Eh? Gurren-Lagann

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
Not sure how new this news is but I was browsing ANN and they have a list of all the people in the dub of the almighty Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann. Although, I don't think ADV have the "Tengen Toppa" part of the name since most places dealing with the release are only listing it as something like "Gurren Lagann - Vol. 1 - The Breakout". The dub list is as follows:

Brett Weaver as Kamina
Josh Grelle as Simon
Luci Christian as Nia Teppelin
Tiffany Grant as Yoko Ritona
Brittney Karbowski as Kinon
Chris Patton as Rossiu
Greg Ayres as Gimmy
Hilary Haag as Darry
Jason Douglas as Kittan
John Gremillion as Dayakka Ritona
Kira Vincent-Davis as Kiyal
Mark X. Laskowski as Leeron
Monica Rial as Boota, Kiyoh
Vic Mignogna as Viral

I recognize quite a few of the names, Mainly Vic Mignogna from being Ed. Also, I recognize Chris Patton, Tiffany Grant and Greg Ayres, Although I'm not sure exactly where from though. =/ I think I'll be watching it subtitled first time round anyhow. ADV UK are releasing it as far as I know.

Not another thing with Greg Ayres his whiney voice gets to me, he was not too bad in spiral which I just watched but as the pope in trinity blood I was rooting for the other side to do him in.

Eeeh, I really think I'll be sticking to the subtitled one, I'm personally sick of hearing Tiffany Grant, Vic Mignogna (Viral? D: I dread it), and Monical Rial (AAUGH) especially.

I recognise a lot of them, Luci Christian, Tiffany Grant, Chris Patton, Vic, all i've seen loads of times. Chris and Luci seem to work together a bit, What with being Kaname and Sagara in FMP and so on, still i'll look forward to the dub when its released, though sub will be first.

The problem with a lot of dub actors is that they seem to have very little range and sound virtually the same in everything they're in.

Not so bad, the names I recognise aren't awful, Chris Patton's alright (though he is in everything) and there are a few other decent VA's in there. Here's hoping Bret Weaver does Kaminas voice right, I think the quality of the dub may hinge on it considering the amount of ranting he does.

Jayme said:
Vic Mignogna as Viral

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

I dunno whether to be be happy or sad, I'm waiting for this performance, is it coincedence that Vic also does Ikkaku as does Nobuyuki Hiyama!?

Somehow I ******* knew Vic would be Viral, don't let me down, Vic. : D

EDIT: lol @ people BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWing @ the dubcast already, considering none of you have heard the dub yet.

I recognise most of the names there, and most seem to be pretty competent so I'm sure they'll do a good job with the dub. And if they don't, I can always watch it subbed!

All I hope is that it is as good as eveybody is making out. Got my R1 pre-order in ready now just got to wait, I think the release date is 26/02/2008.

Lupus Inu said:
Roadie said:
ttgl dubbed? please don't...

Please do. Elabourate as to why it shouldn't.
Two words: Tiffany Grant.

I'm not saying the can't act (she can, very well in fact) but as a voice actor I don't rate her at all - she sounds EXACTLY the same in everything she stars in, whatever role she's playing. To me that's a sign of a VA with zero versatility.

I'm not too fussed about the dub overall TBH, I'm just overjoyed that such an awesome show is being released on DVD. I can't wait to see it through to the end.

The main question to those of you who are saying "looking at those names, I'll be watching it subbed":

-Would you have watched it subbed regardless? Is that your preference?

As for the actors in them, they are all very talented and the dub will most likely sound good. That said, I'm thinking twice about watching the series due to the fanboyish nature of its fans, complaining at a moments notice.

Martin said:
Lupus Inu said:
Roadie said:
ttgl dubbed? please don't...

Please do. Elabourate as to why it shouldn't.
Two words: Tiffany Grant.

I'm not saying the can't act (she can, very well in fact) but as a voice actor I don't rate her at all - she sounds EXACTLY the same in everything she stars in, whatever role she's playing. To me that's a sign of a VA with zero versatility.
I see what you did there.

But her character isn't exactly important to the series anyway seeing as she's just Fan Service on legs.

Tiffany Grant does have a very distinctive twang to her voice, but so do some Japanese actresses. Take Kikuko Inoue, for instance. I love her voice, but at the same time I can always pick her out of a crowd. The same can be said about Tiffany Grant.

Fudce said:
Take Kikuko Inoue, for instance. I love her voice, but at the same time I can always pick her out of a crowd. The same can be said about Tiffany Grant.
I can say the exact same thing for Kappei Yamaguchi, no matter what role it is he ALWAYS has the same voice. Though I still love his voice anyway.

But yeah, GURREN LAGANN DUB, SPIN ON!!!

I think Tiffany Grant has the potential to be an awesome dub actor, if she just tuned her voice to her characters more finely, rather than just sounding like a bad version of Asuka from Eva all the time. She was incredibly good as Asuka, though :]

Martin said:
I'm not too fussed about the dub overall TBH, I'm just overjoyed that such an awesome show is being released on DVD. I can't wait to see it through to the end.

I think it must be in some fans' blood to bash dubs even when they don't intend to watch them in the first place. Weird.

CitizenGeek said:
I think Tiffany Grant has the potential to be an awesome dub actor, if she just tuned her voice to her characters more finely, rather than just sounding like a bad version of Asuka from Eva all the time. She was incredibly as Asuka :]

Martin said:

I think it must be in some fans' blood to bash dubs even when they don't intend to watch them in the first place. Weird.
I'm not bashing the dub at all - namely since I haven't even heard it yet! I can be fairly sure I won't like Tiffany Grant's contribution on the other hand since it's obvious that she will sound exactly the same as she always does ('distinctive twang' does sound more polite than 'zero versatility' or 'grating' though).

I don't bash dubs myself, but from seeing the cast, and reminding myself on what some of these voice actors sound like, I don't exactly have very high hopes for a fantastic dub.
As for Tiffany Grant, she is one of the reasons why I'm not expecting greatness. Sure she was brilliant as Asuka, but that's all I can remember myself liking her as.
That also goes for Vic. He was great as Edward in FMA, but that is it. It's like after that he made no effort in his voices, or at least it seemed that way for me :/

I normally watch dubs, and except for really distinctive voices I can normally just ignore it and see and hear the character in front of me. But for some reason at the moment many of the series I am buyng seem to just run to Greg Ayres when they need whiney kid, which in many series is not too bad as the character is not on screen too long, except I just got Ragnarok and he is one of the main characters. Another VA that seems to be being used more is Chris Patton, but I like his voice so it is not too bad but he could get over used.

Back