Ex-Manga employees create a new company named Animatsu

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

NormanicGrav said:
Quite a shock to see this happen:

Jerome and Andrew have left Manga UK
The news, which has been relayed via Mazandarani's private Instagram account, has stated that both individuals have moved on to set up their own company, Animatsu. More details on this venture will be revealed in due course.

Crikey. This is massive news, and think it potentially explains a lot of the stuff we've been pondering re. Manga UK recently.

Suppose the obvious questions it leaves are:

1) What is Animatsu? A new physical distributor like Anime Ltd, or a streaming platform, or something else? What titles will they be focusing on?

2) What does this mean for Manga UK? Will new staff come in to head it up into 2015? Will they focus more on Netflix and move away from as many new show licenses? Is there any danger of older titles going out of print?

Interesting developments. I assume this is the reason for MangaUK's recent relative lack of new title announcements.

Thinking about it, how many people did Manga UK have on the payroll anyway? Jeremy is the only other person who immediately comes to mind, but I swear there was at least another one or two that aren't quite as "public" as Jerome, Jeremy and Andrew were.

Speaking of which - thanks for digging up that info on Yu-Gi-Oh! Jeremy! Really appreciate it.

VoxPhantom said:
Interesting developments. I assume this is the reason for MangaUK's recent relative lack of new title announcements.

It's potentially very worrying - just speaking theoretically, but say for example Stars looked at Manga's recent sales figures and were like 'Hey, these more niche titles aren't doing too great - can you lay off the new licenses a bit, sit back a bit and just let the money come in from your evergreen titles like Naruto/BRZ/Yu Gi Oh/One Piece etc and we'll bung a few bits on Netflix too to see how that works out'

As for new licenses, theoretically, imagine if there weren't any more for Q1. That was it, out lot, while they sort out their plan for the company.

Feels like 2015 could potentially be a year of big change for the UK anime industry.

The big question for me is are those 2 responsible for the poor quality releases/quality control of Manga UK?* If so they might just be trying to get away from the brand name after tarnishing it, if not they might be starting a new one for the same reasons. I love the idea of more anime companies though and if they can pull away and do a great job like Andrew has been doing over at All the Anime has been doing then maybe things might start looking up for uk anime.

*Bad chaptering, artifacting on disks, subtitle issues, minimalistic releases, poor customer service/communication, stopping runs half way through etc.

I seriously doubt that! The problems are more recent otherwise you'd be looking at QC over the last few years instead of months

Hopefully the new company Jeremy and Andrew are setting up is set to be similar to AnimeLimited, hopefully not another streaming service. Wish them the best of luck though

Oh! I hope everything is ok :( Looking forward to finding out what Animatsu is, but I feel a little worried. Good luck guys!!

I'd like to think it wouldn't be a streaming service - that market is crowded enough as it is. But who knows.

I'm all for them being a new, exciting Anime Ltd style company - and to be fair, it does increasingly look like the market for physical anime releases is going toward that more premium angle. Now, whether that means we'll reach Aniplex/Japan levels of cost/deluxe-ness is another question entirely.

I hope not. I am not interested in extras that artificially inflate the price like cards and artbooks; I mean I barely ever look at them once I have them. All I want the best quality possible video and sound for my series disks and to have them on blu ray, the slimmer the case the better as it means I can fit more!

I stopped collecting anime years back because the cost was just not worth the investment and amount of space they took up (4 episodes a time at £10-£15). I've slowly come back into it again and fallen in love with it all over again but I will break it off if the cost gets too high again.

I wonder who will be in charge of acquisitions for Manga UK from here on out...

Even if they want to cut back to just the mainstream stuff, they'll need someone to do that role for them.

As it's not been posted yet, here is a description of Animatsu:

Animatsu Entertainment Ltd is a brand new force in the UK and European content acquisition, publishing and production business with a keen eye on fan-focused entertainment brands across anime, videogames, YouTube and social media.

In addition, we want to offer our expertise in community building and grass-roots driven marketing activity particularly on Britain and Europe's fan convention floor. I successfully established MangaUK as one of the most popular fan brands in the UK by making MangaUK a destination retailer at the MCM Comic Con events around the UK as well as via Twitter and Facebook. I believe that Comic Con presence and activity is essential to any entertainment brand seeking audience approval and its own dedicated community of fans. We want to help these brands to achieve this while generating amazing ROI on their comic con experience.

Stay tuned to find out what incredible brands we will be working with.

The future is customizable!

Taken from Jerome's Linkedin, the final line is the most intriguing thing there.

Wow. That's some big news. I saw over at UKAnime that it might be possible they weren't happy with all the limitations Manga's parent company placed upon them, sounds like a legit reason to me, that sort of thing could be frustrating but hey, who knows why either way. like others have said, it sounds like this will be a big shake up for 2015. I do wonder how MangaUK will go forward too.

Interested in this new company Andrew & Jerome have made. Hopefully we can get some details soon, streaming? new licensing company? If they're a new licensing company I wonder what their game plan could be ...

Edit: antonusklesk post makes me believe they'll be focusing on releasing Games, Anime, Books, etc? Maybe a focus on crowd funding? It's very very interesting, look forward to finding out more.

Edit 2: Possible Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animatsu ... 55?sk=info ..Made on 11/11/2014.
Twitter maybe? https://twitter.com/animatsuuk

antonusklesk said:
As it's not been posted yet, here is a description of Animatsu:

Animatsu Entertainment Ltd is a brand new force in the UK and European content acquisition, publishing and production business with a keen eye on fan-focused entertainment brands across anime, videogames, YouTube and social media.

In addition, we want to offer our expertise in community building and grass-roots driven marketing activity particularly on Britain and Europe's fan convention floor. I successfully established MangaUK as one of the most popular fan brands in the UK by making MangaUK a destination retailer at the MCM Comic Con events around the UK as well as via Twitter and Facebook. I believe that Comic Con presence and activity is essential to any entertainment brand seeking audience approval and its own dedicated community of fans. We want to help these brands to achieve this while generating amazing ROI on their comic con experience.

Stay tuned to find out what incredible brands we will be working with.

The future is customizable!

Taken from Jerome's Linkedin, the final line is the most intriguing thing there.

This makes them sound almost like a UK version of someone like Rooster Teeth, bringing in the game and YouTube/social community aspects.

When it comes to "customizable"... remember those special cases Jerome was fond of a while back?

This is definitely an interesting development, hopefully we'll get some more information about it soon.

Well that came out of nowhere.

The description does not really sound like your typical licensing/distribution company. It sounds more like one of these behind the scenes situations wherein they undertake services on behalf of more front-facing companies. Thus, you might expect them not to have too much of a presence with the consumer directly.

Post #666 THE DEVIL!!!!!

A little anxious about this as Jerome has always seemed to have nothing but scorn for premium releases, but the description posted so far is vague about what the new venture will actually be doing. It's also weird to think that Manga UK might eventually disappear; it's still got some huge brands under its wing but it's seemed stuck in the past for a while (and it's probably not impossible that Jerome will eventually take some of those big shows on for future seasons, as he might have established relationships with the licensors).

In the meantime, it is strange to think I can visit the Manga UK Twitter without becoming annoyed.

I almost had a heart attack when I checked this thread on my phone and saw that Andrew (assuming the other Andrew) and Jerome had run away to make a new company together (lol).

R

Good luck to him. I hope to find that he wasn't complisant in the mangling that Manga is want to be party to.

Back