Favourite Engrish in anime

Fair enough qaiz. Far be it for me to judge or tell anyone how to enjoy their hobby. I just, y'know, like to elaborate on the things I say and perhaps try and provoke a bit of discussion.

I was thinking a little sadly about something similar recently (even though I was never a massive Azumanga Daioh fan because I'm awful). Back in the day we had a set of shows you could reasonably assume every UK anime fan had seen or at least knew about; Macross Plus, Akira, GitS, Giant Robo, that kind of thing. Nowadays - and I think this is great - there's a lot more on offer to us but a side effect is that we don't all have the same 'anime upbringing'. I was listening to Information High (Macross Plus) the other day and thought it was weird imagining that the number of people who know what that even is is shrinking faster than it's growing.

It would be interesting to note down the different generational 'in' shows though which somehow connect with fans in each era despite their objective mediocrity in many respects (it hurts me to say that). From Lodoss and BGC to Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh to Attack On Titan and SAO; it's funny how there are still megahits even though we're all spread out and allowed to watch all kinds of brilliant content at our leisure.

R

I like it when people mention Lodoss.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and pour myself a drink and sob quietly while listening to my image singles...

Don't sob when we can spend time re-reading/watching the manga/anime. I know I regularly do that. Azumanga is GOAT.

I think Nozomi has found the best. Nozomi Entertainment on Twitter

You know, I reckon Bubblegum Crisis/Bubblegum Crash gets its on-screen text from the same place as Gundam 0083 does.

Episode 3 of Bubblegum Crash has a computer monitor that flits through a number of displays. One of them reads:

CYBER SYSTEM
A GENERAL IDEA

That's fine, but the next screen reads:

HARD ON
GEOMETRY SPACE

I just hope I don't get in trouble with our Mods for this. Apologies in advance!

Space is pretty exciting.

And I don't think you have anything to worry about Neil, I'd have been banned a thousand times over if something as mild as that was an issue.

Nice one, ayase. ;)

Then hopefully no-one will mind if I point out that, throughout Bubblegum Crisis and Bubblegum Crash, there's a high-rise cafe called PISS. It appears on a sign on the side of the building and also on a door.

I wonder if they sell their own-brand "Piss-shake".

Neil's post in the other thread made me revisit this thread remembering some old screencaps I recently found.

From V Gundam, this is a manual on how to operate a Mobile Suit:

This Manual used GOD tanomi of komattatoki.
If you komatta then operated next File
kaitearutouri.​
Then you do flighting MS.​

First, suikomu biggest iki. Otituku kanjin.
Look at forword. You looking Lever.​

Hineru the lever. Apogee motor (there are
akikoti in MS) hunsya energie.
Hunsya timing yaru unaku computer.
In this way, bodybalance tamotu seijos.​

By the way, you do not forget beamrotor
tenkaied.
If you not tenkaied beamrotor, yagate
fail to empty energie.​

MS fling at jouzu, but this is not all.
Next important koto, Landing.
Landing difficult more than Flight.​

you have be down, slowly and slowly.
Quickly is death.
Lever hineru slowly. Throttle ?odoss​
slowly.​

Energie hunsya level ijisuru 25% Until
touchdown.​

After touchdown, meinpower switch off.
Mission complete gain down Idling level.​
w9NzNzg.jpg

It's a wonder anyone survived that show at all. I particularly like the use of "oh by the way, don't forget to do this" in a written instruction manual for piloting a massive piece of military hardware.

I'm surprised no one has brought this one up; from the very first episode of "Macross", look at the nameplate on the tram in the bottom right corner. In part I have made it a little bit hard to read due to the foul language.

macross1.jpg

Note that this scene was in "Robotech" completely unedited. Yes that's right, it was broadcast on TV station across the English speaking world, specifically during times children would watch, and seemingly not a single person noticed.

My favourite has got to be Angela from Genshiken.

Angela Burton

I can't find a decent clip of her to link to, but she was supposed to be an American character and speaks entirely in English. The problem is they did not get an actual American, or even an English speaker to voice her. Every scene she appears in gets extra unintentional comedy value because the voice is so very, very bad.

HARD ON
That's also the name of the VR game that's a major part of the story in Megazone 23 part 3. It's proudly displayed on screen and mentioned in dialogue several times, IIRC.

The first opening for Hajime no Ippo (aka Fighting Spirit) has some quality gibberish:

"I want to dive lost mind
I want to dive lost mind
I want feeling
I want to dive feeling over!!!"

I feel like the entire first OP for Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun might qualify, though tbf it's more the general ridiculousness/campiness of the song as mostly their pronunciation is decent. The song is called "Magical Babyrinth" tho like as in "Oh my girl" 🤣

Back