Expired/Out of Print Manga UK (pre-Manga Animatsu) titles

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
I figured it would warrant a thread because I want to cover this quite a bit for the next while or so. Manga UK's deal with Funimation has ended as we all know but that also means a bunch of titles will be going out of print as a result. I noticed quite a few early on in the year when I was guessing which titles could appear on Funimation Now UK but it seems there will be more expirations coming this year. Heck Jerome also clarified at MCM London May 2016 that they don't intend to extend licenses for their catalogue if they don't sell.

Sub-licensed by Funimation:
  • Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
  • Always My Santa
  • Baccano!
  • Baka & Test: Summon the Beasts
  • Baka & Test: Summon the Beasts Season 2
  • Baldr Force Exe
  • Black Blood Brothers
  • Chaos;Head
  • Claymore
  • D.Gray-man
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund
  • Darker Than Black
  • Eden of the East
  • Eden of the East: The King of Eden
  • Eden of the East: Paradise Lost
  • Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
  • Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance
  • Fullmetal Alchemist The Movie: Conqueror Of Shamballa
  • Ghost Hunt
  • Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor
  • Heat Guy J
  • Hellsing Ultimate: Volumes I-IV
  • Hellsing Ultimate: Volumes V-X
  • Hetalia: Axis Powers
  • Hetalia: Paint It White
  • Hetalia: World Series
  • Jyu-Oh-Sei
  • Nabari no Ou
  • Negima!? Magister Negi Magi
  • Okami-san and Her Seven Companions
  • Otogi Zoshi
  • Ouran High School Host Club
  • Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
  • Sekirei: Pure Engagement
  • Shigurui: Death Frenzy
  • Shiki
  • Strike Witches 2
  • xxxHolic
Kaze UK distribution
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion [Blu-ray]
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 [Blu-ray]
  • Princess Jellyfish
  • Professor Layton And The Eternal Diva
  • Samurai Girls
Various others that went out of print
  • Blood: The Last Vampire
  • Blue Dragon
  • Buso Renkin
  • Ghost in the Shell 2.0
  • Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 1st GIG
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
  • Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
  • Golgo 13: The Professional
  • Karas
  • Mar
  • Mega Man Starforce
  • Origin: Spirits of the Past
  • Otogi Zoshi
  • She, The Ultimate Weapon
  • Sherlock Hound
  • Space Adventure Cobra: The Movie
  • Strait Jacket
  • Street Fighter Movie Collection
  • Submarine 707R
  • Tetsujin 28
  • Tokyo Underground
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time

Last edited:
thedoctor2016 said:
So why did they get 3.33? I hope they cant get 3+1 as they dont deal with FUNi.

Because it took so goddamn long to come out, they already had the rights from years ago, even though it came out after Funi started getting in with AL.

thedoctor2016 said:
Yeah I'm sure they said they probably wouldnt get 3+1.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if AL ended up with that. With the rights expiring to the other films, and presumably 3.33 too by the time 3+1 comes out on home video, I really hope AL scoops them up and does an Ultimate Edition for them. That would be fantastic.

The more likely option is that Anno will mess around with 3+1 so much that by the time a UK distributor finally has clearance to release it here, all entertainment media will be released via pills that cause us to hallucinate the contents. So we'll get it through a lucrative deal with the NHS.

Personally I find the expiration of these titles one of the interesting things happening in the UK market right now - if you walk into any HMV, these kinds of shows were the bread and butter of what you'd find on the shelves for ages - and I'm sure we'll only see more of these drop away over the next year or so. So in a couple of years' time, will the only anime we see on store shelves be (comparitively more expensive) recent releases and none of the old 'sell 'em cheap' Manga stuff that lured in casuals.

Wow, didn't realise the SAC box-sets had expired. They'd been selling at a super low price for ages - so imagine sales on them were strong - but I had always assumed that at some point Manga would eventually push the button and do the Blu-Ray versions of them they'd always talked about on and off for ages.

Wow, didn't realise the SAC box-sets had expired. They'd been selling at a super low price for ages - so imagine sales on them were strong - but I had always assumed that at some point Manga would eventually push the button and do the Blu-Ray versions of them they'd always talked about on and off for ages.

Yeah I should re-word the title a fair bit. The SAC sets did go out of print, but given the recent announcements they still have the rights.

Back