Film4 to show Death Note film Double-Bill

Ian Wolf

Harem King
AUKN Staff
Film4 are to screen both live action Death Note films as a special double bill over 23rd and 24th October.

Death_Note_Movie.jpg

Adapted from the manga and anime of the same name, the films follow Light Yagami (Tatsuya Fujiwara), aka Kira, the discoverer of the "Death Note", a supernatural note book which allows the owner to kill anyone they know the name and face of. The film follows the battle between Light and the master detective L (Kenichi Matsuyama) who is attempting to stop the series of murders that Kira has committed.

The first film, entitled Death Note, will be shown at 22.35 on 23rd October. The second film, Death Note: The Last Name, will follow directly afterwards at 01.00 on 24th October.

I've had both of these on DVD for quite a few years (As well as L - Change the WorLd). I thought these movies were good, but The Red Hot Chilli Peppers really didn't fit xD

Still, L Change the WorLd is way better.

Joshawott said:
I've had both of these on DVD for quite a few years (As well as L - Change the WorLd). I thought these movies were good, but The Red Hot Chilli Peppers really didn't fit xD

L Change the WorLd is awful, but in the so bad it's hilarious category of awful XD That guy dying from the virus is the BEST. DEATH. EVER. in his overacting and L typing/ running is also jokes XP

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Joshawott said:

L Change the WorLd is awful, but in the so bad it's hilarious category of awful XD That guy dying from the virus is the BEST. DEATH. EVER. in his overacting and L typing/ running is also jokes XP
While the film's story wasn't that great, but Kenichi Matsuyama's performance was fantastic - certainly made the film a lot more bearable.

VivisQueen said:
Why not the series, damnit?

I think that British broadcasters would be too worried to show a series with glorified someone who is essentially a serial killer. Also, they might also be worried of copycat killings like the ones that occured in Belgium.

Shuuya said:
Lawrence said:
Shuuya said:
These movies are so terrible. Why are they even bothering?

I liked it better than the manga, I thought the film was pretty well made.
light_with_death_god_630px.jpg

Terrible CG Ryuk says otherwise.
I thought the CGI was pretty good; it's just that CGI characters and live action humans rarely look natural together. Besides, think of it as a low budget movie (after all, remember the scene where Watari slowly lifts up the laptop just so we can see the Apple logo for a good few seconds?) and it becomes fantastic.

At least Ryuk didn't have the same damn smirk as these guys:
megamind.jpg

34f381bb-3af3-4964-8f9d-e81e283a46ac_monsters-vs-aliens.jpg

01_Kung_Fu_Panda.jpg

I'd be interested if it was L: Change the World since the DVD was messed up (it stutters badly for the last half).

Oh, they've added a comment to the Amazon listing:

"Please Note:- This special edition has a very slight skip after Chapter 19, which is from the master disc and cannot be rectified. It is barely noticeable, however if you feel this will cause a loss of watching pleasure, please purchase the standard version."

I think we have different opinions of "slight skip" and "barely noticeable" and if there had only been a standard version I would probably have never bought it - the packaging and the fact that it was limited was a big factor in me getting all three movies.

I really enjoyed the films (I have the manga and anime versions too) and how they played around with the story. The CG is cheaper than Hollywood films, of course, but I didn't find it distractingly bad. I really liked Matsuyama's performance and found Fujiwara rather unlikeable.

Shiroi Hane, that's terrible to hear. I imported the R3 which had no such issues (that I recall, and I think I'd remember).

R

You have to get used to some Z movie level production values if you're going to watch too many Japanese live action movies. :lol: Especially ones based on manga series etc.

Shiroi Hane said:
I'd be interested if it was L: Change the World since the DVD was messed up (it stutters badly for the last half).

Oh, they've added a comment to the Amazon listing:

"Please Note:- This special edition has a very slight skip after Chapter 19, which is from the master disc and cannot be rectified. It is barely noticeable, however if you feel this will cause a loss of watching pleasure, please purchase the standard version."

I think we have different opinions of "slight skip" and "barely noticeable" and if there had only been a standard version I would probably have never bought it - the packaging and the fact that it was limited was a big factor in me getting all three movies.
Well I guess it does have a 'slight skip', since it only skips back one frame... It just happens to have the 'slight skip' at least four times a second. :roll:

Back