Evangelion vs RahXephon - The Rematch

After finally completing the RahXephon series (those who rmember me knew I was only about half-way through it at the time) I have to say that I don't rate it any less or anymore than Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Both shows make me wobbly at the knees...

I've only seen the 1st episode of RaXephon after seeing it on sale in Virgin ages ago. I must say I never really gotten into it and felt bored after the first episode, but I can't say much because I might change my mind after seeing the rest of the episodes. As for Evangelion, I've watched ep1.-20 and I do kinda like it, it's a true classic ^^

I would deffinately choose Evangelion over Rahxephon anyday. I mean come on, Evangelion was and still is to this day a very hard-hitting series. Rahxephon was good, but nowhere near the scale of Evangelion.

I'm new here and I'm currently half way through Rah and have been a big Eva fan for a couple of years.

Firstly I'd agree that some of us Eva fans who really love the show do a disservice to it by declaring it as the best anime and such.Although I find it a bit strange that this changes people's opinion of it.Fairly mediocre shows like Full Metal Alchemist and Noir get a lot of undeserved hype and no says the same thing about them.

However on this issue I would have to say that as far as I can see Rah isn't even in the same league as Eva.Rah is more in the same league as Big O which I personally felt was more creative.

I'd heard that Rah was quite similar to Eva but I didn't expect it to be this similar.The Durac Sea episode of Eva is basically repeated in Rah but spread over two episodes.I actually felt embarrased at times.

I also find Rah's plot to be completely all over the place and not well written. The fact that Ayato is a Mulian is only brought home to him when he over hears a conversation. Doesn't it ever occur to him that "My mother's an alien so maybe I'm an alien too". That really pissed me off. Also it hasn't been made clear whether the people in Tokyo Jupiter are all aliens or not.

Some people have said that Eva's filled with psychobable.Quon from Rah is talking absolute gibberish for most of the series. At least the introspection that takes place in Eva has meaning.

Another petty criticism of Eva is that Shinji is whining all the time and generally not likeable.Not true.His attitude changes notably after episode six and he remains fairly confident up till 23 only then after feeling distanced from everyone does he revert to his previous state. In any case com'n what kind of artistic criticism is that?
The Godfather is supposedly the best movie ever made and the main characters in that are gangsters killing people. That's not very likebale.

Back