Favorite "Non Anime" cartoons

Churchy99 said:
Freakazoid

Some one else who remembers this show!! :eek: I used to watch it all the time when cartoon network were showing it. I can remember watching a lot of cartoons when i was a kid, i just can't remember half of the names. The ones i can remember were things like:
Sonic The Hedgehog (The first one that came out)
Super Mario Bros
Star Wars Droids
Ewoks
Dungeon and Dragons
Thundercats
Transformers
Back to the Future animated series

as for now though, its still a mix of the above with shows like south park, Futurama, Family Guy and the original marvel cartoons that used to be on fox kids

Freakazoid was so stupid, random and clever all in one cartoon - I saw some of the episodes on youtube ages ago and they're still funny! I think one of my favourite bits is the quantam leap parody! When will they bring a DVD of it out - they did it for pinky and the brain and animaniacs but I want Freakazoid!

Akaten said:
Wanna plug a trio of films by a director by the name of Rene Laloux, that are now available to buy on DVD in the UK, not least for the undeniable influence Fantastic Planet had on Hayao Miyazaki (Nausicaä in particular).
I am quite, quite obsessed with René Laloux (and even more so with Michel Ocelot). I love how he can make such mesmerising films out of such low-budget, limited animation. In other people's hands, the way things slide and float about would just be just be bad, unrealistic animation, but he utilises it, not hides it, to create that trippy, otherworldly atmosphere… However, I doubt that Miyazaki was influenced by him – rather, I think they were both very influenced by Hieronymus Bosch.
Akaten said:
They've certainly made me want to try to find out more about European animation, perhaps there are interesting things going on most of us aren't aware of…
That's what this is for. ;) And I haven't got a section for it on my site (I don't have time to cover everything, and I'm trying to restrict myself to films of a more fantastic nature) but the French Persepolis and Danish Princess are two films doing the rounds at festivals which are probably worth seeking out. And two anime which I'd recommend you get, if like René Laloux films, are Taiyô no Ôji: Horusu no Daibôken (released on DVD in the UK as The Little Norse Prince) and the Kihachiro Kawamoto Work Collection (Tabi, in particular, is very Planète sauvage-ish – shorter, but more extreme and more fluidly animated).
Kurogane said:
If you're a guy and you dislike it, you are officially homosexual. 8)
I like it (or at least, I was surprised to find that it was an informed parody of anime, rather than an imitation of it) and I'm already homosexual (well, a Kinsey 4 or 5). So what does that make me? :wink:

Turtleheart said:
Kurogane said:
I like it (or at least, I was surprised to find that it was an informed parody of anime, rather than an imitation of it) and I'm already homosexual (well, a Kinsey 4 or 5). So what does that make me? :wink:

That kind of thinking is going to break down the whole system.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
lol always makes me laugh, so many references to other shows more along the lines that only adults or teenagers would get lol.
The DBZ inspired episode is genius lol.

Space ghost coast to coast!!!

adult_swim_spaceghost.gif

Kurogane said:
Megas XLR.

OMG That show is funny, shame they stopped showing it as often as they used to.
Also (cant remember if i mentioned this) Avatar is AMAZING! :D

I'm officially adding the ORIGINAL Superman animations; they're f*cking awesome.

Actually, that'll be my plea to you all to go see them as soon as possible-- breaking and entering, stealing, even murdering to see these epic cartoons shall be well worth it-- gold in EVERY way.

You don't see stuff like that anymore, shame...

It's still no MEGAS XLR though. 8)

I know I should probably be shot for saying this judging by past posts but what is MEGAS XLR? I want to watch it as so many of you seem to love it!

Churchy99 said:
I know I should probably be shot for saying this judging by past posts but what is MEGAS XLR? I want to watch it as so many of you seem to love it!
Here's the Wiki page for it Churchy. I've only seen the odd episode myself like. Pritty funny, just rarely seems to be on. Well, it used to be on alot more i noticed anyway.

Back to my youth both French anime style things Ulysses 31 (available on DVD) and Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors (never fully release on DVD except in France bahh).

Back