Favorite "Non Anime" cartoons

WalrusM3 said:
Ed, Edd and Eddy

damn right! I remember loving that show and (RANDOM STORY) when I was about 10 my brother had a German stay over and me and that dude just sat there enjoying the greatness - he almots died laughing so I guess German cartoons must not have been that funny back then! I could be wrong though

I found 3 old VHS were i tape'd some old cartoons.
Ren and stimpy,angry beavers,ed edd and eddy dexters lab were did it all go.

I found some old Ren and Stimpy comics a few days ago...toltal WTF material.

I think I watched that when I was too young...it's got to have messed me up in the head... =/

non-anime cartoons I can remember animaniacs, Freakzoid,Tom& Jerry, dungeon and dragons.... at least those were the ones I liked...

Batman:TAS along with all the followups, Superman TAS, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, the three of four movies. Listening to the director's commentaries on some of it is amusing.

In regards to one episode they had a fantastic comment:

"Now, this robot here is actually inspired by the one from Laputa. Now Hayao Miyazaki said he was inspired by Max Fleischer's Superman when he came up with how that moved, so I figure we're just returning the favour"

and a second:

"Now the spider-like movement here is fantastic, I can't remember where you got the idea for that from..."
"....Legend of the Overfiend"

Other than that stuff like Ducktales, Family Guy, American Dad, and Johnny Bravo.

Oh, and my current favourite (Which Nickelodeon have had on hiatus for MONTHS), Avatar: The Last Airbender which needs season boxes in the UK, dammit :/ My only upscaling DVD player is region 2 only :(

MrChom said:
Oh, and my current favourite (Which Nickelodeon have had on hiatus for MONTHS), Avatar: The Last Airbender which needs season boxes in the UK, dammit :/ My only upscaling DVD player is region 2 only :(

Good taste. I love this show and am absolutely gutted that I heard season 3 was the last one ;( haven't seen it yet though as I'm waiting for the R1 box set.

I thought it would suck given the obvious stylistic borrowings from anime and the cliche of an anime fan liking a cartoon influenced so much by Asian mythos but I can't help it, it's brilliant fun and going to be watched over and over in our household.

R

Rui said:
MrChom said:

Good taste. I love this show and am absolutely gutted that I heard season 3 was the last one ;( haven't seen it yet though as I'm waiting for the R1 box set.

I thought it would suck given the obvious stylistic borrowings from anime and the cliche of an anime fan liking a cartoon influenced so much by Asian mythos but I can't help it, it's brilliant fun and going to be watched over and over in our household.

R

Well the guys who created it, you only have to listen to them to see why it's so good. They run the show, and they created it, they love old martial arts films, and they love Miyazaki movies. That gives tham a level of passion for making a good show that's just missing elsewhere in the animation industry...even in some anime (see: every cycnical harem/moe show)

Invader Zim [i'm a big fan of all things Jhonen after seeing this. Though i guess reading JtHM when i was about 12 probably screwed me up somewhat]~
Megas XLR. It reeked awesome!
As did Samurai Jack.

I also used to love Courage the Cowardly Dog too. That was wierd. Very wierd.
And Billy and Mandy. I still watch that on Cartoon Network sometimes.

Maltos said:
I also used to love Courage the Cowardly Dog too. That was wierd. Very wierd.
And Billy and Mandy. I still watch that on Cartoon Network sometimes.

I love wierd cartoons, the first really wierd cartoons I remember watching are the beetlejuice cartoon and cow and chichen.

chaos said:
dungeons and dragons =) epic series, unfortunately they never animated the end.

I read the script for the last unmade episode on the net s few years back it should still be out there some where.

Dracos said:
chaos said:
dungeons and dragons =) epic series, unfortunately they never animated the end.

I read the script for the last unmade episode on the net s few years back it should still be out there some where.
I've read at least three scripts with the ending. The one that is said to be the real one seemed to be the lamest one :) anyway, I wanted that animated.

Back