FF VII: Advent Children Complete to be released in the UK

Sorry, I find it hard to resist not speaking my mind when dealing with the above. However, you'll find there was more in the way of explaining the FFVII story than attacking the above. I did try to show some restraint in order to destroy the suggestion that AC had an actual story worthy of anything.

By the way, lol at how the mods have given up on stopping arguments lately. I think they've took a 'Let them verbally murder each other. Screw it.' stance due to the intensity of the insults being thrown around...by others, of course.

Now that the argument has ended and all is right with the world, can anyone who has seen the polished turd tell me what exactly was added? I'm curious yet CBA to see for myself, or Google.

fabricatedlunatic said:
That Bright Slap motivator is pure win.

The personal attacks in this thread are not. Seriously, it's just pathetic.

I agree with these sentiments. Please, if people must argue about the actual movie, argue about the movie, not about one another. I've been out most of the weekend but any more of the personal bashing will be a problem.

Once again some valid points on both sides are completely undermined by the inflammatory manner in which they are being delivered.

In Rui mode rather than Admin mode, I liked AC and will be buying it again one day, but not until the Complete version is actually complete. Where's Last Order? I enjoyed the majority of the FFVII revival stuff (the last time I bought it) but I can't help but feel the studios are just milking people like me with chopped up releases like this.

R

What valid points were made by Geek? Seriously. He simply said I'm right, backed up his thoughts with incorrect statements about character development and generalizations and then threw in the towel. He did what he always does - throws a hissy fit when anyone bashes AC simply because he's only ever played Final Fantasy games on the RPG front. He's done it with Paul, Lupus and God knows how many others.

I went about making my points in my usual ****ish manner but I spent most of my time talking about FFVII. I didn't just attack him, as tempting as that is.

Last Order came with the R1 special edition and the Japanese ultra rare edition. By special I mean SPECIAL; as in not the standard 2-DVD set. I got mine off eBay. Contained within is a 20 minute OVA about Zack, following him as he tries to stop Sephiroth when he goes insane and then tries to escape with a mentally damaged Cloud.

This is it in full, on Youtube:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdGYaFDPlks&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdGYaFDPlks&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Aion said:
Last Order came with the R1 special edition an the Japanese uktra rare edition. By special I mean SPECIAL; as in not the standard 2-DVD set. I got mine off eBay. Contained within is a 20 minute OVA about Zack, following him as he tries to stop Sephiroth when he goes insane and then tries to escape with a mentally damaged Cloud.

Yeah, I saw it at a friend's. I bought the first R1 DVD release but now to get the complete FFVII video deal I have to buy the R1 special edition as well as the blu-ray; I had been hoping that they'd have thrown me a bone and given me a way to get both in one go. I'm effectively buying AC three times. I liked AC as I said but it feels wrong to set a precedent for supporting this kind of fan-punishing release method.

I'll probably just SSpin the special edition when it comes down enough and get the blu-ray one day to see the new material (again, when it comes down enough). I feel like supporting the original R1 release at the time was a mistake which is probably not the way they want their customers to feel when DVD sales are slumping.

If they'd even just announced the R1 LE when the original version came out I wouldn't be so mad at them.

R

Rui said:
Yeah, I saw it at a friend's. I bought the first R1 DVD release but now to get the complete FFVII video deal I have to buy the R1 special edition as well as the blu-ray; I had been hoping that they'd have thrown me a bone and given me a way to get both in one go. I'm effectively buying AC three times. I liked AC as I said but it feels wrong to set a precedent for supporting this kind of fan-punishing release method.

I'll probably just SSpin the special edition when it comes down enough and get the blu-ray one day to see the new material (again, when it comes down enough). I feel like supporting the original R1 release at the time was a mistake which is probably not the way they want their customers to feel when DVD sales are slumping.

If they'd even just announced the R1 LE when the original version came out I wouldn't be so mad at them.

R

Sorry, my bad. I thought you asked, "What's Last Order?" because I glanced at your post rather than reading it in a proper manner. I do it all the time and it often leads to misunderstandings.

I picked up the R2 release ages ago. I can't recall how much I paid but I ended up basically giving it away for free after paying quite a bit for a used copy of the R1 special-special edition on eBay. I must be silly to first pay for AC because it's connected to my favourite game and then buy it AGAIN for a 20 minute OVA...

I wasn't aware they aren't including Last Order in this "Complete" AC package. It's a major negative because Last Order is vastly superior to AC. Owning that in HD would actually be worth it. I guess it isn't too shocking that Square are milking Advent Children and its 'extras' as much as humanly possible, FFVII now being a gigantic cash cow and all. It's laughable that it's took them so long to release a director's cut version.

You'll be lucky to get it for cheap off SS these days - they aren't exactly cheap, the odd few DVDs aside. It's become harder and harder to get bargains because of a combination of the weak pound and their high pricing.

What did you think of LO, by the way? You seem to like EVERYTHING but I thought I'd show interest and ask anyway.

Aion said:
What did you think of LO, by the way? You seem to like EVERYTHING but I thought I'd show interest and ask anyway.

It was blown away in my memories by playing Crisis Core afterwards, which really made me feel for Zack (I cried quite a lot). From what I remember of LO I liked the animation and the exploring of those critical moments from the game's story. I'm also a big fan of any inclusion of Turks, however limited. Didn't like that it was just a teasingly short one-shot but Crisis Core fixed that. Before LO (and CC) I hadn't particularly appreciated Zack's role as a character and saw him more as a convenient plot device; being able to put a proper voice and personality to him helped a great deal.

I love FFVII (though VI and Tactics are my favourites) so it would have had to suck quite a lot to have had no value to me.

I'd like to own Last Order and watch it properly again. I should probably just suck it up and buy the LE before it becomes annoying to find. The knowledge that a LE blu-ray including LO will then follow in a year's time is frustrating.

You're right in that I like almost everything that I pick up. I tend to remain mostly silent when series I don't like are discussed, unless they're so atrocious that people might need warning.

R

I wish I could play CC - I have the SE and no PSP. The good is that I got a mint copy for cheap and the other day someone sold a used copy of the SE for £70, the bad is that I want to see more of Zack.

I didn't cry (men don't, obviously!) but I did feel sad at the end. The truck sequence in the game was good but, after Zack was transformed from underdeveloped plot device to a real, likeable person in LO, the scene had more impact. He's a much better main character than Cloud and it'd be great to play a game as him.

I love FFVII (hence it being my #1 game), I liked FFVIII a lot (ranked it at #2 at one stage) and I thought FFIX was different but still a great game. I only started to stop thinking of Final Fantasy games as the holy grail of the RPG universe after playing FFX - a game I've never been able to replay.

I think I played FFVI too late in the day - after FFX. By that stage it felt outdated and I was never able to think of it as being on the same level as FFVII. I'm sure it was amazing back when it first came out - like FFVII on a lesser scale - but it lacked the same shine when I put it into my PS2.

FF: T is a solid game hurt by huge difficulty spikes and a story that's incomprehensible at times. The translation didn't help out much - it was as if the translation team wanted to make life difficult. If you look at the stories of FF: T and FFXII, you can tell they're cut from the same cloth, neither being able to pull the player in and both being too complex because of a combinayion of the dialogue and the story itself. I think I dropped it after 30 hours or so...

Switching back to LO, it isn't really worth spending a lot of money of the SSE on DVD just for 20 minutes. I did because I'm dumb but it wasn't the most wise move I'll ever make. A lot wiser than the people who pay £20 for R0 copies on eBay, though.

You're the opposite of me, by the way. I tend not to discuss things I like and instead only post about things I dislike. I feel the need to moan, yet I don't have the same motivation when there's only good things to say, for the most part at least.

Aion said:
I didn't cry (men don't, obviously!)

I wonder if that means you're starting to believe my claims...:)

Aion said:
He's a much better main character than Cloud and it'd be great to play a game as him.

That's exactly what I got out of CC. I was really lucky on that front, as I had avoided buying a PSP but my husband surprised me with one for my birthday that year out of nowhere. CC amazingly also did make me like the often-boring Cloud a little more than before. Zack was definitely the more interesting guy though.

Aion said:
I love FFVII (hence it being my #1 game), I liked FFVIII a lot (ranked it at #2 at one stage) and I thought FFIX was different but still a great game. I only started to stop thinking of Final Fantasy games as the holy grail of the RPG universe after playing FFX - a game I've never been able to replay.

Quite a few of my RL friends seemed to stall on FFX entirely and not finish it. FFVIII was tainted somewhat by my losing my save game partway on a dodgy Game-branded memory card and having to replay, which completely sucked the fun out of the rest of it. I've always had a rather steady appreciation for FF games though and there are none in the main series I really hated (even X-2 which I was expecting to be the worst game ever made from the trailers). FF2 was the weakest to date for me. I'll play any RPG though so long as it's not too focused on real time action.

I think VI was the first one I really fangirled over and spent hours trying to "complete" rather than just finish. Even since I've always "completed" FF games with the exception of XII (too luck-based/tedious) and VIII (for the reasons above).

Aion said:
FF: T is a solid game hurt by huge difficulty spikes and a story that's incomprehensible at times. The translation didn't help out much - it was as if the translation team wanted to make life difficult.

Were you playing the PS1 version or PSP (presumably the former?)? The PS1 version was an absolutely horrible translation that made playing feel like a chore, however as I'm sure you know the PSP version was blessed with an excellent new English version. My husband has been playing mine lately after completely giving up on the original and has been praising the new translation every time he mentions it. The difficulty spikes added to the fun to me; when I tried out FFTA the difficulty curve felt far too gentle and I soon got bored and gave up. I might be a masochist at heart.

FFXII worked well for me until the wannabe-MMO endgame where it all came down to "farming" for good items and made me want to put a brick on my controller's movement stick and leave it all to the gambit system (so I just finished it and put it away). I played it in Japanese so cannot speak for the translation. The storytelling was a change of pace that seemed to alienate a lot of people (again, not me; I seem quite resilient when I am into something!).

Aion said:
Switching back to LO, it isn't really worth spending a lot of money of the SSE on DVD just for 20 minutes.

I can be pretty dumb like that too. I have spent far more in the past for far worse. Hopefully one of my friends will take the first release off my hands.

R

Rui said:
I wonder if that means you're starting to believe my claims...:)

Never truly believed you are male. I'll just never believe anything said on the internet 100%, and people enjoy role-playing as females for, in 4chan speak, lulz. The Roy thing was just a bit of trolling/fun, and since you never took the bait...

I would say if you were male that your pride/ego would show through, causing you to enter into arguments for no reason other than the need to out-argue others, but that's too much of an assumption. I'm sure there are a number of guys who don't jump at the chance to call each other names out there, somewhere.

Quite a few of my RL friends seemed to stall on FFX entirely and not finish it. FFVIII was tainted somewhat by my losing my save game partway on a dodgy Game-branded memory card and having to replay, which completely sucked the fun out of the rest of it. I've always had a rather steady appreciation for FF games though and there are none in the main series I really hated (even X-2 which I was expecting to be the worst game ever made from the trailers). FF2 was the weakest to date for me. I'll play any RPG though so long as it's not too focused on real time action.

I actually beat FFX, spending 100 hours doing so. I got REALLY into blitzball. But whenever I try to replay it, it bores me to tears. When I was younger, none of what I now perceive to be flaws bothered me a great deal - I wasn't blown away by the game back then but I didn't hate. I'll probably never replay it.

I never got around to playing X-2. I was never hot on FFX, so playing through a Spice Girls remix doesn't appeal to me. I don't know if it's as bad as it looks but I can't say I'm willing to find out for himself. I'm happy for it to sit unused on shelf forever and my two guides to get the same treatment.

I think VI was the first one I really fangirled over and spent hours trying to "complete" rather than just finish. Even since I've always "completed" FF games with the exception of XII (too luck-based/tedious) and VIII (for the reasons above).

I've never beaten FFVIII, despite liking it. I've spoken to a few people in the same boat. My reasons for not beating it are my hate for the final dungeon and, as if to salts into my wounds, the final boss stealing ALL my junctioned magic from me. Never will I fight a more troublesome 'normal' FF boss.

And, also like yourself, I never beat FFXII. I put 100 hours into it and then stopped. The MMORPG-esque gameplay pulled me in because it was something different - I've only played one MMORPG (FFXI, oddly enough) and FFXII is very similar to the MMORPG I played. But, at that stage, the gameplay just wasn't fun anymore, and the story had never been a reason to play the game. Once I reach the point where I don't care, I can never find the required drive to push on and beat the game in question.

Were you playing the PS1 version or PSP (presumably the former?)? The PS1 version was an absolutely horrible translation that made playing feel like a chore, however as I'm sure you know the PSP version was blessed with an excellent new English version. My husband has been playing mine lately after completely giving up on the original and has been praising the new translation every time he mentions it. The difficulty spikes added to the fun to me; when I tried out FFTA the difficulty curve felt far too gentle and I soon got bored and gave up. I might be a masochist at heart.

PS1. I have the GH re-release.

I'm aware the PSP version was retranslated. I'd have probably picked up a copy for cheap and had a look at it by now if I owned a PSP, just to see if the new text helped me care about what was happening.

Only ever played FFTA once, and that was a long time ago. I think I put 50 hours into it before dropping it, but I don't remember much, which says a lot about the quality. I do remember it being far too kiddy in terms of characters and story, as if it was created only for kiddies because of its release on a Nintendo console.

FFXII worked well for me until the wannabe-MMO endgame where it all came down to "farming" for good items and made me want to put a brick on my controller's movement stick and leave it all to the gambit system (so I just finished it and put it away). I played it in Japanese so cannot speak for the translation. The storytelling was a change of pace that seemed to alienate a lot of people (again, not me; I seem quite resilient when I am into something!).

I didn't mind the monster hunting for items in order to get ultimate weapons. A guide makes those issues non-issues, patience aside. But the farming aspect probably did weigh on me by the end, resulting in me feeling even less reason to carry on.

The translation was, if I recall, in ancient English to match the setting of the game and classes of the characters. But, instead of enhancing the experience, all it did was make an already difficult to understand story into a more difficult to comprehend one. Not that it really mattered - because of the cliched and underdeveloped cast, I never really cared about the story or felt any involvement anyway, so not following some of what was said didn't impact on my enjoyment.

I love how Crisis Core expands on the events of FFVII. After initially disliking his overly enthusiastic personality, I ended up finding Zack more likeable than any character from FFVII. What I didn't like was the whole Angeal/Genesis subplot. Absolute toss, IMO, and nothing more than an excuse to shoehorn more pretty boys into the story.

Cloud's 'emo', anti-social type of personality isn't very endearing. Zack, on the other hand, loves life and always has a smile on his face. It isn't hard to pick a winrar out of the two. If Cloud had made some funny, ******** comments, like Haseo from .hack//G.U., I would've liked him more.

I've read that the filler elements of CC fail, and that doesn't exactly shock me after seeing the continuation of the FFVII story. I won't be playing it to see new filler characters or cameos from main characters from the game - I'd just like to play through what was in Last Order - the proper story - as Zack.

Nah, I think Cloud is likeable. Going along with Aerith's cross-dressing idea and being a largely sympathetic character endeared him to me anyway.

I actually like all of the bits they've added on to FFVII. Dirge of Cerberus had a cool story and I even enjoyed the Genesis/Angeal part of Crisis Core, though I can see how others did not like it at all.

Back