention very well :S

lord.dynamo said:
So would I be right in thinking that the first seeries isn't available on DVD then? Or am I looking in the wrong place?
The 2003 series is available on DVD, but new copies are unavailable, so CeX, eBay or the Marketplace on this forum are worth looking at.

With Brotherhood, you might be interested in the complete boxset which comes out next month: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fullmetal-Alche ... 0087DTGMK/

lord.dynamo said:
I'm trying to up my collection a bit, but my tastes are quite narrow so I wasn't sure if this was something to get into.

I've been watching Claymore over the past few days, but it doesn't hold my attention very well :S

What anime have you seen so far? Non-anime TV and movies would also help, cos I'm into those, too XD...

Hey Maxon its called a opinion. And i am entittled to my belief that fullmetal alchemist is one of the best of all time. You disagree that's cool you are entitled to your opinion. But don't go telling me i am wrong.

I liked what I saw (still haven't seen the end - I watched it when Manga were streaming it, they never finished, and I haven't got around to picking up more than the first disc yet)

My answer to your original question is a resounding yes. Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are both absolutely amazing series'. I will agree with devilrules666 in that they are two of the best series' - at the very least, definitely the best shonen series' I have ever seen. It has a lot of what most shonen shows lack - brains and morals.

As for the difference between the two. Well, Brotherhood follows the story of the original manga. The first series did until around the halfway point, but then it split off because it cut too close to the manga story at the time (heck, Hiromu Arakawa had to throw out 150 pages chapters towards the end just so Brotherhood didn't take over!).

The first 13 episodes of Brotherhood are super fast paced because it skips through material already covered by the first series, but after that it turns into a truly fantastic series.

lord.dynamo said:

How far did you get with Claymore? I think it's great (bar the horrible ending they came up with) the manga's even better but the anime does a great job and goes on a superb run starting from around Episode 6/7 ("Teresa and Clare"/"Marked for Death") right up until the last few when things get off track. If you didn't get as far as through all of Clare's backstory anyway I would say give it a go up until that at least (episode 8/9).

the movie is freakin amazing too * the second movies BH*

in the series winry gives ed her earrings and im like * why..... do they have something to do with the relationship and after watching the OVAs it shows you where they came from and im like ohhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradox295 said:
What anime have you seen so far? Non-anime TV and movies would also help, cos I'm into those, too XD...

I've got some Ghibli (Earthsea, Nausicaa, Howl's Castle, Mononoke,Spirited Away) as well as WitchHunter Robin, Ghost Hunt, Pet Shop of Horror, Rin, Summer Wars, Girl Who Leapt Through Time & Darker Than Black.

As for non-anime, I have a mass of DVDs from various genres (I think nearly 250). When it comes to anime, however, I tend to look for stuff along the fantasy route. Usually with an air of mythology to them, ie ancient gods, secret hierarchal orders.

20thCenturyBoy said:
How far did you get with Claymore? I think it's great (bar the horrible ending they came up with) the manga's even better but the anime does a great job and goes on a superb run starting from around Episode 6/7 ("Teresa and Clare"/"Marked for Death") right up until the last few when things get off track. If you didn't get as far as through all of Clare's backstory anyway I would say give it a go up until that at least (episode 8/9).

I'm around episode 17 I think. I didn't like the first few episodes, but I did like when they started looking more at the Claymores and Clare's origins. I think the problem is just that I have quite a short attention span.

20thCenturyBoy said:
FMA: Brotherhood is a re-telling of the series (more in line with the manga) as the original series got ahead of the manga very quickly and just about it's full 2nd half had to be new material.

The original FMA anime series is out of print here now, but you can still import it easy enough.

Whether it's worth getting into or not? I only got round to watching the original series this year, I had read some of the manga (up to 14) and liked it. The series itself was quite good too I felt, but I didn't rate it as highly as it seems to be held by some people. Some of the changes from the manga were a bit jarring, some of the filler quite pointless and it gets a bit cheesy at times, but after I watched the film I kinda wanted to go back and watch it again, so it was good in that sense and what it takes from the manga it does well.

I've not seen Brotherhood, but have the complete boxset pre-ordered that's coming out, get the feeling I might like this more seeing as how it's obviously closer to the manga.

I'd say it's a decent series worth a go, but not the 2nd coming as it can be banded about as at times. Maybe give the 1st volume of the manga a look first, a more affordable way to see if you like the series rather than buying the whole thing and hating it.

I second this: good but not great and considering the price you'd pay, not really worth it, but you might like it better, so who knows.

Lawrence said:
I think personally though, the last 20 episodes or so just didn't hit the same high notes that the first 30 did and it kinda put a damper on the series. I mean, it's a solid ending but part of me was left feeling unfulfilled by it.
Brotherhood has a bit of a lop-sided feel to it. The show thunders through the content covered by the first series in a way that's not entirely satisfying, then slows down a bit and gets really good for 20 or so episodes. But the final act just drags on and on, with battles that never seem to end, and it involves far too many characters for my liking. It never stops being entertaining but overall I favour the 2003 series.

Both are absolutely worth watching, though.

Think I may give it a miss for a while at least then.

Just got to the end of Claymore. Is there going to be a series two? I didn't spot a mention on wikipedia and the ending seems a bit of a let down if there isn't one.

lord.dynamo said:
Think I may give it a miss for a while at least then.

Just got to the end of Claymore. Is there going to be a series two? I didn't spot a mention on wikipedia and the ending seems a bit of a let down if there isn't one.

I don't think there is going to be a season 2 and if there was, I would think that wait until the manga finishes. I would love there to be one too since I love the Claymore series.

Back