Favourite Non-Final Fantasy RPG?

There are other great RPGs apart from Final Fantasy out there! *gasp*

So what are your favourites? :D

Mine are:

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (PS2) - A fantasically different sort of RPG - dark and harrowing mixed with a hint of demons! Due to get released in the UK sometime in the Winter! I got this imported from the good ol' US.

Grandia (PS1) - Great humour mixed with cheap anime moments and with a sense of adventure! It might look a bit dated now but the gameplay is all there.

Skies Of Arcadia (Dreamcast) - I have a feeling Final Fantasy XII is slightly ripping off this game with Sky Pirates and their imaginitive ships that can fly in the sky. When i first played it on the Dreamcast, I was very impressed with the high quality orchestrated music and fun characters! You can get the 'improved' version on the Gamecube named: 'Skies Of Arcadia Legends'.

Breath Of Fire 3/4 (PS1) - Couldn't decide which one I like better - but they are both 'old skool' with colourful anime characters and in BOF4 anime cutscenes!

Will add more later probably, maybe I'm easily pleased! :wink:
________
Scuderia Ferrari History

You are right there, there is more than just Final Fantasy, even though i have as fav game, ffx, i actually prefer Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. That itself made me start playing every Zelda game in existence(cept for the CD-i ones), it was, and still is one of the best games in the world, great gameplay, graphics where great when it first came out, and i just found no other game that was any better. Tales of Symphonia is also one which i would like to take a look at, and i plan to do so as soon as i can get it.

Can I say Kingdom Hearts? Proberly not since its linked to Final Fantasy. I need to try other RPG'S but I keep spending my money on anime and manga.^-^

i would say you can mention Kingdom hearts, it may have slight relations to Final Fantasy like being made by Square-Enix(Squaresoft) and some characters from it, but its based more on Disney and is not called final fantasy so i would say its ok to mention.

I really love Star ocean till the end of time on the PS2, and Summoner 2 aswell! Both were lots of fun. Morrowind on the PC was fantastic, as was Baldurs Gate 2 (Baldurs Gate 2 is possibly my favourite RPG of all time actually).

There is of course Zelda:Ocarina Of Time aswell, it may be slightly overated, but its still a good game. I enjoyed it...., but I think Baldurs Gate 2 and possibly Morrowind are slightly better.

I have to say my favourite RPGs are the FF ones especially FF7 and *looks at sky* FFX - brilliant. So i dont stray to far away into other RPGs but The Wind Waker was really really good i thought.

Mangaminx said:
Morrowind on the PC was fantastic

I forgot about that. I've spent alot of time on it but never really got anywhere. I mostly spent my time killing everyone and stealing stuff. The Bloodmoon expansion pack is really good.

Zelda, any of them, awesome.

But to stop the echo's... Shen Mue. This game rocked (for me) so much. If yu ever wanted to be tha characterits shen mue that let you. You were immersed into a living world, a world where you could (altho not really) essentially do what you wanted. I can't reiterate how much i loved that game.

Second one didn;t quite do it for me, but still awesome. I really need to sit and complete that :/

I really like the Beath of fire seires and also really like star ocean 2 till the end of time and the frist game too (watch the anime with it :) ).

Breath of fire 3/4
Vandal Hearts 1/2
Star ocean till the end of time
Dragon Monster Battles
Granadia
Shining force
Vagrant Story
and countless others I cant remember 8)

Lol I'm seeing a pattern here with Zelda and .Hack games! :shock:

But as for some other RPGs.. I like Morrowind, it's something you could probably really get absorbed in if you spend alot of time with it.

The Xbox has some over looked games, which I think is sometimes superior to the usual JRPGs such as:

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 1 & 2 - Even if it wasn't Star Wars endorsed it would still be great!

Jade Empire - Faux-Chinese RPG with great dialogue and some 'interesting' romances thrown in! lol.

Perhaps Zelda is even more overrated than the Final Fantasy games, at least they change the plot and characters for each game! *cough cough*
________
Zx14 Vs Hayabusa

Back