DVDFab Passkey is Free till the end of the month!

Sweet. I recently switched from DVDFab to AnyDVD, but once my AnyDVD licence runs out, I'll switch back with this.

Thanks for the heads up! Already had a couple of years paid for, but might as well extend it to eternity...

Recently bought a lifetime upgrade for AnyDVD HD personally, but assuming this does exactly the same thing then it's pretty good for anyone who has a BD Drive in their PC.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was previously making by using freebies, so hopefully this will work a bit better and make things easier...

Wow, thanks! I actually ordered a external blu-ray player for my PC so I could watch region A blu-rays, and was thinking of posting a topic asking for your opinions on good software, but this really helps!

EDIT: How long does it usually take to receive a mail? I entered my e-mail address right at the time I made this post (20-something minutes ago) and I still haven't received it. I'm just wondering, is all.

Y2Johnny said:
EDIT: How long does it usually take to receive a mail? I entered my e-mail address right at the time I made this post (20-something minutes ago) and I still haven't received it. I'm just wondering, is all.

Check your spam folder, mine came through to gmail in seconds.

Buzz201 said:
Y2Johnny said:

Check your spam folder, mine came through to gmail in seconds.

Thanks, but I've still got nothing :(

I'm curious, once you get the pass key is it permanent (i.e. you'll have it forever) or is it only until the end of the month by which you'll then have to pay to keep it?

NormanicGrav said:
I'm curious, once you get the pass key is it permanent (i.e. you'll have it forever) or is it only until the end of the month by which you'll then have to pay to keep it?

It's a lifetime subscription. The offer just lasts until the end of the month, by then you'd have to buy the subscription. Kind of like how Windows 10 is operating. Free upgrade forever for the first year after release, then you'd have to pay if you haven't claimed it.

Already solved the problem, I couldn't add another mail adress because my IP already had a registered request, but I asked a friend to do it for me and I've got it working now. Worked wonderfully for a DVD, now hopefully it will work with blu-rays as well (the drive should arrive tomorrow, but I dunno when I'll be able to test it, as my blu-rays (I also own blu-ray/DVD combos, since while the BDs don't work in my player, the DVDs do) are all stored away right now because of some painting over here). Fingers crossed!

Anyone know if this would work with an Optical Drive for a PC/Laptop?

Y2Johnny said:
Already solved the problem, I couldn't add another mail adress because my IP already had a registered request, but I asked a friend to do it for me and I've got it working now. Worked wonderfully for a DVD, now hopefully it will work with blu-rays as well (the drive should arrive tomorrow, but I dunno when I'll be able to test it, as my blu-rays (I also own blu-ray/DVD combos, since while the BDs don't work in my player, the DVDs do) are all stored away right now because of some painting over here). Fingers crossed!

Let us know how it goes! Planning to get a new laptop soon, so it would be good to know that it runs with an optical drive on a PC/Laptop. :)

Jatz said:

Should work with any disc drive for your PC/laptop. I don't think optical or otherwise makes a difference.

Even if it doesn't work, it's probably worth getting the keyfile and keeping just in case you want the product in the future.

Buzz201 said:
Jatz said:

Should work with any disc drive for your PC/laptop. I don't think optical or otherwise makes a difference.

Even if it doesn't work, it's probably worth getting the keyfile and keeping just in case you want the product in the future.

Ah. Thanks. I'm not really all that knowledgeable when it comes to computers. :oops:

Did just that. I'll get an Optical Drive and see how it goes. :)

Got a passkey. Possible future use as my BR drive on laptop is dead...

Anyone know what their ripping software is like and understand anything about how much the supposed deal to upgrade to it would work out as? I'm thinking it could be the solution for eva BR subs...

On a related note there's an article on theregister about when a US judge tried to ban dvdfab... so they must be doing something right.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/24 ... n_fengtao/

Jatz said:
Ah. Thanks. I'm not really all that knowledgeable when it comes to computers. :oops:

Did just that. I'll get an Optical Drive and see how it goes. :)
I can confirm it works with my external optical blu-ray drive (I wasn't 100% sure it was optical, but I googled it).

It's making the right noises with my Region A copy of Kick-Ass on blu-ray, I'll see in a minute if it works (It's been running for almost 3 minutes now)...

Edit: Yup, definitely working fine with my optical drive.

msgeek said:
Got a passkey. Possible future use as my BR drive on laptop is dead...

Anyone know what their ripping software is like and understand anything about how much the supposed deal to upgrade to it would work out as? I'm thinking it could be the solution for eva BR subs...

On a related note there's an article on theregister about when a US judge tried to ban dvdfab... so they must be doing something right.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/24 ... n_fengtao/

It used to be excellent, but I've heard reports that they removed AACS decryption in newer versions, so I never upgraded. I could maybe help with recommendations, if you wanted, but I haven't imported any blu-rays in a while, as I have been broke.

Edit: Passkey can do it, but it's giving me a time of 2/3 hours at the moment, so you'd probably want to find something quicker.

Buzz201 said:
It used to be excellent, but I've heard reports that they removed AACS decryption in newer versions, so I never upgraded. I could maybe help with recommendations, if you wanted, but I haven't imported any blu-rays in a while, as I have been broke.

I'd be interested in hearing recommendations around good BR ripping SW (I assume that's what you meant)... I'm getting to a stage now with my BR collection that I've invested a fair chunk of money and having some form of legitimate backup is starting to look like a very good idea...

edit: saw your edit.

You mean passkey itself can BR rip???

I assume it is either CPU / Disk / BR Drive Speed bound which shouldn't be a problem for me...

msgeek said:
Buzz201 said:

I'd be interested in hearing recommendations around good BR ripping SW (I assume that's what you meant)... I'm getting to a stage now with my BR collection that I've invested a fair chunk of money and having some form of legitimate backup is starting to look like a very good idea...

DVDFab's HD Decrypter used to be good, but I'm stuck with version 8, as I couldn't get version 9 to let me use the part of the software that is supposedly free. You should still be able to get version 8 from their website, and you can install both on the same machine. I don't know but it's possible you'll be able to use Passkey in conjunction with the main DVDFab software and get all of it's features working. I haven't tried it, so it's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

But there's another tool called MakeMKV which can either be used to turn individual files into MKVs or to create a back-up of the whole disc. (Which is what I normally do, but be prepared because it uses mountains of space.) MakeMKV is free whilst it's in beta, and has been in beta for about 5 years now.

msgeek said:
edit: saw your edit.

You mean passkey itself can BR rip???

I assume it is either CPU / Disk / BR Drive Speed bound which shouldn't be a problem for me...
Yes, assuming it's a PC you're using, when you insert a disc and have fully opened it, go to the Passkey logo in the status section of the taskbar, right click select "Rip to Hard Disk", then select the source drive and destination folder.

From the 5 minutes I gave it, it copied 1gb. It may have been taking up more of my hard drive space than it did on the disc. I couldn't tell.

It did seem to warm itself up and dropped to a more standard 90 minutes for a 46gb disc.

Back