Expensive Obsession

That's a hell of a lot of Anime & Manga you got there Butch-Cassady.

A quick calculation says I got about £3500 of Anime and over £1000 of Manga. I only tend to by full length films or short oav series nowadays - the exception being GitS SAC and Naruto.

Manga wise, I'm spending roughly £100 a month at the moment, but this should tail off once I've caught up with release schedules of the series I'm reading.

Personally my biggest expenditure (not including bills etc...) is Mountain Biking (currently have two bikes 1) On One Inbred, steel framed, fully rigid single speed, £600 and 2) Santa Cruz Chameleon, a do anything hard tail, built by me for £2500), it was motorbikes before that. The last one I had was a fully kitted out BMW R1150GS :drool:

[sensible head on]
Set your self a budget for the week or month, and try and stick to it. The temptation is to buy everything out there, you'll end up with a fine collection, but you'll also end up flogging a pile of stuff you don't like on e-bay for a pittance.
[/sensible head on]

Have fun :D

Thinking about it this hasn't been my most expensive obsession, when I used to have a Kawasaki Ninja (I really miss my bike, can't wait til I can afford a new one), I spent a fortune on it getting it track ready easily over £10,000 just on the extras, then you include trailer for the car and leather race gear, crash helmets thats another few grand. Then track days every year another £1000, insurance, tax and MOT.

Anime is a lot cheaper than that.......... I miss my bike

Yeah, I really miss having a bike too. All my leathers & off-road gear is stowed safely in the attic awaiting the day a new bike arrives. Driving everywhere is a complete bore & I heat ques.

The only fix I get at the moment is going to watch some of the BSB rounds and the British GP at Donington. But I have got my sights set on a Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM, which should fulfill the commute/play bike roll quite nicely.

Mr B said:
Yeah, I really miss having a bike too. All my leathers & off-road gear is stowed safely in the attic awaiting the day a new bike arrives. Driving everywhere is a complete bore & I heat ques.

The only fix I get at the moment is going to watch some of the BSB rounds and the British GP at Donington. But I have got my sights set on a Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM, which should fulfill the commute/play bike roll quite nicely.

I never bothered storing mine, my leathers are in my closet and my helmets are all lined up on top, that way whenever I feel the itch for a good burn I phone up one of the local bike dealers and book a test ride........ its like an addiction I just can't break, if I didn't have to pay for a holiday this year I'd be out shopping for a bike right now

I know what it feels like to be skint due to anime/manga purchases, AnimeEnchanter. My local Virgin Megastore stocks a few nice pieces, as does HMV. And my local WHSmith stock a bit of TokyoPop, after Virgin stopped stocking it...

What I tend to do is appreciate and re-watch what I already have. Do fan art of my favourite characters and read up on them, etc.

I have week willpower when it comes to buying stuff. After spending as much as I'd planned to for the month I went out with a mate round central London - BAD IDEA! I spent more. I found a great shop that sold manga at £2, so I couldn't resist! I could barely carry my bag as I bought around 15 books by the end of the day...

(I'm a sucker for bargains as well - current sales on ADV UK's and Sweatdrop's sites taunt me so...)

I have weak will power too Ushio, whenever I read a manga at work I find myself surfing the net minutes later and buying the next few volumes or similar series

i bought the rest of the elfen lied series, i couldnt help myself. then i went to page 45 and bought 4 comic books. i was soo tempted to buy the fruits basket box set from HMV but i stopped myself cus it would be a bad thing when i get home. i would get my head ripped off by my mum and step-dad. not a gud thing. i kinda like my head. :? and this was all last week. im not doin to well am i. :cry:

AnimeEnchanter said:
i bought the rest of the elfen lied series, i couldnt help myself. then i went to page 45 and bought 4 comic books. i was soo tempted to buy the fruits basket box set from HMV but i stopped myself cus it would be a bad thing when i get home. i would get my head ripped off by my mum and step-dad. not a gud thing. i kinda like my head. :? and this was all last week. im not doin to well am i. :cry:
I kinda like head too.

It's called ebay Folks. I don't spend too much, because I have a friend who likes anime and so we don't buy the same things, so it's like double buying power.

Link100p said:
It's called ebay Folks. I don't spend too much, because I have a friend who likes anime and so we don't buy the same things, so it's like double buying power.

Ah I remember being able to do that back at uni, downside was when I moved away from my mate I had to buy a shed load of anime that was on his side of the collection as I couldn't take it with me :(

ive got a while till i go to uni. but i did get a lot of my friends into anime and manga and i do sometimes borrow stuff off them. but some times i dont like the same kind of stories as them. :cry:.
traveling man have some deals on at the mo so maybe i should go there instead of page 45. ive been neglecting traveling man anyway, so i best go. :lol:[/b]

What always gets me is that most animé DVDs have an RRP of £19.99 - and yet you often get less content than a £9.99 feature film. Four episodes of a series is barely 100 minutes, and there aren't usually any substantial extra features, so how the companies can justify this price tag is beyond me.

I almost never buy animé any more - as a reviewer, I get preview discs from the publishers! :D

CNash said:
What always gets me is that most animé DVDs have an RRP of £19.99 - and yet you often get less content than a £9.99 feature film. Four episodes of a series is barely 100 minutes, and there aren't usually any substantial extra features, so how the companies can justify this price tag is beyond me.

I almost never buy animé any more - as a reviewer, I get preview discs from the publishers! :D

This give me an idea.

Do i need a reviewer lisence or review degree or something to be a reviewer?

i know what you mean. how they get away with pricing a anime DVD with less episodes the same price as a anime DVD with more episodes. is stupid. when i bought elfen lied the first vol had 4 episodes on it for £20. then the rest of the volumes had 3 episodes on it for the same price. :cry:

Just got my credit card bill I didn't realise I'd spent so much on manga last week, looks like some of my lodgers rent will be going to clear this bill

I just started that disease (manga/anime shopoholic) now and i doubt i will go to the doctor soon.... i want to start my collection, i'll buy if i have the money, dont buy if i haven't.... one pound a day then u will have manga on a saturday....

AnimeEnchanter said:
how much did you spend :?:
if you dont mind me asking. :oops:

A couple of Hundred, I basically read a few first issues and then went straight online and ordered loads of the series. BOOHOOHOO. Just been to the bank to clear the debt, my card is now free to be spent on again

X_nick_X said:
This give me an idea.

Do i need a reviewer lisence or review degree or something to be a reviewer?
Uh, no...

If you set up a website, update it regularly and be able to make a coherant sentance, then all you need to do is ask various companies for review copies.

(this applies to most things like video games etc. not just anime)

Back